PDA

View Full Version : People Who You Will Tip For The Holidays

IndieMatty
11-29-2005, 04:27 PM
A discussional post, that will maybe enlighten some of the cheapskates on the board..

Me:

1. My drycleaners, based on previous posts, these guys rock and I love them with or without knowing their names. I plan on buying the men a good bottle of whiskey or scotch, and something girly for the ladies. Crabtree/Evelyn type stuff.

2. My maid service, they come once every two weeks and we are charged $92.33, I will give them $100.

2. The guys who make my breakfast every sunday, I don't even have to wait on the long ass line anymore. They know what I get and start making it when I walk in the door. Probably a box of cigars for the whole staff (5-10 awesome mexican guys) to share.

11-29-2005, 04:30 PM
They guy at Gamestop who got me 15 xbox 360s so that I could sell them on Ebay - making a quick $15k profit.

Shajen
11-29-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't have "the usual" places I go to, so I won't be tipping anyone that I normally wouldn't.

Different world outside of NYC, broham.

chisness
11-29-2005, 04:32 PM
by 15k profit do you mean 7k profit?

mslif
11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
I will bake a french apple pie for the owner of my favorite Vietnamese restaurant. They always remember my name and know what I want. He has requested this pie before so I will bake one for Christmas.

My maintenance guy, he is awesome. Thanks to him, I never have to worry about fixing anything at my place and is always there within the hour. I will probably give him a nice tip or a gift card to home depot.

Smackdab
11-29-2005, 04:43 PM
1. Hairstylist - I normally tip her for every visit anyway. An additional $50 for the holidays. I'm getting older and the hair on my ears grows faster she always trims them and the eyebrows nicely for me.

2. Paper carrier - Never misses the box. If there is even a hint of moisture in the air it gets wrapped in plastic. Another $50 - Merry Christmas!

3. Drive up tellers at my main branch - At least twice weekly I come through with receipts for multiple accounts that eats up about 30 mins of their day. A nice 1 lb box of chocolates for all 5 there that wait on me.

BoogerFace
11-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Cleaning lady is a must. $100 sounds about right.

samjjones
11-29-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I will take my wife out to a nice dinner, because otherwise she will spend the money on stupid [censored] like yet another purse or something.

istewart
11-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Mailman.

Eurotrash
11-29-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I will take my wife out to a nice dinner, because otherwise she will spend the money on stupid [censored] like yet another purse or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice.

BoogerFace
11-29-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother with dinner? She's just gonna buy stupid [censored] crap with your money anyway.

Homer
11-29-2005, 05:26 PM
The lunch ladies at school. That's about it.

samjjones
11-29-2005, 05:27 PM
At least I get a dinner (which I don't have to cook for once) out of the deal...

BottlesOf
11-29-2005, 05:35 PM
I personally won't be tipping anyone for the holidays, apart from my usual tipping.

Is this way off? I know my parents tip all the people in the building, but there aren't people in my building other than the tennants.

The only one that seems to apply would be the dry cleaner/laundry lady. But I've only been going since Spetember, I'm not sure if it's appropriate/necessary, and I don't want to just leave a smaller tip as that would appear cheap.

IndieMatty
11-29-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally won't be tipping anyone for the holidays, apart from my usual tipping.

Is this way off? I know my parents tip all the people in the building, but there aren't people in my building other than the tennants.

The only one that seems to apply would be the dry cleaner/laundry lady. But I've only been going since Spetember, I'm not sure if it's appropriate/necessary, and I don't want to just leave a smaller tip as that would appear cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

No your good it seems.

Cheap [censored].

BottlesOf
11-29-2005, 05:36 PM
How did you pull this off without tipping him already?

M2d
11-29-2005, 05:44 PM
my housecleaners and gardener will get something extra in their next payment envelope. the garbage men at my parents' house will get a case of beer with pickup just before xmas

11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did you pull this off without tipping him already?

[/ QUOTE ]

I SIIHP

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They guy at Gamestop who got me 15 xbox 360s so that I could sell them on Ebay - making a quick $15k profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. why didnt i do that?

dblgutshot
11-29-2005, 05:48 PM
This thread makes me sad that I have nobody to tip for anything.

Los Feliz Slim
11-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Housekeepers $300
Landscaper $100
Mail carrier $20
Water delivery $10
Hair Stylist $100
NYT delivery $10
Parking guy at the office will get re-gifted something

I like my dry cleaners but have never tipped them, thinking about it now.

Aces McGee
11-29-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I plan on buying the men a good bottle of whiskey or scotch

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if they drink?

My friend's father is a mailman, and he has a very impressive array of Scotch that he hasn't touched because he doesn't drink it.

-McGee

Ulysses
11-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Matt: Do you tip your maids on their regular visits?

deros: Whoa. How did you swing that?

Sha: Nice use of broham.

mslif: Welcome back. I love Vietnamese food. Especially Vietnamese sandwiches for lunch.

Smackdab: You still get a paper delivered? Wow.

All: I am surprised at how many of you have a relationship with your dry cleaners. I am not really a fan of dry cleaners and think they are way too expensive anyway.

All: In situations where you are giving someone like $100, I think it sometimes makes it a little more personal to give that in an envelope attached to a $10 box of chocolates or cookies or something.

IndieMatty
11-29-2005, 06:49 PM
El-D: No we have never tipped them. It's a franchise business, so I assume the maids are paid accordingly.

imported_anacardo
11-29-2005, 06:59 PM
I live in Bumfuck, Texas and it is a very strange time in my life, with practically no semi-professional relationships of this kind whatsoever. Therefore, nobody gets jack.