PDA

View Full Version : Show to Look For This Summer

05-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Months ago HDPW said we were booking a vacation and we weren't going to Las Vegas. We were actually going to block out time and go somewhere. So we went to New York last week. The first Tribeca Film Festival was going on, so we got some tickets to a great documentary after a struggle to get through to book them. (You had to book them or try your luck at a central box office. Some were sold out, so it wasn't too easy.) Anyway, it is called "Mai's America" and will appear on PBS in August. Try to watch it, check your listings then. (I will try to remember to post then too) It is a film about a high school exchange student who comes from Hanoi and ends up in Mississippi. The first family she was with is such a stereotypically awful family. They admit they're rednecks, but seeing them watch TV sprawled out on the couch in sweatpants while waiting for the disability check to come brings some of the worst of America home. Anyway, Mai ends up having some pretty interesting experiences finishing high school and going to Tulane. Her real family in Vietnam causes some problems too with their beliefs. Very interesting film. The end is scary. Watch it. It is an interesting view of America. It won't be as good for those of you who don't have a perfect lunch at the Tribeca Grill first, see it in a theater a couple blocks from the WTC site with a view of part of the hole from the windows in the theater, or see the filmmaker field questions afterwards, but it's well worth watching.

And no, I didn't once suggest checking out the Taj in AC or trying to find a cardroom in New York. Last week was to get the HDPM some culture.

05-12-2002, 04:22 PM
I looked on the internet and saw that the film will show Thursday at 7:30 in the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Confirm there, but it is worth a look.

05-12-2002, 05:12 PM
I thought fishin was the only culture a good ole boy needed. I thought you said you lived in Idaho?

Hell, throw in a bit of huntin and your well rounded.

05-12-2002, 07:20 PM
just when you had reached hero status...you pull a stunt like this hdpm...oh well, no ones perfect..tell me you are worried the hdpw might see these posts...that you slipped her a date drug...and headed to taj...just to get back as she woke up...oh honey..you were gr8...lol..gl

05-14-2002, 05:26 AM