PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 some unconventional blind defense - Q9o

Surfbullet
11-29-2005, 06:00 AM
Button(69/36/62atsb/1af) and I have played together extensively. We're pals - I sit on his left, and do my best to take his $ with a friendly attitude. He's super-LAG preflop, but settles down a bit post. He pays off A-hi and baby PPs wayyyy too much.
BB (45/13/1) is a bit too loose both pre- and post-flop. Fortunately not too aggressive, I think of him as a place-holder to maximize my time against the button.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Surf is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Surf calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Surf bets...</font>

Surf

mperich
11-29-2005, 06:02 AM
No.

-Mike

Surfbullet
11-29-2005, 06:04 AM
hahahaah - fair enough. Care to elaborate? fold preflop? fold postflop? stop trying to win every pot? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Surf

mperich
11-29-2005, 06:09 AM
Tough preflop situation because of the loose BB. I think fold is ok, and call is ok. I would raise if BB is under 40%vpip probably, but as is your probably not gonna lose him and ur losing your fold equity by inflating the pot. Check fold postflop the board is not ur friend =P

-Mike

TStoneMBD
11-29-2005, 09:49 AM
omg your flop bet is the grossest thing ive ever seen anybody ever do. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wynton
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Have these opponents ever see you lead bet in this type of situation where you have top pair? Since most people presumably would assume you'd go for a c/r on the flop if you have an Ace, the flop bet doesn't seem particularly convincing to me.

wdcbooks
11-29-2005, 11:16 AM
This is a great line against a thinking opponent . . . if you have AK. I have always viewed most donks as a sign of weakness and I would auto-raise this bet with anything. I really don't think you fool anyone with your lead and if you throw in the times that villain is actually raising with an ace, you are toast.

Hell you might get called down by something like 77 on curiosity alone.

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
"No."

NLSoldier
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I think preflop is ok, but just check/fold the flop. No need to get fancy vs two loose opponents. You are going to get buttons money by playing normal, not by playing like a total donk yourself.

StellarWind
11-29-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
omg your flop bet is the grossest thing ive ever seen anybody ever do. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop exaggerating. This bet will work a significant amount because sometimes both villains will be caught with hands like Q7 and T9 no diamonds. So it's very far from the worst play in history.

That said, it isn't going to work nearly enough either.

Suggestion: when you feel some spiritual or metagame need to act out in this fashion, wait until you have a diamond or two hearts so that you have an extra chance. There is no justification for taking a shot like this with black cards.

Surfbullet
11-29-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No need to get fancy vs two loose opponents. You are going to get buttons money by playing normal, not by playing like a total donk yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I need to get this mounted on a plaque on my monitor.

Surf

Surfbullet
11-29-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Suggestion: when you feel some spiritual or metagame need to act out in this fashion, wait until you have a diamond or two hearts so that you have an extra chance. There is no justification for taking a shot like this with black cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. That has been my policy for keeping my donkiness in check, historically.

While I certainly will get called by 77 etc, I thought there was a 1 in 6 shot this would work, since buttons range is the top 60% of his hands or so, and BBs range is the middle 50% or so given no 3bet. With ranges that wide they'll be left with unpaired cards quite often - BB will be stuck knowing the LAGy button is behind him, and button will see that i bet into 2 players...but I think this would be best saved for A) when i have ANY kind of a draw B) against thinking opponents C) when i have a history of donking flops with an A or big hand.

Thanks for the input and the correction.

Surf