PDA

View Full Version : 99.8% to win on the flop

fire_fly
11-29-2005, 01:07 PM
i know this is dumb, but hey, they made a forum for it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

me 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

villain j /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Flop 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet (my table image is that i'm a moron at this point, one i like to have when i make a hand) I've been running over this guy for a while and he's been fighting back lately. Let'em fight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

villain calls

turn 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I bet, he raises, i cream myself and 3bet, he calls.

river Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif I am so happy at flopping quads it never even crosses my mind that they might lose, i'm not even looking at the board.

It's capped, i lose. I was honestly just so amazed i didn't tilt one little bit. I actually think it's kinda cool for some reason. Oh well, he took a 107 dollar pot from me, good times.

Oh yeah, so I plugged it into a hold'em calculator, and he wins this hand 1 out of every 500 times.

captZEEbo1
11-29-2005, 03:00 PM
limit bad beats are so stupid, although this one is moderately funny

rwanger
11-29-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, so I plugged it into a hold'em calculator, and he wins this hand 1 out of every 500 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised it's that high! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TheMainEvent
11-29-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
river Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's capped

[/ QUOTE ]

HEE-HAW

PoBoy321
11-29-2005, 03:42 PM
I really can't believe that you think that there could possibly be something wrong with capping the river.

peritonlogon
11-29-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really can't believe that you think that there could possibly be something wrong with capping the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't you see the SF possibilities? What else would be calling against quads but a SF draw? duuuuhhhh. Besides, who would ever cap without the nuts? You gotta be able to lay this hand down on the river if you ever want to be a good player.

TheMainEvent
11-29-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't you see the SF possibilities? What else would be calling against quads but a SF draw? duuuuhhhh. Besides, who would ever cap without the nuts? You gotta be able to lay this hand down on the river if you ever want to be a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he means is, there's nothing wrong with capping the river just like there's nothing wrong with flushing a handful of $20 bills down the toilet. It's your money.

11-29-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL.

Toro
11-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Why was the river capped? HU is usually unlimited raises. I call BS on this story.

TheMainEvent
11-29-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why was the river capped? HU is usually unlimited raises. I call BS on this story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this is online/not crypto

peritonlogon
11-29-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he means is, there's nothing wrong with capping the river just like there's nothing wrong with flushing a handful of $20 bills down the toilet. It's your money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, quads are really just barely worth a crying call once three cards to an SF come. My quads always get cracked too, especially bottom quads. For a while I would just fold them because someone always rivers the SF.

Toro
11-29-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this is online/not crypto

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. This type of beat could only happen on-line! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheMainEvent
11-29-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, quads are really just barely worth a crying call once three cards to an SF come. My quads always get cracked too, especially bottom quads. For a while I would just fold them because someone always rivers the SF.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who haven't read Theory of Poker usually don't know how to play quads against a possible straight flush. Sklansky advises that a stud player with (T9)JJJJ(5) should just check and call on the river against a player with 2 straight flush cards showing, since he can only beat a bluff. The OP really needs to learn the fundamentals.

gr8vertical
11-29-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke right.... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Toro
11-29-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who haven't read Theory of Poker usually don't know how to play quads against a possible straight flush. Sklansky advises that a stud player with (T9)JJJJ(5) should just check and call on the river against a player with 2 straight flush cards showing, since he can only beat a bluff. The OP really needs to learn the fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious, are you? Big difference between a quad hand in stud where the quads are all up cards and a holdem quad hand with 2 in the pocket which is well disguised.

peritonlogon
11-29-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who ever jokes about poker, this is no laughing matter

Big_Jim
11-29-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke, right?

jman220
11-29-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i know this is dumb, but hey, they made a forum for it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

me 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

villain j /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Flop 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet (my table image is that i'm a moron at this point, one i like to have when i make a hand) I've been running over this guy for a while and he's been fighting back lately. Let'em fight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

villain calls

turn 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I bet, he raises, i cream myself and 3bet, he calls.

river Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif I am so happy at flopping quads it never even crosses my mind that they might lose, i'm not even looking at the board.

It's capped, i lose. I was honestly just so amazed i didn't tilt one little bit. I actually think it's kinda cool for some reason. Oh well, he took a 107 dollar pot from me, good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a bad beat. See my post HERE (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4056987&an=0&page=0#Post 4056987) explaining why.

TheMainEvent
11-29-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious, are you? Big difference between a quad hand in stud where the quads are all up cards and a holdem quad hand with 2 in the pocket which is well disguised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point about the stud hand being poorly disguised, but in the HE hand Hero has much lower quads (9 ranks!) than in the stud hand, so in that way I think the strength of the two hands even out.

