PDA

View Full Version : north to alaska

05-11-2002, 10:10 PM
the last few weeks i have been working on a new(old) truck and camper. i replaced the power steering pump, put new shocks and brakes on it, new plugs, a battery isolator, and a second battery, well you get the idea. then on my camper i put a canoe rack and redid the water and propane system.

so soon im off to alaska for a trip. will do some fishing and be a tourist. 2500 miles each way, and then lots of driving from there. my direction will be up thru banff and to jasper on the icefield hiway. then to prince george and on up the cassiar hiway to watson lake then on the alcan to alaska. hope to see mcarty, valdez, seward, homer, seldovia, seldotna, kenai, anchorage, denali talkeetna, fairbanks. then home for a rest.

while im gone you are all on your own but i hope to get to find a few stops with the net.

05-11-2002, 11:32 PM
Have fun Ray. Catch some fish and watch out for the monster mosquitoes and the swams of bugs. Pack some netting.

Best of luck - enjoy the pitch dark skies (and the northern lights).

-Zeno

05-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy. Don't feed the bears. :-)

05-12-2002, 12:11 AM
If you decide to stop in Vancouver on the way back, give me a shout, maybe you want to play at the famous HI game that Skp et al post about, or have lunch at a great restaurant to be named later.

dsteele@yahoo.com

Dd.

05-12-2002, 12:15 AM
What should I avoid?

Have agood trip. Are you going to use the 7 piece?

I have friends in Cordova, I hope to get up there soon myself to visit and fish myself.

05-12-2002, 01:01 AM
7 piece rod works good but not great. ill stick with my sage except for packing and flying then the 7 piece is good.

eating in glacier area.

knead reat. in kalispell for lunch a 9

whitefish lots of great rest. tupelos, dos amigos

west glacier only go to the rest just inside the park turnoff. good food.

east glacier serranos mexican, or highland for breakfast

st. mary only go to the park cafe, its great.

many glacier, nothing good go back to park cafe.

05-12-2002, 01:08 AM
When I was a kid, my parents had a large collection of 8-tracks. I thought all the music they listened to was total garbage- except for Johnny Horton. Even as a 6-7 year old kid, I loved his songs. I can't explain why. Maybe it was because all his songs tell a little story. Of course, North to Alaska was one of my favorites.

A few weeks ago, I was walking to the Mirage. While going past the Imperial Palace, they were playing a song on their sound system. It was Sink the Bismark by Horton. I stopped and listened to the song for probably the first time in twenty years.

05-12-2002, 04:46 AM
tight loops Ray. Travel safely.

05-12-2002, 08:13 AM
the state bird of alaska is the mosquito,,,gl

05-12-2002, 08:14 AM
how about battle of new orleans?? gl

05-12-2002, 04:58 PM