PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Wireless connection on laptop

Davey
11-29-2005, 07:21 PM
I dont know too much about computers so this post may be lacking a lot of information needed. Sorry about that but any help is appreciated.

I have 2 desktop computers and a laptop. The desktop computers Internet connection is working fine. But the laptop just can't recognize the router. It is a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router. I'm also using RoadRunner.

Whenever a problem similar to this would happen, all of the computers would lose connection. RoadRunner support just said to unplug the box and the router. That worked fine. But with it only being the laptop this time I dont know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if you need to know anything else about the computer or whatever I will be happy to provide that. You may need to dumb it down when asking for info, or just tell me where to go to get any numbers. Thanks again.

Percula
11-29-2005, 08:21 PM
First they to do is reboot everything...

Assuming you already did that...

1) Make sure you are getting connected wirelessly to the linksys.

2) Make sure if you are connected that you are pulling an IP address (from command prompt issue ipconfig /all and you should see a IP something like 192.168.x.x)

3) If you are connected and getting a IP address see if you can ping 4.2.2.2, if it times out then something is blocking the traffic.

Chances are pretty good you will find the problem in #1 or #2.

11-29-2005, 08:33 PM
I have a linksys router also and I called them when it wouldn't work. Go to linksys.com and there is program you need to download. Somewhere on linksys.com they have a program that will do it automatically. All I had to do was connect my laptop directly (with an ethernet cord) to the router and run that program. Then after that it was smooth sailing when I went wireless.