PDA

View Full Version : 25/50NL Misery, Running Sooooooo Bad: Six Losers All In

PokerForMath
11-29-2005, 11:20 AM
First of all I don't believe in bad luck, but I do believe in running bad. I do believe the cards break even over the long haul, but I just wanted to know what you 2+2ers have experienced in terms of your worst runs in poker.

The other night I played a long session on UB's 25/50NL game. It was short handed and I was playing very aggressively. I got my money all in seven times. I was the aggressor six of the seven times and lost all of them, though was never a dog. The seventh time I made a bad call and sucked out on them. The rest of the night I was even to slightly down on overall play, but ended up stuck 10K. Here are the hands:

Hands I lost while all in

1. JJ loses all in to AT pre-flop (30%) [I was aggressor]
2. My QQ loses all in to AK pre-flop(47%) [I was aggressor]
3. I have JJ and move in on a JQA board and gets called by AQ and loses when river is Q (16%) [I was aggressor]
4. I get it all in with JJ vs 99 (pre-flop) and lose (19%) [I was aggressor]
5. I get it all in with 99 vs 8c4c (pre-flop) and lose (16%) [I was aggressor]
6. I move in with KdTd and 55 calls me (pre-flop) and lose (50%) [I was aggressor]

Probability of all these things happening .036% (1 in 2770)

Hands I won while all in

1. I get it all in with pre-flop 99 and beat KK (20%) [I called]

Probability 20%

I kept a running log of this b/c the day before I had lost 2x with KK versus AK pre-flop all in and I thought I better keep track so as to not fool myself. Now, note, these are not all bad beats (though some certainly are), but the point is only 1 in 7 hands broke my way. I had three hands where I was a monster favorite, lost both, and two hands where I was a coin flip and lost them both. Then, shockingly, when I was a big do, I won!

So, friends, what do you do when you run this bad? How do you handle it? Am I alone or have others out there gotten way stuck feeling they just had a string of bad luck.

TheWorstPlayer
11-29-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5. I get it all in with 99 vs 8c4c (pre-flop) and lose (16%) [I was aggressor]

[/ QUOTE ]
No one else has ever run bad, so I don't think we can help you with that part, but we definitely need some more details about this hand. Names, faces, etc.

Ulysses
11-29-2005, 01:06 PM
My worst session run was losing 7 all-ins in a row in that game where I was 65% or higher in each hand. holla

Edited to add: I just read your post again. Only 10K? Wow. That barely registers as a bad session in that game.

NLfool
11-29-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My worst session run was losing 7 all-ins in a row in that game where I was 65% or higher in each hand. holla

Edited to add: I just read your post again. Only 10K? Wow. That barely registers as a bad session in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

man I don't see how in the world you only lost 10k with all those beats. Unless someone was short buying and gambling it up which I like to do myself sometimes

PokerForMath
11-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Fair points: How did I only lose 10K? Well, as I think about it it was more like 13K because I had started after building up in the 5-10NL Short Handed Game.

So, my total loss for the night was 10K, but the loss at the 25/50 table was 13K. Also, I won hands too. What would happen would be I would build up and then get crushed. I started with 2500, built it up to 4500, got it all in with QQ vs AK pre flop and lose. Buy in for another 2500, build it up to 3500 or so and lose it all on another all in, etc.

A few were smaller pots (2 - 3K).

But, I am new to the 25/50 world, and determined to keep playing, so friends, what are reasonable swings to expect.

PokerForMath
11-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Very funny! I know I am not the only one ... but this is the section where you can whine about it, right?

TheWorstPlayer
11-29-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very funny! I know I am not the only one ... but this is the section where you can whine about it, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes! But you must provide details on people CALLING all in with trash!

flawless_victory
11-29-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
obviously this nit was buying in 4 the minimum.

captZEEbo1
11-29-2005, 02:59 PM
if you think that is so bad, you should really move down in stakes, I don't even blink if it's an allin preflop vs a shortstack...I don't think you can really count those

Chris Daddy Cool
11-29-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, I am new to the 25/50 world, and determined to keep playing, so friends, what are reasonable swings to expect.

[/ QUOTE ]

20-40k either way any given night sounds about right.