PDA

View Full Version : Maybe someone in OOT can help me.

Sightless
11-29-2005, 01:00 PM
So for the past couple of months I’ve started to receive magazines, such as Blender, ESPN magazine, something for middle-aged women and just today I got Popular Science magazine. The problem is I NEVER subscribed to them. I’m pretty broke right now and can’t afford to shell out money for magazines, I can’t find any info inside the magazines or anywhere on where to call them or what to do to make them stop sending them to me them and I do not want to pay money for them, any advice.

xadrez
11-29-2005, 01:03 PM
I could be way off here, but Id check your credit report, and make sure your identity hasnt been stolen.

You are entitled to 1 free report a year now do to some recent legislation.

Sightless
11-29-2005, 01:16 PM
thank you for advice, but why would someone who stole my identity, order magazines to my house?

And where one might check his credit report for free?

FouTight
11-29-2005, 01:17 PM
currently recieving sporting news (at 2 locations) as well as rolling stone, and FHM... don't know why. Friend of mine is getting SI.

Wish I could get ESPN or SI instead of stupid Sporting news.

LALDAAS
11-29-2005, 01:20 PM
sounds like someone hates you and is filling out those subscribtion cards. No payment required on some of them to subscribed

SCfuji
11-29-2005, 01:20 PM
try browsing the internet for the magazine's internet sites. maxim has maximonline, im sure other magazines have them.

Slow Play Ray
11-29-2005, 01:24 PM
i've been getting rolling stone for 2 years - i never ordered it, and i have never been billed.

Sightless
11-29-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've been getting rolling stone for 2 years - i never ordered it, and i have never been billed.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it arrives, does it have your name on it?

Slow Play Ray
11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When it arrives, does it have your name on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

BradleyT
11-29-2005, 01:58 PM
There should be a decipherable code on the mailing label that tells you the subscription expiration date. If it's only a few months it's probably just some free samples. If it's a year someone filled out a bunch of cards in your name.

xadrez
11-29-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And where one might check his credit report for free?

[/ QUOTE ]

LINK (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp)

xadrez
11-29-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thank you for advice, but why would someone who stole my identity, order magazines to my house?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure, I only said this cause an old roomate of mine started getting a magazine he didnt order, checked his credit and found some woman in Baltimore listed on his report. I know my sample size is small, but better safe than sorry.

astroglide
11-29-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been getting it for free for about 6 months

daryn
11-29-2005, 02:26 PM
i've been getting this hunting magazine for like 6 months now.

11-29-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a gift from me. I was mad you never said TY.

Sightless
11-29-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There should be a decipherable code on the mailing label that tells you the subscription expiration date.

[/ QUOTE ]

man its impossible to unscramble those codes and figure out which once stands for the date ):

Lottery Larry
11-29-2005, 03:18 PM
If you didn't order it, you don't have to pay for it

BradleyT
11-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Well the expiration date codes used to be blatantly obvious. Perhaps thats not the case anymore.

tonypaladino
11-29-2005, 03:22 PM
It won't be a problem. If they ever send you a bill, just toss it. They'll just stop sending you the mag after that.

Sightless
11-29-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It won't be a problem. If they ever send you a bill, just toss it. They'll just stop sending you the mag after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanx a lot

UncleSalty
11-29-2005, 11:17 PM
When I was in grade school there was a bully who picked on me in front of the whole school. To get even, (since I was weak and scrawny and a big nerd) I went to the library and took a subscription card out of every magazine. I subscribed them all to his address with the "bill me later" box checked.

Yes, I am still a nerd.

HopeydaFish
11-29-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was in grade school there was a bully who picked on me in front of the whole school. To get even, (since I was weak and scrawny and a big nerd) I went to the library and took a subscription card out of every magazine. I subscribed them all to his address with the "bill me later" box checked.

Yes, I am still a nerd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing to a guy on my street that I hated, except I did it with Jehovah Witnesses magazines. I signed his family up for multiple copies of "The WatchTower" and "The Plain Truth".

I expect that one day he'll show up at my home and tell my pregnant wife what I did.

UncleSalty
11-29-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I expect that one day he'll show up at my home and tell my pregnant wife what I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant, IMO.

webmonarch
11-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Well, since no one else has done so, let me offer a reason as to why: many times magazines simply want to increase their subscription base to impress advertisers, so if they know you are a certain demographic they are trying to reach, they will simply add you to the list. If you ever get billed, just write "cancel" on it, and send it back.

Magazines have too much other stuff to worry about than to track down those that don't pay. They'll just stop sending it.

Voltron87
11-30-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am still a nerd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing to a guy on my street that I hated, except I did it with Jehovah Witnesses magazines. I signed his family up for multiple copies of "The WatchTower" and "The Plain Truth".

[/ QUOTE ]

hopey, your stock has risen with me greatly in the last 2 months. for some reason before then I never really distinguished you from the rest of OOT but right now you are at the top of your game. nh.

kipin
11-30-2005, 01:57 AM
I am currently getting Maxim and Stuff magazine free of charge.

holla