PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Flush... Anything I should have done differently?

11-29-2005, 06:04 AM
I flopped the flush on this hand. No real reads on opponent other than that I didn't think he was very good. Did I play this okay or should I have done something differently? Results to follow.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($99.95)</font>
Button ($70.95)
<font color="#C00000">SB :#A500AF(Villan)/ ($82.05)</font>
BB ($113.65)
UTG ($153.55)
UTG+1 ($108.20)
MP1 ($234)
MP2 ($196.25)
MP3 ($88.15)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB :#A500AF(Villan)/ completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villan bets $2</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Villan calls $6, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($23) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villan checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villan raises to $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $90.95</font>, Villan calls $23.05 (All-In).

River: ($187) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $187

yvesaint
11-29-2005, 06:11 AM
oh noes flush over flush

4_2_it
11-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Let's review: You limped SC from CO with two limpers (Good). You flopped the flush (Great). You got all the money in the middle before the board paired (Zingo!) Hard to critique this.

BTW --- Results don't matter.

DoomSlice
11-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Played fine.

beavens
11-29-2005, 12:31 PM
standard - nh.

djoyce003
11-29-2005, 12:42 PM
you did exactly what you wanted to, hopefully your hand was the best one.

11-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated.

Here was my thinking. When I flopped the flush, especially considering that the relevant ace was on the flop, I felt confident I had the best hand. I wanted to charge any sets, 2 pairs and higher flush draws to see more cards. When he raised me on the turn, I felt he may have actually flopped a higher flush, but was already so conditioned to think I was ahead as long as the board didn't pair and no other diamonds fell, that I pushed.

For what it's worth, Villian completed the SB with J6 of diamonds. Do the more elite players find a way to fold the turn in that situation? Should the presence or absence of the ace on the board impact the decision when you flop a flush with SCs? Or, is that turn check-raise being made with a set, 2 pair or draw often enough that I should push here even if I suspect another flush? Thanks for the advice.

Tim

beavens
11-29-2005, 07:35 PM
you should push - the odds of you both flopping a flush are pretty rare.

11-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I disagree with the consensus here. While it is definitely unlikely that both of you flopped a flush, after the flop hit, it is entirely likely for someone to stay in with this draw if they had a 10, J or K of diamonds.

I think there are two mistakes here. 1) You let the blinds see the flop cheap. It's entirely possible and likely that J6d would have folded. 89s with a couple of early limpers is an entirely resonable hand to raise with from the cutoff. 2) Your bet on the flop of $8 with $7 in the pot already isn't sufficient to tell you anything. What that bet says is, "please call me if you have a draw". You're laying good odds to anyone with a draw, which at that point could be BOTH MP2 and Villain. With a weak flush like that, I recommend overbetting the pot, maybe $12 or $15. Either you take it down right there, or you find out if someone has the Kd or also already made a flush.

DoomSlice
11-29-2005, 08:05 PM
You're not laying odds when you bet 8 into 7, you're actually making it almost indifferent between folding/calling, which is what you should usually be trying to do to maximize value.

11-29-2005, 08:22 PM
I think that may be true at a higher level game, but from my experience with $200NL, there are NUMEROUS unskilled players. The real value comes from overbetting made hands and watching the fish swim in. When playing with good players, I agree with you, but Murph says, "I didn't think he was very good". Well, if that's true, then he's probably not thinking about 1.88:1 odds to call the $8 bet, which means that if he bets $15 he's only going to get called by this guy with a made hand.

11-29-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with the consensus here. While it is definitely unlikely that both of you flopped a flush, after the flop hit, it is entirely likely for someone to stay in with this draw if they had a 10, J or K of diamonds.

I think there are two mistakes here. 1) You let the blinds see the flop cheap. It's entirely possible and likely that J6d would have folded. 89s with a couple of early limpers is an entirely resonable hand to raise with from the cutoff. 2) Your bet on the flop of $8 with $7 in the pot already isn't sufficient to tell you anything. What that bet says is, "please call me if you have a draw". You're laying good odds to anyone with a draw, which at that point could be BOTH MP2 and Villain. With a weak flush like that, I recommend overbetting the pot, maybe $12 or $15. Either you take it down right there, or you find out if someone has the Kd or also already made a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with a raise here preflop. And a narrowing raise at that. IMO one huge difference between limit and no-limit holdem and SC is that in limit you want there to be a big mulitway pot, whereas in no-limit that value comes much more from implied odds, and you stand to loose your stack with them in a family limped in pot. I just posted my reasoning in this thread here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=4057115&amp;an=0&amp;page=0&amp;gone w=1#UNREAD) .