PDA

View Full Version : Mini Madden Marathon (MMM)

Evan
11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
JBB is coming over tonight and we're going to play Madden '06 on PS2.

I've played I think 8 games (about half vs. computer and half vs. my roommate). I'm 3-1 vs. the computer (on whatever the default setting is) and 1-3 vs. my roommate, so I'm not that good.

JBB hasn't played Madden in "a while" and has never palyed the 2006 version which has a new system for passing that makes it a little tougher.

What do you think is an appropriate betting line for the game based on this info? JBB suggested he should be a 10.5 point dog. I'm still undecided.

Please establish a betting line for us. Also, we'd like other people to bet each other on our games because it will be funny.

IndieMatty
11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Obviously we need to know what teams, and if there is booze involved.

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 06:57 PM
i think you suck for playing on ps2 and not xb360!

scott8
11-29-2005, 06:58 PM
A lot should depend on your method for picking teams as there is a huge advantage to getting a top team.

Also the passing cones make the game insanely more difficult for the newb.

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 06:59 PM
roonitown,

the best method for picking teams imo is having one person pick both teams and the other pick which of the two they want.

best wishes,
nl

11-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I think you suck for endorsing EA's completely scaredy-cat move of buying up the NFL rights, solely because their product was outdated and crappy, with bad programming practices, and sega's game blew the pants off of madden.

However, I would have to know the teams picked before I could figure this out.

btw, the new passing system, I think, doesnt make things much harder unless your opponent is a madden beast, or he chooses the ravens, with their amazing d.

B Dids
11-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Just turn off the new passing system, it's retarded, as human beings don't have three hands. Also, the game thinks Vick is horrible, don't use him.

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 07:01 PM
evanator,

id like to bet one drink on JBB payable in vegas at your bday party. if i dont win that will suck cuz im not old enough to buy drinks. so i guess its a win-win situation for me.

regards,
nl

offTopic
11-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Evan,

I make you the favorite, but just by a nose.

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 07:02 PM
behemoth2006,

get a shorter name or i am never quick replying to you again. i have no idea what you are talking about, but i do know that madden pwns.

best wishes,
nls

scott8
11-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Soiler,

I disagree, b/c your method takes out the gamble.

I suggest each person pushes R2 (or whatever button scrolls through the teams randomly) 3 times having their choice of one of the 3 teams.

This allows one team to get completely screwed which is always good times.

-Rooni

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 07:05 PM
rooni,

if you are gonna go the random route. i suggest only 2 tries. and if you opt to use your second try, you are not allowed to go back and use your first team. talk about gamble!

regards,
soiler

scott8
11-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Soiler,

Fantastic adaption on the idea!

Peace,

Rooninator

11-29-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
behemoth2006,

get a shorter name or i am never quick replying to you again. i have no idea what you are talking about, but i do know that madden pwns.

best wishes,
nls

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cool, just call me eric, or behemoth, or big dude.. whatever.

The story goes like this... for two years in a row, nfl2k franchise's games sold at 20 dollars a pop.. and they were better. More balanced, more fun, the works (and Im a converted madden freak, so Im not just bs'ing). For years the madden guys had just updated the roster, without adding anything new. Then when nfl2k started making noise, they included the playmaker thing, but 2k still cut into their profits.

So last year, they signed a deal with the nfl stating that they were the only company that could make an nfl game. As a programmer, I see this as pussying out of a challenge.

Its like if I challenged rustedcorpse to a dave's insanity sauce drink-off, but instead, he just made a deal with Dave's that stated he was the only one who could drink.

Yeah, its like that, except without burning poop.

Anyways, its all good, Im just a game programmer who hated this move.

So are yall going for random or have you decided on teams?

SomethingClever
11-29-2005, 07:12 PM
I lost a bet to pizownored over thanksgiving... the terms were ridiculous though.

I gave him 42 points and he could choose the teams. I pretty much had to go to these extreme lengths to get him to play because I always wipe the floor with him.

He made me play with an NFL Europe team while he took the 1988 49ers.

