PDA

View Full Version : badly played or just bad beat?

hjelmquist
07-06-2003, 04:27 AM
I played a hand at partypoker pot limit (SB $0.1, BB $0.25) the other day that cost me $20:

I was in the BB and was dealt 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . The pot wasn't raised so I saw the flop for free. Four other players saw the flop which was:

A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

giving me a straight. The two players in last positions call me. The turn comes:

A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I bet $4. The next player calls, last position raises me $4. I call, the next player calls. The river comes:

6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I check, the next player checks, last position bets $10. I call, the third player folds. Last position is holding A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , giving him a full house.

From his raise on the turn I assumed he had made a set of aces. Was this too optimistic? Should I have played this hand differently, considering the risk of running into a flush or a house?

Louie Landale
07-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Hard to say at big bet poker, but I will say this: If you bet the flop and then bet the turn into that dangerous board, surely you have at least 3 aces yourself. His raise suggests not that he HAS 3 aces, but that he can BEAT 3 aces.

Looks to me that you need to start considering what the opponent thinks you have. Rephrased: when you check/bet/call, what are you representing?

- Louie

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-07-2003, 11:27 AM
The raise and overcall on the turn with this board should be enough to convince you that your str8 is no good. Maybe you're ahead of one of them, but not both of them.

lmcclean
07-07-2003, 08:29 PM
badly played plain and simple. You were probalby dead on the flop, even though you hit the nut strait their was a flush on board. At that point I would have checked to see who bet, if u had any bets to you their you were probably out. if you were bet you could make the safe play and fold or try ot put in a check raise to buy the pot flat out, if however your origal better called you, you have to flod the turn. Assuming noone had the flush as soon as the board paired you have to afraid of a full house, not the trips. This is esspecialy evedent as you were raised on the turn, that was definatly a player playing full house. Your play is definatly a sighn of inexperiance and over-estimating your hand strength. all of this ignoring oyur strait was dead on the river if someon was plaining 7,8. With time, experince and learing from this hand you'll be able to make mone of someon doeing the exact same thing in the future.

HUSKER'66
07-11-2003, 06:06 PM
hjelmquist, You didn't play the hand to an optimum conclusion, but your literary prose and grammer skills put some of your critics to shame. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I'll let those of whom I jest remain nameless, but I leave them with this tip:Before you start to throw rocks at other peoples houses, learn to[b] spell, punctuate, and form a concise thought on paper![b] /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

SirFoldsAlot
07-17-2003, 10:56 AM
I would have dumped that hand if there was any real action on the flop. Any 2 hearts beats you.