PDA

View Full Version : Did I Overplay Set?

11-29-2005, 03:03 AM
I think I may have overplayed this set on the flop and underplayed on turn. I definitely got very lucky catching the river card. MP1 and MP2 are both playing very recklessly. Any thoughts on the play?

8-handed $1/$2 limit on Full Tilt Poker:

Hero is in 5th position with 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Preflop: 2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks

Flop: (6.0 Small Bets) 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, BB folds, MP1 raises, MP2 3-bets, Hero caps, Button folds, SB calls 3 bets, MP1 calls 2 bets, MP2 calls 1 bet

Turn: (11 Big Bets) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, Hero calls, SB calls, MP2 calls

River: (19 Big Bets) 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, Hero 3 bets, SB calls 2 bets, MP1 calls 2 bets, MP2 caps, Hero calls, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Hero shows 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for four of a kind, sixes.
SB shows 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif for three of a kind, eights.
MP1 shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for two pair, eights and sixes.
MP2 shows 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif for a full house, eights full of nines.

Hero collects pot (34.5 big bets after rake).

I am thinking maybe I shouldn't have capped the flop and maybe I should have 3 bet the turn on the full house.

11-29-2005, 03:13 AM
When you call 3 bets cold on the flop, you pretty much give away your hand anyway, so a raise gains both value and deception for future rounds. Anyone who will call the three bets will call four bets, except maybe the original bettor. So I think capping is fine here.

I don't know why you aren't raising the turn. If you were scared of the straight on the flop, then you should now raise to charge the maximum to a difficult hand to get away from, unless you thought that you could drag in the two players behind you for one bet, but not two.

TripleH68
11-29-2005, 03:17 AM
Did you overplay this set? What?

You should have put in as many bets as humanly possible.

Harv72b
11-29-2005, 03:25 AM
I think it's interesting to note that you only made 1 FTOP mistake in this hand: not folding on the turn. Not that anybody here would even have considered that unless it was a live game and MP2 flipped over his cards before the action was on you.

Honestly, I would probably have played this hand exactly the same way that you did. Even without knowing that I'm drawing to 1 out, I don't want to 3-bet the turn and give an OESD the impetus to fold right there. Then again, that's an area of my game that I'm evaluating right now, as the other side of the equation is that many players will put in the extra bets while drawing dead on the turn, but check/fold when they miss on the river (GB MP1 for thinking his A kicker was good anyway). So yeah, I think that most times you're better off 3-betting the turn.