He ended up beating me outright. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 07:13 PM
eric,

"
So last year, they signed a deal with the nfl stating that they were the only company that could make an nfl game."

i was not aware of that. that is pretty ridiculous. oh well.

regards,
nl

IndieMatty
11-29-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
behemoth2006,

best wishes,
nls

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cool, just call me eric, or behemoth, or big dude.. whatever.

The story goes like this... for two years in a row, nfl2k franchise's games sold at 20 dollars a pop.. and they were better. More balanced, more fun, the works (and Im a converted madden freak, so Im not just bs'ing). For years the madden guys had just updated the roster, without adding anything new. Then when nfl2k started making noise, they included the playmaker thing, but 2k still cut into their profits.

So last year, they signed a deal with the nfl stating that they were the only company that could make an nfl game. As a programmer, I see this as pussying out of a challenge.

Its like if I challenged rustedcorpse to a dave's insanity sauce drink-off, but instead, he just made a deal with Dave's that stated he was the only one who could drink.

Yeah, its like that, except without burning poop.

Anyways, its all good, Im just a game programmer who hated this move.

So are yall going for random or have you decided on teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent played video games since college, am I wrong to say that Gameday was better (like the game you described) than Madden? I always enjoyed it much more.

11-29-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I lost a bet to pizownored over thanksgiving... the terms were ridiculous though.

I gave him 42 points and he could choose the teams. I pretty much had to go to these extreme lengths to get him to play because I always wipe the floor with him.

He made me play with an NFL Europe team while he took the 1988 49ers.

He ended up beating me outright. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty much the only way I'll play with any of my friends, as I stopped playing alot of sports games once I started programming... weird.

NFL europe? that isnt even a team.

brettbrettr
11-29-2005, 07:17 PM
How is it that no one has made a "mini" Evan joke yet?

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 07:17 PM
sc,

pizd clearly violated the rules by making you use one of those n00b teams. you desereve your money back.

best wishes
soilertown

B Dids
11-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Soiler and Eric,

To be more clear, basically the NFLPA sign and exclusive agreement with EA. So 2K6 won't have real NFL players. But something akin to our favorite "R. Player" from Live96. It's [censored].

Peacers,

Dids

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 07:30 PM
dids,

i just realized what peacers meant. not sure how it took me this long. i guess im drunker than i thought (it is 3:30 already afterall).

i love you,
nl

Evan
11-29-2005, 07:30 PM
JBB wants some specifics:

Comparable teams
4 minute quarters
QB Vision turned off (for the time being)

GIVE US A BETTING LINE!

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
evanator,

i already offered my wager. i dont care about settings or teams. why the hell arent you responding to my IMs.

i want to make love to you like a schoolboy,
soiler

kenberman
11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
if JBB used to be good at previous versions of Madden on Xbox, I think HE should be the favorite. the new one isn't that different, and if he can get back on the bike quickly, he should be able to beat somebody that has never been very good.

if he was never very good, then yeah, you're a small favorite, b/c getting used to the buttong/gameplay can take a few games.

I would wager on games won, not point spreads.

SomethingClever
11-29-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was like the Amsterdam Admirals or something. They really, really sucked and couldn't defend Rice for crap.

SomethingClever
11-29-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sc,

pizd clearly violated the rules by making you use one of those n00b teams. you desereve your money back.

best wishes
soilertown

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I told him he could pick *any* team he wanted, and frankly, I thought I could still beat him badly with even the worst team.

Next time I will pick my own team and just give him the 45 points or so.

David04
11-29-2005, 07:58 PM
ESPN NFL 2K5 was far better than Madden 2005, and is better than Madden 2006. I'm still playing ESPN 2K5...I think I've paid about 20 cents an hour for it(kind of pathetic, how much I have played this game)

11-29-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was like the Amsterdam Admirals or something. They really, really sucked and couldn't defend Rice for crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I meant sarcastically that it wasnt a team... they just happen to be the polar opposites of the all-madden team.

good god, 45 points... thats extreme pwnage.

