PDA

View Full Version : OOT Recommends Mogwai and Sigur Ros, more!!

Rushmore
11-28-2005, 11:10 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I asked the learned denizens of OOT for some musical recommendations (more exactly, for "Unbelievably sad music").

See, now, I don't play. I immediately purchased about forty CD's, entirely based upon the recomendations I got here. I bought everything from Beck's Sea Change (wow--"Lonesome Tears"--wow) to Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. Patty Loveless. The Decemberists. Joseph Arthur. The Civil War Soundtrack. Elliot Smith. Lisa Germano. Wilco. Fripp. Arvo Part. I got all carried away.

I am glad to have purchased all of these CD's, but must admit to being most excellently pleased in particular with the Mogwai stuff and the Sigur Ros CD's (I bought 'em all--I oughta know). I even bought the Angels of the Universe Soundtrack and all of the EP's. They're still being delivered every day.

Anyway, my point was to first say thanks to OOT for this very valuable information.

My next point was to say that I cannot believe that there was this much great music readily available that I had never heard before. Now, I know a fair amount about music (enough to tell you that it seems fairly obvious to me that Mogwai was pretty heavily influenced by Swans, most notably Soundtracks for the Blind and the Great Annihilator), but I guess I have been so busy/antisocial of late that I have simply fallen out of the loop.

Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People and Rock Action are destined to become two of my all-time favorite CD's. I am truly amazed and sincerely thankful to OOT for turning me on to this unbelievable stuff.

As for the Sigur Ros material, I mean--good lord, it's brilliant. Spellbinding. Holy sh*t. Oh my God.

Thanks, guys!

ozyman
11-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Well I just went out and bought Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People so thank you.

MarkL444
11-28-2005, 11:30 PM
yeah sigur ros owns. whered you buy all of these?

gunt
11-28-2005, 11:38 PM
try elbow and arab strap if you liked mogwai and sigur ros...i think they are both from scotland

Rushmore
11-28-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I just went out and bought Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People so thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great stuff. I can't stop listening to it.

That said, I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone. It is, however, I suspect, perfect for anyone who does not listen to the radio, has a great love for rock and roll, and understands that sometimes the soundtrack is the best part of the movie.

If you never have, you might want to check out Swans (but be forewarned--the stuff can be pretty harsh). The Angels of Light CD's are damned fine, too (and far less harsh). Ok, although this is pretty far off the original point, try poking around here for a while:

http://www.younggodrecords.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=80&strPageHistory=cat

Good luck.

Rushmore
11-28-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah sigur ros owns. whered you buy all of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a bunch on Ebay, and some at the local used bin hipster doofus store when I was up in Jersey for the holiday.

Ebay absolutely rules for this sort of endeavor. Get home from the office, and, oh! how nice--the mailman left me a box with five new CD's that cost me a total of about $50.

Now where'd I leave those headphones?

TheBlueMonster
11-28-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beck's Sea Change (wow--"Lonesome Tears"--wow)

[/ QUOTE ]
one of my absolute favorite albums. And great song.

Shilly
11-28-2005, 11:57 PM
What other Sigur Ros albums did you buy? I have () and Takk, and they're both awesome.

ozyman
11-28-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you never have, you might want to check out Swans (but be forewarned--the stuff can be pretty harsh).

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:
One of their trademarks of their early work was playing painfully loud live to which audience members sometimes regurgitated and the police sometimes had to force them to cancel.

Harsh sounds about right.

jason_t
11-28-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the local used bin hipster doofus store when I was up in Jersey for the holiday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me that you don't mean the Princeton Record Exchange.

Rushmore
11-29-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the local used bin hipster doofus store when I was up in Jersey for the holiday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me that you don't mean the Princeton Record Exchange.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I was someplace in Elizabeth or Union or someplace with an old chum from Cranford. There was a guy behind the counter who was reading "Junky" and wearing a beret seriously), the speakers playing something about "sitting on a sandwich," and about how "absurd" it was. Ugh.

He scowled at my buddy as he rang up a GG Allin bootleg video, some Raw Power CD's, and a Genocide LP.

Great store, though. No idea what the hell it was called. There was drunkenness involved.

Rushmore
11-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Agaetus Byrjun, which is excellent, and Von, which I have just received, and not really digested yet.

Sephus
11-29-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What other Sigur Ros albums did you buy? I have () and Takk, and they're both awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agaetus Byrjun is even better.

Rushmore
11-29-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you never have, you might want to check out Swans (but be forewarned--the stuff can be pretty harsh).

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:
One of their trademarks of their early work was playing painfully loud live to which audience members sometimes regurgitated and the police sometimes had to force them to cancel.

Harsh sounds about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although there is not an untrue word there, they fail to mention the incredible gorgeosity of Sountracks for the Blind, White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, and the great stuff on Various Failures.

Hell, buy Various Failures just for the songs Love Will Save You, Failure, Will We Survive?, Miracle of Love, Why Are We Alive?, Eyes of Nature, and, the crowning achievement, God Damn the Sun.

Now that I think of it, that's about a third of the songs on the thing, and the rest are all damned fine, too.

Buy it.