PDA

View Full Version : Folding a Really Pretty hand 5/10 6 Max

Jman28
11-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Haven't noticed anything unusual about the villain. He hasn't been here long. I've been a LAG, and cont. betting 1/2-3/4 pot like a mofo.

What would you do differently here? and what now?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) wacki's version of bison (http://parazen.bio.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/tc.cgi)

Button ($837.62)
SB ($953)
BB ($453)
Hero ($1093)
MP ($1611.64)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif, J /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $30, SB (poster) calls $25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($100) Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif, K /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, Button calls $50, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $200</font>, Hero calls $150, Button folds.

Turn: ($550) J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB pushes</font>, Hero ..

Alexthegreat
11-29-2005, 07:58 PM
push the flop

greg nice
11-29-2005, 07:59 PM
you need to ask yourself what he has when he raises the flop, then play accordingly.

flawless_victory
11-29-2005, 08:01 PM
why didt you just disconnect?

Chaostracize
11-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Yup. That, and bet more the first time around.

BIgMc
11-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Does this guy reraise preflop with ak?? If so, that's the only hand I see you beating in this situation. Must fold. He has kq, kj, set 4's, or AK. Your draw isn't profitable enough.

xorbie
11-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Raise more PF, pot the flop, push.

GimmeDaWatch
11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
It seems a little weird that he would make such a huge overbet with a hand huge enough to beat yours, but I guess the board is so ridicuously draw heavy that he doesnt want to see about a 3rd of the deck on the river. KQ and 44 are the real fears, dunno tough spot. Regardless of your draw, if you're beat you're obviously not getting the right price to call, but if broke it down to a decent % of the time him maybe having AK or the nut flush draw it'd be close. I'd guess your beat here the majority of the time.

creedofhubris
11-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I lean towards calling new guys until they prove to me they are not idiots.

But then again, I play on a small site where I know all the regulars.

Jman28
11-29-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please excuse my total ring game newbieness, but why all the large betting? (I'm talking about raising more pf and potting flops)

It seems that most of you guys do it, while in tournaments, most of the top players raise and bet smaller. Is there a post you could point me toward that explains the advantages/disadvantages of larger betting? Or could you sum in up for me? I'd really appreciate it.

11-29-2005, 10:01 PM
If you're always betting 1/2 pot then it can become difficult to build a pot when you have a big hand. It's nice to steal pots for cheap amounts but it's also nice to stack opponents.
Opponents may also be willing to look up your 1/2 pot continuation bets more often than a bigger bet.

I think the reason you should bet more on this particular flop is to orchestrate the betting so that if you are raised you can push and not require as much folding equity than if you had pushed flop in actual hand.

You should be wary of stack sizes though. If button and sb had $750 in this hand then a pot bet is not so good because if they raise they are more likely to pot commit themselves with Kx.

Alexthegreat
11-29-2005, 10:10 PM
In cash games you would always like to play big pots with your big hands...If someone draws out on you, you can rebuy...

In a tournament you can't rebuy, so keeping pots small when you don't have a huge edge or an unbeatable hand is worthwhile....

Also, in cash games it is a good habit to make all your bets and raises the same size, so it is hard to get a read on you...

Maulik
11-29-2005, 10:49 PM
aside from building the pot jman mucks the turn quickly.

Maulik
11-29-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4x or more?

Jman28
11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In cash games you would always like to play big pots with your big hands...If someone draws out on you, you can rebuy...

In a tournament you can't rebuy, so keeping pots small when you don't have a huge edge or an unbeatable hand is worthwhile....

Also, in cash games it is a good habit to make all your bets and raises the same size, so it is hard to get a read on you...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to bump this thread. I've tried making larger bets like you guys suggested, and I'm not feeling good about my game now. Is it a matter of me needing to adjust to the 'correct' way to play, or should I stick with what I'm comfortable with?

Maulik
11-30-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to bump this thread. I've tried making larger bets like you guys suggested, and I'm not feeling good about my game now. Is it a matter of me needing to adjust to the 'correct' way to play, or should I stick with what I'm comfortable with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should keep playing what you're comfortable with. You've got to pick your spots for the big overbets, they don't arise often, but the more you mess up the more you'll see whether you liked it or loved it.

Howard Treesong
11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does this guy reraise preflop with ak?? If so, that's the only hand I see you beating in this situation. Must fold. He has kq, kj, set 4's, or AK. Your draw isn't profitable enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Your your made two pair and flush draw are about 48/52 to that hand range on the turn. There's 500 in the middle and he's pushing with another 720 or so, giving you 1.66:1. That's an easy call given those premises.

scdavis0
11-30-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Your your made two pair and flush draw are about 48/52 to that hand range on the turn. There's 500 in the middle and he's pushing with another 720 or so, giving you 1.66:1. That's an easy call given those premises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for doing actual analysis