Evan
11-29-2005, 08:06 PM
JBB here:

I'm the Vikings, Evan is the Colts. I'm up 7-0 at the half. Good defensive game so far. Culpepper is 5/10 135 with a TD and 2 INTs. One INT was at his goal line and was [censored]. Wiggins has been quite the stud with 57 yards receiving. Play of the game was my fake punt that converted on my own 45. Game has been skewing in favor of passing, but it feels like many of our posessions occur with less than 2 minutes left in the half. (In reality probably like half of them have). Evan has had no big plays but sustained a couple decent length drives. I on the other hand usually quickly strike, such as when I go tthe ball and it took one 57 yard pass to marcus robinson for the game's only score.

B Dids
11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN NFL 2K5 was far better than Madden 2005, and is better than Madden 2006. I'm still playing ESPN 2K5...I think I've paid about 20 cents an hour for it(kind of pathetic, how much I have played this game)

[/ QUOTE ]

2K5 had some bugs I couldn't get behind.

When you draft a new team, your #1 pick is always the punt returned from the team (if the computer is playing). Having Orlando Pace and Peyton Manning running back punts is silly. In general a lot of the logic on re-drafted teams was trash.

The audio commentary is horrible. I know it sucks on a lot of games, but I can listen to NCAA2005 and it never bugs me, 25K's is just lousy, and the triggers for what they say when makes no sense.

For some reason- these two basic things just made me stop playing the game.

11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Quick, get him some asterisks!!!!

that'll pwn him far more than a game of madden.

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 08:09 PM
w00000t i knew betting on you was the play. evanator is gonna owe me a drink@!

David04
11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I've never experienced the first bug, but it sounds pretty stupid.

The commentary sucks, and can often be a few plays behind.

The injury report(the commentator's version, not the
"official" reports always piss me off also. Dude gets injured, I hear he has an ankle injury and his return is "probable". Then I look at the real injury report, and see his ankle is broken and he's out for 10 weeks.

Evan
11-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Good game. Evan used Stokley and Harrisson well. I incorporated more successful rushing in the second half. I also returned Peyton's only pick for a TD in Q3.

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 08:32 PM
evan owes me a drink! now im coming to vegas for his bday for sure. w000t!

TheMetetron
11-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Solier,

Isn't that his 17th birthday coming up?

I'm pretty sure he still can't buy a drink.

SomethingClever
11-29-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good god, 45 points... thats extreme pwnage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean... he certainly didn't beat me by 45 points. I was up for most of the first half by 1 or 2 TDs.

Then in the 2nd half, Rice and Taylor were unstoppable. He beat me by about two touchdowns when I started going for it on every 4th down and kicking onsides kicks.

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 08:40 PM
meteoron,

no, despite not being able to ride the roller coasters at six flags, evan will be turning 21 in april.

most homoesxual wishes,
drunken soiler

KDawgCometh
11-29-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JBB wants some specifics:

Comparable teams
4 minute quarters
QB Vision turned off (for the time being)

GIVE US A BETTING LINE!

[/ QUOTE ]

since you have some playing experience, I'd have you at a 5.5 pt fav over JBB

bugstud
11-29-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
meteoron,

no, despite not being able to ride the roller coasters at six flags, evan will be turning 21 in april.

most homoesxual wishes,
drunken soiler

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this trend.

SCfuji
11-29-2005, 08:50 PM
just fyi the preset slider settings blow.

PITTM
11-29-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
meteoron,

most homoesxual wishes,
drunken soiler

[/ QUOTE ]

this post made me actually sit here and wonder if evan is in fact tall enough to get on rollercoasters.

rj

Evan
11-29-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just fyi the preset slider settings blow.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't even know what this means.

p.s. I lost 3 times. Third game was pretty close when I was the Eagles and he was the Falcons.

11-29-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good game. Evan used Stokley and Harrisson well. I incorporated more successful rushing in the second half. I also returned Peyton's only pick for a TD in Q3.

[/ QUOTE ]

JBB: stop being too lazy to login.

MarkL444
12-04-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
roonitown,

the best method for picking teams imo is having one person pick both teams and the other pick which of the two they want.

best wishes,
nl

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. both do random teams until the overall is within 5 pts.

12-04-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you suck for playing on ps2 and not xb360!

[/ QUOTE ]

Also you should just turn off the QB vision

Jack of Arcades
12-04-2005, 02:01 AM
[censored], qb vision rules.

12-04-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored], qb vision rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but to level the competition.