PDA

View Full Version : Simple hand. Is this how I should be thinking? (LC) - $11Stars

11-29-2005, 01:45 AM
Yeah, this is really basic, but I want to make sure my thought process is correct. $11 Stars. I'm new to NL & new to SNG's.

No read on opponent. Neither of us have really played a hand yet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t1330)
MP2 (t1140)
CO (t1900)
Hero (t1495)
SB (t1915)
BB (t1440)
UTG (t1780)
UTG+1 (t2500)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t90.

Flop: (t255) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t270</font>, Hero's action?

First, am I supposed to raise this? I can't fold, b/c I may have the best hand. I don't see a reason for calling, since I'll still be lost in the hand. The main reason to raise that I see is to protect what may be the best hand.

If I am supposed to raise, I never have any idea what I'm supposed to bet or raise. I have 1375 chips left. If my opponent has a set, 98 or JJ+, then he's probably taking all my chips.

Is my goal is to cut down his odds for hands that may give him a straight (maybe w/ overcard) and hands such as a pair w/ overcard? The best draw my opponent could have is JT which gives him 11 outs. So giving my opponent 1:3 odds should be my goal. That means I'd raise to approx 1000. However I only have 1375, so I should just go AI right?

So the correct move is AI. Am I right for the right reasons?

Edit: I just realized raising to 1000 would give him 1:2, not 1:3. 1:3 would be raising him to 750 or so. Still I'd push AI.

Freudian
11-29-2005, 01:52 AM
I think a push is best. The reason is simple. If you raise a decent amount (say to 600) you will leave yourself with so few chips left for the turn that they will be quite powerless there. Pushing makes best use of your chips. If he only bet 150, you can raise a smaller amount but with his big raise I think your options are more limited.

11-29-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a push is best. The reason is simple. If you raise a decent amount (say to 600) you will leave yourself with so few chips left for the turn that they will be quite powerless there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's why I concluded going AI. However, what if we were deepstacked w/ 10x more chips let's say. Then what would I raise him to and why? (assuming that a raise is correct)

Freudian
11-29-2005, 02:01 AM
If I had more chips I'd probably raise to 700-800. I can see going down to 600 if you think there is a decent chance he will call with a draw or A9 but fold to the larger bets.

11-29-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see going down to 600 if you think there is a decent chance he will call with a draw or A9 but fold to the larger bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying if I think he'd call a raise w/ a draw, then I should lower my bet? b/c raising to 600 gives him about 3.3:1. With implied odds, this isn't much of a mistake if at all to call.

11-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Your thought process is exactly the one I'd go through.

Quick bet-size primer. Sorry if it's too basic. If it's a little hard to read, just ask me to explain it again:

The standard betting/raising amount in NL is between 1/2 pot and pot. When raising, remember when calculating the size of the pot to take into account both your opponents bet (some web sites do this part for you) AND YOUR CALL. So, if there's t100 in the pot, and your opponent bets t80, a pot-sized raise would t100 + t80 + t80 = t260, so you should raise TO t340, and a half pot sized raise would be 1/2 * (t100 + t80 + t80) = t130, so you should raise to t210.

Choosing the actual amount to raise is dependent on many things. At the 11s, your value bets should tend towards the higher range as your opponents tend to be loose/passive. Also, since your opponents aren't paying much attention to bet size relative to the pot, you can frequently make cheap bluffs (1/3 pot or so). Spotting players who will respond well to this is very +EV, IMHO.

When a bet/raise would commit more than 1/3 of your stack, you usually want to go all in instead. This is not a steadfast rule, and you can definitely modify for specific opponents and situations. Preflop, however, you really want to stick to this rule, especially in STTs where FE is so important and people are scared of pushes.

Hope this helps. I realize that it's worded poorly, so ask questions about anything that confuses you.

Freudian
11-29-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can see going down to 600 if you think there is a decent chance he will call with a draw or A9 but fold to the larger bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying if I think he'd call a raise w/ a draw, then I should lower my bet? b/c raising to 600 gives him about 3.3:1. With implied odds, this isn't much of a mistake if at all to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a deep stack you can force him to make a much bigger mistake on the turn and he will be reluctant to fold because of the pot size. And if a danger card hits you could possibly get away from your hand, taking away some of his implied odds.

I don't mind letting people make smaller mistakes on the flop if I think they make bigger ones later. And that it can blow up in your face is simply yet another calculated risk. If you think he will call with a draw even if you make a larger flop bet, then of course you should go ahead.

11-29-2005, 03:31 PM
This is great. Thanks. I really want basic thoughts to help build a correct foundation.