PDA

View Full Version : Roy Cooke hand from Bellagio 30-60

Dynasty
07-06-2003, 05:47 AM
Here's a Bellagio 30-60 hand I observed while waiting to get into a game. I know nothing substanial about the players in the game.

The first two players folded and UTG3 open-raised. It was folded to Roy Cooke in MP who called. Everybody else folded to the Big Blind who called. 3 players saw the flop for 2 bets each.

The flop is: K/forums/images/icons/club.gifQ/forums/images/icons/heart.gifJ/forums/images/icons/club.gif

Big Blind bet out. UTG3 (pre-flop raiser) raised. Roy Cooke called. Big Blind called.

The turn is: K/forums/images/icons/club.gifQ/forums/images/icons/heart.gifJ/forums/images/icons/club.gif8/forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Big Blind bet. UTG3 bet. Roy Cooke raised. Big Blind said "I guess my King is no good" and flashed the K/forums/images/icons/spade.gif when he mucked. UTG3 called.

The rive is: K/forums/images/icons/club.gifQ/forums/images/icons/heart.gifJ/forums/images/icons/club.gif8/forums/images/icons/spade.gif8/forums/images/icons/heart.gif

UTG3 check and Roy Cooke checked.

A9suited
07-06-2003, 08:29 AM
RC likely wouldnt call 2 cold w ATS, but might with KQs, on the turn a blank comes so a singleton club cannot 'accidently' win the showdown, the pair of eights counterfeits against AA so he checks it down. But RC does seem more aggressive than this in his columns so I may be waaaaay off here...

A9s

Ikke
07-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Lemme guess....QJs?

skp
07-06-2003, 01:36 PM
RC had KQs (or less likely QJs). He checks KQs at the end because he has seen that UTG3 called his turn raise *after* the bb flashed a kIng and folded. Thus, the chances of UTG3 having AA are now greater i.e. 6 ways to have AA and only 4 ways to have AK.

Rick Nebiolo
07-06-2003, 02:53 PM
Dynasty,

If UTG3 means UTG plus three seats and Roy is acting a seat or two after this guy it wouldn't be mid position where I play. Eight handed is the norm given the smoke and pee breaks so this sequence would put Roy on the button ;-).

Until the river I thought Roy may have a set of jacks but with a river check my guess is something like KQs. BTW, people keep telling me Roy plays a lot differently then he writes. I hope he dresses differently than what we see in the pictures. I don't need flashbacks to 1979.

~ Rick

Lee Jones
07-07-2003, 01:51 AM
I'm gonna guess Roy had A/forums/images/icons/club.gif-Q/forums/images/icons/club.gif or QJ-sooted and got counterfeited on the end.

Regards, Lee

mike l.
07-07-2003, 02:11 AM
"I'm gonna guess Roy had A-Q or QJ-sooted and got counterfeited on the end."

im guessing he had something a lot less reasonable and that's why dynasty posted this and that's why we'll probably find out what both players had because as unreasonable as whatever roy called with it took down the pot.

the one time i played with roy there in january he seemed to play pretty close to his articles. tight and usually straightforward. the games that weekend were extremely good though so maybe he gets tricky and weird when it's tighter or tougher or something, who knows? good player, seemed like a friendly enough guy.

John Ho
07-07-2003, 06:48 AM
K-10
UTG-3 was probably a loose raiser.

Dynasty
07-07-2003, 12:57 PM
UT3 showed A/forums/images/icons/club.gifQ/forums/images/icons/club.gif for middle pair and a royal flush draw on the flop.

Roy showed Q/forums/images/icons/spade.gifJ/forums/images/icons/spade.gif and dragged the pot.

Georgia Peach
07-07-2003, 01:19 PM
RC had 9Ts and RC placed opponent on KK or QQ and worried about 8 on river making a FH thus the ck.

rtrombone
07-07-2003, 02:57 PM
This strikes me as a very bad cold call against a good player with high raising standards. What do you think he has? AQ or better? How can it be correct to cold call with a hand that's likely dominated? You have position, but position isn't as valuable when you're dominated and your opponent is about as good as you.

I will muck KQs if the raise comes from a tight player. QJs, every time. If Roy knew his opponent had AQs, he would have definitely mucked, right?

player1
07-08-2003, 12:25 AM
i didn't see what happened preflop but he may have called the raise because the raiser was very loose. also, if it makes any difference, on the turn the blind check and the preflop raiser(?) bet and roy raised, knocking out the blind as he mucked Kx.

Lee Jones
07-08-2003, 01:50 AM
[Lee had said]

"I'm gonna guess Roy had A/forums/images/icons/club.gif-Q/forums/images/icons/club.gif or QJ-sooted and got counterfeited on the end."

Yow. I only make a read this good about once per "unique last name winning an American presidential election", so I had to gloat here. Not only did I call Roy's hand correctly, I inadvertently called his opponent's hand correctly. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Regards, Lee

PokerPrince
07-08-2003, 04:14 AM

Robk
07-08-2003, 12:18 PM