Toro
11-29-2005, 07:44 PM
In the stud hand, you're opponent is 100% sure you have quads so you have 0% chance of getting paid off by a bet. Not so in the HE hand.

jman220
11-29-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the stud hand, you're opponent is 100% sure you have quads so you have 0% chance of getting paid off by a bet. Not so in the HE hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quads are really just two pair of the same rank.

TheMainEvent
11-29-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're a good guy so I'll give up here and admit that I'm just messing with you

ghostface
11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
river Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's capped

[/ QUOTE ]

HEE-HAW

[/ QUOTE ]

Just call the raise.

This is probly the worst forum ever to add to 2p2.

Mason Hellmuth
11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just call the raise.

This is probly the worst advice ever to add to 2p2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate to do this, but I suspect that you're actually serious.

Tilt
11-29-2005, 11:04 PM
I think we should rename this the sarcasm forum

TheWorstPlayer
11-29-2005, 11:44 PM
yeah man. good idea.

DRD66
11-30-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
limit bad beats are so stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen this comment in several threads, and it totally pisses me off. It's the beat, not the bucks. When you're playing perfect at .1/.25 LHE and some uberfish with a horseshoe jammed up his ass sucks out on you repeatedly it hurts just as bad as at $50K NL and should be posted.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter 'cause I'm a lame-o limit player. Oh, how I long for the day when I can join studs like you in that nirvana that is no-limit. We'll all sit around wearing sunglasses while playing online and practice shouting "Presto" and wondering what dipsh*t prop bet we can make like the big boys and hoping someone calls our double-secret-semi-bluff-table-image push so we can afford that cool jacket Vince VanPatten was wearing last week and then masturbate ourselves blind thinking about Ed Norton and Matt Damon and just celebrating how damn cool we all are.

I bet you were into line dancing when that was hot.

If you were even alive then.

fire_fly
11-30-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa, don't make me bust out a hh.

It was a pokerstars 3/6 6max game.

And i don't know where YOU play, but out of the 15 or so pokerrooms i've played, the only site I can name off the top o' my head that is no cap hu is the cryptos.

TheWorstPlayer
11-30-2005, 01:36 AM
I made this comment in another thread. If you played NL, you would know what we mean. In NL, bad beats are like "I played for ten hours and built my stack up from 50bb to 500bb. Then I get all in with AA for 500bb pf and the other deep stack beats me with 67o." That is real pain. Or the first live NL hand I played where I got check/raised all in by QdQx on Ad8d3x board when I had AA and he hit running diamonds. That is real pain. When it's like "He hit runner runner quads to beat my quads!!!! I lost 10bb on the hand!!!" it's just kind of a let down. Yeah, the beats are just as big, but the effect is so small. Blah.

DRD66
11-30-2005, 02:18 AM
Here's the thing: I completely understand what you're saying, but still don't agree and here's why. NL variance and standard deviation is HUGE BOTH WAYS. Read it again. Yea, 500bb is more than 10bb (and actually, the hand you describe would be more like 25bb), but the effect is about the same. You ever try to win back 25bb at a limit table? Ain't easy. At 2.5bb/100 (a very respectable win rate), I'm playing another 1000 hands to make that back. Or, like you, praying for an idiot to sit down at my table to donate it. I'm sure you've won a few 500bb hands - it all evens out no matter what game you play.

And, truth be told, I do play NL. My online limit play bankrolls some live NL games around town where play is unbelievably soft if you can take the swings. First time I sat at one of these (in a smoky union hall with a bunch of iron workers), I made an atrocious pf call of a 10xbb raise with QTo. Flop came QQT, raiser pushed with pocket ten's and I took his stack. Lost most of it to an even dumber call 3 hours later, and it hurt so bad my hands were shaking. But I still play there, 'cause long run I'm winning.

Play whatever you want to play, but respect all the games and all the serious players.

Shuffle up and deal. [/soap box]

lotus776
11-30-2005, 04:09 AM
agreed

lotus776
11-30-2005, 04:16 AM
why are you so angry? you're right...and you're still mad.
who cares if they're all incorrect...you're profitting right? It's gonna be a-okay buddy, let it go.

lotus776
11-30-2005, 04:18 AM
yeah, fold those quads...they're just two pair.
Oh yeah, that's right...quads are a good hand

lotus776
11-30-2005, 04:24 AM
JMAN220: "quads are just two pair of the same rank"

yup...what does that have to do with anything?