PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging I Love Yous

11-29-2005, 08:09 PM
i am a veteran poster here using an anonymous account for a variety of reasons. this poll should be self-explanatory, but the main idea is to discuss the protocol and experiences behind exchanging the first 'i love you's with a girlfriend. please answer in as many boxes as apply for as many times as you have had a successful exchange of the 'i love you' sentiment. instances where one of you said it and the other never did do not apply. discussion is encouraged. thank you for your participation.

jdl22
11-29-2005, 08:12 PM
el diablo,

Your identity is already a secret. Why bother creating a fake account?

private joker
11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Does it count if it was before/after I SIIHV? I don't like the P -- only the V. Or am I taking this OOT acronym too literally?

PokerFink
11-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Only girl I loved was roughly 3 months. Deflowering occured shortly after. (Yes, I had a quintessential highschool sweetheart relationship)

After her, I was hooking up with a freshman (I was a Sr) who asked "Is it too early to tell you I love you?" the first time we made out. I simply said "yes" and ignored it.

DrSavage
11-29-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only girl I loved was roughly 3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I've heard about pedophilia, but 3 months, man ...

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 08:52 PM
dids first told me he loved me about 30 min ago. i wish i could remember what my reply was but im a lil too drunk. ssory,.

11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi David Sklansky,

Generally, I wait until she says it before I do, so I dont end up giving her the power to enslave me.

MEbenhoe
11-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Soiler,

When was the first time you told Schneids you loved him? How did he respond?

Thanks,
Matt

tonypaladino
11-29-2005, 11:43 PM
"Veteran Poster",

You didn't limit the poll options so I selected everything.
If people would just post under their regular name, they would get better answers. I don't understand the point of this BS.

TP

WackityWhiz
11-29-2005, 11:44 PM
SIIHV ... HIV is too apparant in that acronym.

3 months - I said it, she got down on her knees

MEbenhoe
11-29-2005, 11:45 PM
TP,

I agree. "veteran poster" would have gotten much better answers had he simply posted under his regular name. I also like how when you use initials your name makes me think of Toilet Paper.

Also with cool initials,
ME

shant
11-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Why would you need an anonymous account for this?

private joker
11-30-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SIIHV ... HIV is too apparant in that acronym.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice catch. I've had a problem with sketchy acronyms on 2+2 this year.

Pooper it is!

jason_t
11-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Stop worrying about "the protocol" and start doing what feels right. With my current girlfriend it came two weeks into the relationship and it felt right and not omg too fast.

11-30-2005, 01:01 AM
i figure, if you blurt out, "i love you," and she overreacts, the damn relationship wasnt gonna work out anyway.

she woulda found something to freak out about. so, you might as well give her the chance to freak out when you decide/feel/realize you love her, instead of waiting until you're deep in it and she STILL flips out.

the couple times i've been in love (heh, who else looks back at their 15/16 year old "loves" and laughs hysterically?), i've said it quite early. i only ever had one flip out.

ymmv.

jaydub
11-30-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi David Sklansky,

Generally, I wait until she says it before I do, so I dont end up giving her the power to enslave me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Snowball,

I generally wait until after the first date

Mason Hellmuth
11-30-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop worrying about "the protocol" and start doing what feels right.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds like bad advice, but I can't prove it.

Also, I bet OP used a fake account because his girlfriend lurks here.

11-30-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what makes this thread so [censored] hilarious. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Mason Hellmuth
11-30-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Resident Cynic

[/ QUOTE ]
I approve.

11-30-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi David Sklansky,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Snowball,

I generally wait until after the first date

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh baby, gonna gets me some insurance mony mony and some cheap hookers, oooooohhh yeaaaaaaaa

private joker
11-30-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With Entity and Shant it came two weeks into the relationship and it felt right and not omg too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

imported_anacardo
11-30-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With Entity, Shant, and PITTM it came two weeks into the relationship and it felt right and not omg too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Son of a bitch. I was torn between either this angle, or else some snide reference to his having broken up Alizee's marriage. In my indecision, I was had. Brutally had. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Are you at least going to give her a Working Girl's 'A'?

diebitter
11-30-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'd give exactly the same advice. I also always seriously fk up here, so do the opposite! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

KDawgCometh
11-30-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With Entity and Shant it came two weeks into the relationship and it felt right and not omg too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

you left out Dids too

KDawgCometh
11-30-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, this is great advice. I'm not surprised that Jason said this though, he's a dude with a lot of love in him

private joker
11-30-2005, 02:30 AM
I don't know what's good or bad advice. From my experience, usually when people say it, it's like stating the obvious anyway. Like, when it's finally out loud, it's because both people know it already. A good rule of thumb is: if one of you is going to be surprised to hear it, you shouldn't say it.

jason_t
11-30-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what's good or bad advice. From my experience, usually when people say it, it's like stating the obvious anyway. Like, when it's finally out loud, it's because both people know it already. A good rule of thumb is: if one of you is going to be surprised to hear it, you shouldn't say it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to add that I mean in general stop worrying about protocols regarding how many days to wait to call back, etc. and just do what comes naturally.

KDawgCometh
11-30-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true dat. Its just one of those things that many people twist themselves all over. The fact is, your feelings are your feelings, so what does it really matter on how long you should be with someone to say it and whatnot

jason_t
11-30-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

true dat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a Chicago thing? I was just realizing all the people that I know that say this regularly are from Chicago.

