PDA

View Full Version : The infamous low overpair. Stadard?

PoBoy321
11-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Button ($8.70)
Hero ($24.70)
BB ($18.90)
UTG ($27.30)
MP ($29.45)
CO ($11.15)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.75, BB calls $0.60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.80) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $10.55</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $15.85

Mercman572
11-28-2005, 11:03 PM
No problem folding this here. You may be ahead sometimes, but most times you're crushed. Good fold

Godfather80
11-29-2005, 12:01 AM
nh.

Maulik
11-29-2005, 12:03 AM
nice lead.

beset7
11-29-2005, 01:29 AM
perfect though lately I've been mixing in reraises preflop at the right tables.

BobboFitos
11-29-2005, 01:31 AM
i play it differently, but this looks ok

pho75
11-29-2005, 01:33 AM
any reads?

xorbie
You can get the same result leading for $2 or so here.

scdavis0
Flop is particularly easy to be semibluffed by AK

better check/call lead blank turn

Godfather80
11-29-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop is particularly easy to be semibluffed by AK

better check/call lead blank turn

[/ QUOTE ]

MP is semi-bluffing more than 1/3 of his stack? That seems unlikely to me.

beset7
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you play it at a table full of unknowns?

GrunchCan
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear how you play it. Edit: I play it the same as OP, but I don't like it.

Godfather80
11-29-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as well. Are you 3 betting this flop OOP or check raising OOP? Do you really think either of these lines is better?

BobboFitos
11-29-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as well. Are you 3 betting this flop OOP or check raising OOP? Do you really think either of these lines is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think both of those lines are worse, it does help to know something about villain though.

I really dont think op played it badly at all, sometimes I'd make it 3.25$ pf, although now I think about it, calling here is better. scdavis's line is the other I'd consider, although most of the time I'd just bet less on the flop.

the machine
11-29-2005, 01:56 AM
thats a perfect semi bluff, shows pot commiting, and ak isnt in bad shape here 44% post flop and if he has a read on hero then its def a great play. build the pot early in a close situation so when you hit there may be enough money in the pot to get paid off

Godfather80
11-29-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thats a perfect semi bluff, shows pot commiting, and ak isnt in bad shape here 44% post flop and if he has a read on hero then its def a great play. build the pot early in a close situation so when you hit there may be enough money in the pot to get paid off

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is 37% post flop. And the semibluff double the pot checkraise is a bit of a rarity at $25NL. Don't overthink this one.

CobraGoat
11-29-2005, 02:05 AM
i can attest to this being a good fold as i had the same hand come up today. picked up 99 UTG, call one caller behind. everything the same except i three bet and get blown up by KK. dog damnit i suck.

the machine
11-29-2005, 02:05 AM
AKs where suit is 1 card on board and 99 doesnt share suit ak is 41% (sorry) post flop so IMO a big semi bluff but not bad if he puts him on a mid pp

Godfather80
11-29-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AKs where suit is 1 card on board and 99 doesnt share suit ak is 41% (sorry) post flop so IMO a big semi bluff but not bad if he puts him on a mid pp

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I ran it as AKo but I guess we should compromise since of the 16 AK possible, 25% are suited and 75% are offsuit. (If one of hero's 9s is of the same suit as the AKs, it loses very slightly as well.)

Synthesis: Villain is 38% post flop on average with any of the possible AK combos.

PoBoy321
11-29-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think both of those lines are worse, it does help to know something about villain though.

I really dont think op played it badly at all, sometimes I'd make it 3.25$ pf, although now I think about it, calling here is better. scdavis's line is the other I'd consider, although most of the time I'd just bet less on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had thought about repopping it pre-flop, but 99 isn't a hand I want to get all-in pre-flop and it's difficult to play OOP against a PFR, so I figured that a stop and go would be my best bet.

rachelwxm
11-29-2005, 11:58 AM
easy fold for me.

GrunchCan
11-29-2005, 12:54 PM
I think this hand is fairly interesting because it happens a lot, and I've never really thought about it in-depth.

I never really liked playing this hand the way OP did, but it's always been my standard line becasue it seems like the least-evil line. So I thought a bit about the possible lines &amp; thier pros &amp; cons in this general situation where you have a marginal overpair to the board.

Thoughts, please.

Pot flop:
Pros:
- Good pot control
- Good hand protection
- Good value when we are ahead
- Moderate hand definition

Cons:
- We might lose the max when we are behind. Deciding to continue after a raise is a difficult decision.

Underbet Flop
Pros:
- Better pot control than PSB
- Usually good value when we are ahead
- Good protection (not as good as PSB)
- Easier decisions if opponent raises

Cons:
- Sometimes we win the least when ahead; some opponents are encouraged to bluff us off our hand
- poor hand definition

Overbet Flop
Pros:
- Best protection
- Good Fold Equity
- Moderate value

Cons:
- Pot growth is totally out of control
- Maximum exposure to a better hand
- We're very often pot stuck regardless of future action
- Minium value when we have best hand

Check-Call Flop
Pros:
- Good pot control
- Good value if opponent will bet overcards

Cons:
- Doesn't protect hand
- Doesn't get value for hand from passive opponents
- Doesn't define opponent's range at all
- Lose moderate when behind

Check-Fold Flop
Pros:
- We lose the least when behind

Cons:
- We win the least when ahead

Check-Raise Flop
Pros:
- Offers good hand protection &amp; good value if opponent will bluff at the pot with overcards often

Cons:
- We lose the most when behind
- We win the least when ahead against all other types of opponents