PDA

View Full Version : A middle set hand

Diamond Dave
11-29-2005, 08:18 AM
I thought about this hand and I'm not convinced I'm doing the right things here. It also made me think about numerous other hands I've played like this but never seem to feel comfortable. Anyone got any thoughts?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

MP1 ($100.65)
Hero ($103.80)
MP3 ($21.05)
CO ($108.85)
Button ($96.50)
SB ($23)
BB ($62.85)
UTG ($136.50)
UTG+1 ($148.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, UTG+1 calls $3, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3, MP3 calls $3, CO calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $2.

I think this is a reasonable call, although position isn't great.

Flop: ($18.50) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>

That looks to be what we're after in flop terms here.

BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $28</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, BB calls $28, UTG calls $28, UTG+1 folds.

Ok, so the $8 bet looks to me like 2 pair or bottom set or flush cards. QQ no clubs should bet more here. I must therefore raise or I am pricing in draws. Another $20 looks like enough and saves me a few $'s if anyone has QQ. 2 calls - expecting nut clubs for one and not sure of other one. UTG is the only guy I have any kind of read on - loose calling kind of guy.

Turn: ($110.50) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, BB calls $30, UTG calls $30.

With two checks this can't be a bad card. Sure I'm ahead but now think it would have been better just to stuff the lot in rather than just the $30.

River: ($200.50) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

UTG almost certainly has a missed draw so I don't see the point in a bet here with BB only having abut $1 left.

Final Pot: $200.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ac 3d 2s 8c (one pair, aces).
UTG has 6c 5d 3h Ad (one pair, aces).

Outcome: Hero wins $200.50. </font>

So this one turned out a winner but I'm just not sure on the right line to take with these kinds of hands.

As a side line, what about the other two guys? Don't think much of either of their plays.

Cheers

DD

RoundTower
11-29-2005, 08:44 AM
I like the call preflop and the raise on the flop.

I think the $30 bet on 4th street is terrible. OK it gets a small amount of extra money into the pot, but if you are almost certainly ahead why not bet the whole pot? Perhaps you felt UTG was trapping you with AAA and were intending to fold to a raise. It's certainly possible.

You might as well put in your last $40 on the river, UTG will be getting 6 to 1 and may make a crying call with 1 pair or 2 pair or a smaller set. Most importantly, he cannot raise you.

I think the other two players overplayed their hands preflop, although with 5 other players and closing the action I wouldn't fold BB's hand. UTG made a slightly loose call on the flop. BB played the hand fine.

jomatty
11-29-2005, 08:56 AM
imo you can rarely be that comforatable with middle sets in PLO. in your hand i probably would have raised the whole pot at every opportunity esp the turn. i wouldnt read too much into the too small bet on the flop as far as ruling out QQQ because of the high amount of holdem players trying out PLO who dont understand how vulnerable their hands are.
matty

Diamond Dave
11-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Yep, I think that I should just put the lot in on the turn. And also that having bet the way I did, I should have put the rest in on the river as there is always the chance of getting paid off by two pair.

Cheers

DD

Diamond Dave
11-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I wasn't ruling out that original bettor has QQ, just I didn't think it very likely. And yes, I should just push in on the turn, as looks very likely I am ahead but vulnerable

Cheers

DD

pocket3s
11-30-2005, 01:52 AM
I don't understand the call preflop, just think this is prob one of the best situations you can get with that hand and you never felt comfortable. I would of folded preflop but I guess I would of been poorer for it.