PDA

View Full Version : My laptop is gg'd. Suggestions?

GoblinMason (Craig)
11-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Ok, I don't know what I did to my laptop, but it runs rediculously slow now. It's relatively new and I know it shouldn't be anywhere close to this slow. In fact it was lightning a couple weeks ago.

I've never had problems with viruses before and have done a good job of keeping my system relatively protected. Suggestions?

I ran a virusscan which turned up nothing...about to run adaware now.

Thanks,

Craig

cwsiggy
11-29-2005, 12:34 AM
hmmm - same thing happened to my computer (though I was without virus protection for a while) could possibly be a BHO or a hijack virus. Run "Hijack this" - google it, then check the log against this -

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

worst case - do a reistall to get rid of all cobwebs.

11-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Yeah, run Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Use a system utility tool (like System Mechanic) to check all your startup apps. I suspect you have many running. Remove all but the essential ones.

11-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Go to Start>>Run, type MSCONFIG, hit Enter

Go to the far right tab, that will list most of the apps loading in the background when you start the PC. You may find that there's a load of crap running in the background.

You can also use Regedit to look for even more things loading at startup, but you should only mess around in there if you don't need someone to tell you what to do.

GoblinMason (Craig)
11-30-2005, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the help guys; unfortunately none of the suggestions worked, so I reformatted it. 4 hours later it's good to go with PT, PAhud, and 4 different poker sites setup with both. /images/graemlins/grin.gif