PDA

View Full Version : $55: To continuation bet or take free Turn card for flush draw?

AA suited
11-29-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm doing this off the top of my head.

blinds 50/100

sb= 1000
bb= 2500
utg= 3000
mp= 500
co= 2000 (HERO = J /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif)
button= 1000

Preflop:
Hero raises to 250, BB calls

Flop: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB checks, Hero ??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

no reads.

I normally would do a 1/2 pot continuation bet and represent an Ace. If he calls, i'll hope he checks the turn so I can check for a free river card. if he check raises on flop or bets out on turn, then i should fold (if i dont improve).

But Tigerite suggested that since there's an Ace on the board to check the flop and take a free turn card. Normally I like his suggestions, but this one I had some doubts.

What line would you take, and why?

And would it matter if the flop was A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif?

THX!

durron597
11-29-2005, 10:30 AM
I would bet here BECAUSE there's an ace on the board. You raised preflop. Then you bet an ace when the BB checks to you. What could he possibly put you on? Most people won't try to bluff a preflop raiser out of a board with one ace on it, without at least a draw, except you have two of the biggest spades.

If the flop was T8x w/two spades, I would take the free turn.

AA suited
11-29-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet here BECAUSE there's an ace on the board. You raised preflop. Then you bet an ace when the BB checks to you. What could he possibly put you on? Most people won't try to bluff a preflop raiser out of a board with one ace on it, without at least a draw, except you have two of the biggest spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

duron,

Why take the free turn card if the flop was T8x w/two spades? you have 15 outs and is correct to call even an all-in check/raise.

and what if the board is 2,4,9 with 2 spades? (And WHY that line?)

11-29-2005, 10:40 AM
In this spot I will bet the flop a very high percentage of the time meaning no matter what my cards or the flop I'm betting if checked to. Not 100% but lots. The ace on the flop if anything only adds fuel to my fire.

The downside of raising here is that you may get raised of a monster draw but I still like betting.

tigerite
11-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Cont bet is wrong here because you would hate a raise, this is obvious tournament stuff for me..

durron597
11-29-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cont bet is wrong here because you would hate a raise, this is obvious tournament stuff for me..

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hate taking a free card, having the turn blank and the BB lead into me more than I would hate getting checkraised, when I take the pot down a huge % of the time since I am the preflop raiser with an ace on board.

Most of the time if the BB has an ace he will just call because if he was sure of his kicker he probably would have reraised preflop, and will check the turn to me so I can take a free river.

This is a clear bet IMO.

11-29-2005, 10:49 AM
You would hate a big raise here sure but if it's big enough you can fold and it's not the end of the world. How often will you get raised though? Most of the time you will take it down here with a bet of say 275 and that's just fine. When in doubt, be agressive I say.

bigt439
11-29-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this because you can get all-in against most hands as a favorite, but only on the flop. Why not add FE to your equity? You have more than 15 outs as well; you likely have 2 overs to go with them.

As for the hand I'm betting every time unless my opponent is very aggressive. I don't see check raises all that much at the $55's and c-bets take it down a lot, which you would like to do. I totally understand tigerite's point and it is valid agains the right opponent, but without a good read I believe your FE outweighs the equity of a free turn.

grayhawk
11-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Grunching

You need to define your hand right here. I would bet half the pot and see what happens. If you are re-raised without proper odds to call with your flush draw, then you can lay it down. I don't see this as a strict continuation bet but more of a semi-bluff anyway.