PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Professors and what to do with them?

RustedCorpse
11-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Ok I have this professor for an anthropology class who basically walks into class passes around an attendance sheet for the 75+ students then takes questions.

The questions are always at least 40 minutes of "how do you want this assignment done, when do you want this assignment done etc...".

Normally I would say the students are morons but in this case they're not. This professor seriously comes up with some new assignment every day, and changes at least two of the assignments from the previous days. These assignment changes are drastic mind you, for instance one assignment was to write 30 pages on a "culture" outlining its belief system and foods due Dec 1st. Last week she changed this to read 3 books on cultures and write 5 pages about each book. Furthermore the final assignment has been changed about 6 times.

After answering the questions of what assignment and the like is due, she turns on a national geographic video, two if time permits, and the class disburses to repeat the whole thing over again.

My concern is that this teacher is going to give me a crap grade and there is nothing I can do about it. I've turned in over 5 assignments so far and not once seen one returned, or been given a grade for any of them, I have no idea where I stand as far as performance goes.

She has stated that she lost the first two assignments for the entire class, and then she implied that she can't find the third assignment, the other two she "warned" us to have backup copies because you never know what may happen to her copies.

So the question is, what do I do to cover my ass? I'm thinking going to some dean or something and basically saying that she's a moron and point out instances where this is true BEFORE the grades come out.

I've had about three run in's with this professor already (she once stated that she "hated America" to which I went off a little about how no professor who feeds herself partially off of state and federal funds should state that in a classroom.) and really really do not want to be powerless when grades come out to retaliate against her.

Ideas?

nothumb
11-29-2005, 01:11 AM
What school is this? Sounds utterly ridiculous. I'd file a formal complaint and get others to do so as well.

NT

RandBriscoe
11-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Go to the dean of the department...

MasterShakes
11-29-2005, 01:22 AM
1) Go to the department head

2) If this does not get you satisfaction, go to the dean of academics

3) If this does not get you satisfaction, go the president of the university

This is wrong. This professor is a moron. Schedule a meeting with each official listed above in order. Be as courteous as possible. Have detailed notes about all of the problems going into the meeting, so that you don't forget anything. If possible, get more students to go with you if you know of any other students who are pissed. If things are as you describe them, I'd be shocked if nobody else were pissed.

I probably would have gone much earlier in the semester.

Voltron87
11-29-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
She has stated that she lost the first two assignments for the entire class, and then she implied that she can't find the third assignment, the other two she "warned" us to have backup copies because you never know what may happen to her copies.

[/ QUOTE ]

gold.

what the other two posters said sounds good.

11-29-2005, 01:31 AM
And be sure you dress somewhat nicely to talk with these important people. You don't want to look like a slacker trying to get out of work

RustedCorpse
11-29-2005, 01:37 AM
City College of New York the "Havard on the Hill" if you will. Basically some uber liberal college that used to have merit in it's heyday but hasn't yet realized it's time has passed.

I didn't go earlier in the semester because the assignments weren't turned in till the 15th of novemeber or so, but yea I probably should have.

I have other students in the class that I know are furious, however, it's an intro class and most of them are clueless and lazy kids which concerns me. But yea I'll see what they want to do.

I always dress fabulous when at school, only because my art professor is hot!

11-29-2005, 02:04 AM
She's an alcoholic; don't worry about it, you can always bargain with an alcoholic.

RustedCorpse
11-29-2005, 02:08 AM
Dude, she's like UBER muslim, I assure you she DOES NOT drink. Allah forbids it.

tonypaladino
11-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Rusted,
When I read your OP I said "this dude has to go to a CUNY school". Most CUNY schools have an ass-backwards system where they determine how many classes they want to offer, see if they fill up, and then scramble at the last minute to hire instructors to teach the classes.

I would stay away from complaining to any department heads, because they will usually be as assholeish as the professors. All CUNYs have a Ombudsman who is assigned to offer advice on problems like this, and you should try to find him. I would also suggest making a written complaint to the dean's office and to the CUNY board.

EMcWilliams
11-29-2005, 03:45 AM
Not trying to thread jack, but I have a professor that has no due dates, no organization, has yet to teach us anything, and up until 2 weeks ago I wasnt in her grade book and I handed all of my assignments in. I think you have inspired me to talk to someone. I assumed that there was little I could do about it and this was a fluke, but I guess not.