Edit to add: One of them even looks like you.

imported_anacardo
11-30-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

true dat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a Chicago thing? I was just realizing all the people that I know that say this regularly are from Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned it first as a Tyler, TX thing.

craig r
11-30-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

true dat.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned it first as a Tyler, TX thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Houston and when someone would say "tru dat", we would always call them posers and tell them that they won't ever be as cool as the kids from Tyler.

craig

Mason Hellmuth
11-30-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact is, your feelings are your feelings, so what does it really matter on how long you should be with someone to say it and whatnot

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is, as Bright pointed out, saying this too early could give her too much power. You definitely have to be careful.

KDawgCometh
11-30-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

true dat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit to add: One of them even looks like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, I didn't start using that phrase full time until I got out to jersey.

that's weird that they kinda look like me, small world

KDawgCometh
11-30-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact is, your feelings are your feelings, so what does it really matter on how long you should be with someone to say it and whatnot

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is, as Bright pointed out, saying this too early could give her too much power. You definitely have to be careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, its not a line that should just be thrown around, so if you seriously feel that way, then what does it matter when it gets said.

Personally, I've never been in love, so I really wouldn't know how to approach the situation other then saying if the OP trully feels that he loves his GF, then by all means say it to her

jason_t
11-30-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you people seriously worry about [censored] like this?

nothumb
11-30-2005, 03:02 AM
Worthy of an insta-ban in my opinion. Terrible, stupid poll.

I think posters who do this should be outed by the mods immediately.

NT

imported_anacardo
11-30-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there is a type of relationship - the far more common kind, actually - in which considerations like this really are important. You, however, have nothing to do with such considerations. Demographic Problem. I've posted about it quite a bit.

11-30-2005, 03:05 AM
I used to seriously over analyze [censored] like this, thinking about exactly when to call, what to say, and all that, and then I realized taht unless it comes naturally and isnt planned, it's kinda like lying, and the relationship is crap anyways.

If she doesnt dig the real you, your timing, and all that, there are literally billions of fishies in the sea. Move the hell on, its not worth agonizing over.

KDawgCometh
11-30-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there is a type of relationship - the far more common kind, actually - in which considerations like this really are important. You, however, have nothing to do with such considerations. Demographic Problem. I've posted about it quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is pretty sad if you think about it. I really don't think that I would date a girl where I'm worried about giving up the pull or whatnot, cest la vie

imported_anacardo
11-30-2005, 03:18 AM
You too are no doubt on the Short Side of the fence. I'm sure a disproportionate number of 2+2ers are.

diebitter
11-30-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to seriously over analyze [censored] like this, thinking about exactly when to call, what to say, and all that, and then I realized taht unless it comes naturally and isnt planned, it's kinda like lying, and the relationship is crap anyways.

If she doesnt dig the real you, your timing, and all that, there are literally billions of fishies in the sea. Move the hell on, its not worth agonizing over.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting idea. Fall in love, tell the girl, and if she don't dig it, hitch up and move on.

This 'falling in love' thing actually makes insta-moveon a little difficult /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KDawgCometh
11-30-2005, 03:21 AM
don't doubt it. I just feel that if I'm with a girl, its cause we both are feeling the same way about each other more often then not. of course, maybe I'm just in some romantic pipe dream that may or may not exist

11-30-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting idea. Fall in love, tell the girl, and if she don't dig it, hitch up and move on.

This 'falling in love' thing actually makes insta-moveon a little difficult /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously.

however, I am of the opinion that a man can "fall in love" with any woman, since "love" is really only a byproduct of becoming extremely familiar with a person, and coming to enjoy their little quirks and what-have-you.

I think that it all comes down to a certain assumption. When I used to over-analyze, and think about everything, it was because I felt like I was walking on eggshells, and if I did something wrong, it would be over. Hence, I would assume that if nothing was said, or something went off a little weird, it was because they DIDNT want to be with me.

Now I just assume they do, and let them tell me when Im wrong, saves me the headache.

imported_anacardo
11-30-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
however, I am of the opinion that a man can "fall in love" with any woman, since "love" is really only a byproduct of becoming extremely familiar with a person, and coming to enjoy their little quirks and what-have-you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think this is true at all. I'm extremely familiar with the personal habits of any number of women that I loathe.

11-30-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously...move on and find a new table with a VPIP >40% where the women will fold to any check-raise. [censored], I play too much poker.

uw_madtown
11-30-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

you left out Dids too

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dear Bison,

Jason's never said "I love you" to me. He just sends /images/graemlins/heart.gif all the time. Is this his way of hinting that he doesn't love me as much as other sstakers?

- Madtown

Mason Hellmuth
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I do, and no girlfriend has ever tried to kill me.

Make of that what you will.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think this is true at all. I'm extremely familiar with the personal habits of any number of women that I loathe.

[/ QUOTE ]

but do you enjoy them (their quirks)? And I didnt say we DO fall in love with every woman, but that we COULD. Because we can make ourselves look past things.

We shouldn't, but I think alot of it is due to popular culture. Look at damn near every peice of media out there, and you'll see that a "happy ending" (here come the massage jokes) is only attainable when love conquers all, yada ya.

I dont feel like my life will only be complete when I have a chick, and this helps in that Im no longer desparate for it.

That's a point I think most people need to reach on their own before trying to be in a committed relationship.