PDA

View Full Version : FILM REVIEW: Witchfinder General (UK) / Conqueror Worm (US)

diebitter
11-29-2005, 08:36 AM
This is an interesting and uncomfortable little horror/thriller, about the infamous witchfinder Matthew Hopkins, who rode the british countryside taking money for his work, and persecuting the various pathetic wretches claimed to be a witch during the 17th century.

It's an interesting, worthwhile and watchable piece, and one of the few where Vincent Price, playing the lead, gives a subdued and decent acting job (hey, I love VP in camp mode - his usual work - but this is a very nice change), but here the world-view is that the world is a dismal, malevolent place where good and bad suffer alike. The ignorant peasants happily persecute people they've lived with for years, and war rages around.

Even the young lovers, who are dirtied and degraded by coming into contact with him, can't be reconciled at the end. The guy gets his revenge - oh it's grim - but there's no resolution here, no closure that revenge usually brings in other films. You are left in no doubt that they are forever tarnished and damaged, and the guy is not acting to revenge his fiance's degradation - more for the fact he broke the oath he made to protect her - the word means more than the woman...

Interesting and unsettling, and worth your time for its unsettling, angry 85+ minutes.

OVERALL: 3/5
REWATCHABILITY: Yearly
Adults only

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any films you'd like reviewed

RECENT REVIEWS:
A Christmas Story (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3997453&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1), Bedazzled (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3958086&an=&page=0&vc=1)