PDA

View Full Version : River raise?

J. Stew
11-29-2005, 05:20 AM
Villain is loose and aggressive post flop but relatively tame pre-flop. He likes to bet any draw, and will fish a bit but not terribly. He's tricky at times but his aggression is somewhat controlled, not idiotic.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

I feel villain could be three betting with a flush draw or a pair and a flush draw and think those two options are more likely than a bigger hand like a set which I think he would wait til the turn to check raise me.

Turn: (6 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

I thought my hand might have been best here but I thought I would wait until the river to see if the flush came.

River: (8 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

No flush, I raise, whacha think?

Final Pot: 12 BB

silly_monkey
11-29-2005, 05:29 AM
I don't play much six max (yet), but I'm not sure about this play. I can't see him calling with too many hands that you beat. He may have been betting with the flush draw, but KQ makes a straight or he may have a better ace. Are you going to fold if he 3-bets?

J. Stew
11-29-2005, 05:51 AM
Yeah I'd be folding to a three-bet and I don't think he'd call with less than two pair or a better Ace. If I thought I had the best hand on the turn I probably should have raised. If he just called the turn raise and checked the river I could take a free show down, I think I got a little ahead of myself on this one. He had 7club5club.

11-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Bad river raise.

I'd prefer this play if the flush card HAD come.

He's not folding a better hand, if he's bluffing he folds anyway and your kicker is a 5.

AlmightyJay
11-29-2005, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is loose and aggressive post flop but relatively tame pre-flop. He likes to bet any draw, and will fish a bit but not terribly. He's tricky at times but his aggression is somewhat controlled, not idiotic.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

I feel villain could be three betting with a flush draw or a pair and a flush draw and think those two options are more likely than a bigger hand like a set which I think he would wait til the turn to check raise me.

Turn: (6 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

I thought my hand might have been best here but I thought I would wait until the river to see if the flush came.

River: (8 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

No flush, I raise, whacha think?

Final Pot: 12 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can he not have a bigger ace? You didn't put that in your analysis anywhere. You have no kicker. Also, you can't wait on the turn to raise the river if the flush doesn't come. If he is indeed just on a flush draw, you have the best hand on the turn. But if he misses the draw, he'll fold the river. You need to raise the turn to get him to put money in. Raising the river instead of the turn against a flush draw is completely pointless.