PDA

View Full Version : All-In with Quads

Augie
07-06-2003, 03:53 AM
$11, 1 table sitngo at Stars -

It's heads up with blinds of 50 and 100. I have 6155T and my opponent has 7345T.

I get dealt Ad5c in the BB, my opponent calls the extra 50 and I raise another 200, he calls. The flop is AsAh8c.

I bet 500 into a 600 pot and get raised another 1500. I think for a bit and call. At this point I put my opponent on an A, an 8, or a pocket pair higher than the 8.

The turn brings the Qs. I make a minibet of 400 and get called. Now I'm thinking he has a pocket pair. Many opponents would just call with an A, but this guy doesn't seem to slowplay.

River, Ah. Based on my reads, or your own, how much do you bet?

Comments on all streets welcome. My river action to follow.

Augie
07-06-2003, 03:59 AM
I guess the title gives it away. I moved allin with 3455 and he called with K8.

Apparently my read was a bit off. I wouldn't have moved allin if I thought he had the 8. I really expected a call from something like pocket tens.

Obviously I was going to win some chips here, but I suspect an allin move in this situation isn't the usual way to go. Bet around 1000? More? Less?

bigfishead
07-06-2003, 06:44 AM
probably zero. From what you describe he sounds like he'll go all-in to a check.

BTW I dont play stars but a single table with 13500 chips in play? Thats what your numbers add up too. very odd.

Augie
07-06-2003, 11:09 AM
A single table tourney on Stars has 9 players, each starting with 1500 in chips.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-07-2003, 10:02 AM
He backed off and didn't raise your underbet on the turn. Why? Does he think you're trapping, or does he have KK or KQ and he's trapping you?

Your all-in is less than half what he has left (if my math is right). Go ahead and bet all-in. If you check, he might be happy to check behind with a K and he might be tempted to call you if you bet.

Jon Matthews
07-07-2003, 10:15 AM
easy all in

you can look like a steal here or representing 8 or Q and you will get called by an 8, a Q or any pp you mentioned

even a fold from him isn't too bad with that pot

Jon Matthews
07-07-2003, 10:23 AM
don't worry about your read being wrong here, this will help you get the read next time it happens - remember this is heads up, getting a pair is hard enough in this situation let alone a full house and there is no way you should fold one fearing the nuts as your opponent was thinking

now if it was a full table with a family pot wittled down to 2 players through all the betting rounds i would have checked the quads or bet small as K8 would have been much more likely to fold fearing the nuts and he would be right a lot of the time as well

fnurt
07-07-2003, 11:42 AM
He called my all-in bet and showed Ks Js Ts for a royal flush. I tried to call the floor to point out my opponent had 3 cards but the dealer pushed the pot to him before anything could be done! Now I'm wondering if I should have tried to get him out pre-flop to avoid the chance of something like this happening.

(Ok, this is obviously a fake results post, but it's just so shocking to see a post here where the author actually won the hand!)

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-07-2003, 12:52 PM
I thought they would both have quad aces, since the board contains 2 aces of hearts.

Ignatius
07-08-2003, 10:47 AM
I like the all-in move. It's not so much your read that matters but more which hand you represented. Your play has been consistent with a small pair or an eight, esp. your seemingly weak "stop bet" on turn. By moving in on the river, you give your opponent two ways to misread you: he can put you on a bluff hoping to get an 8 to fold. Or he can put you on an 8 which finally decided not be up against an ace or a queen after all.
> I suspect an all-in move in this situation isn't the usual way to go.
That's what makes moving in a very strong move in this situation. Many pls. are more afraid of an ace if you check or bet small here.