PDA

View Full Version : AJo on A33 flop

Allan
07-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi all,

Here is a hand I played today......I had trouble reading the hands and thus couldn't really figure out what my best play was supposed to be. So I leave it to you guys to tell me what you all think here....3-6 online from Party.

UTG limps and I raise from MP holding A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif The CO calls, the BB calls and UTG calls. 4 to the flop for 8sbs.

Flop comes A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Checked to me I bet CO raises BB then 3 bets, UTG folds. I just call and button just calls.

Turn is the [A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif]J /forums/images/icons/club.gif BB bets I raise and CO smooth calls. BB only calls

River is [A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/club.gif]2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif check bet call call....

What do you all think of my play and what hands do you think are out against me?

Allan

shortoneA
07-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Here is my analysis, it might be wrong but here is what I would think.

with the CO calling and not raising I would think he is on a Axs thinking you had KK and calling to the end.

BB raising the flop ect would make me think he had the 3 or a flush draw to scare people out. Then him raising and calling i would say he had the 3 and scared you had sets of Aces.

Besides that I thought you played it well.

Only thing I would have done differently is checked the river because i would think the BB would call if he had the two pair beat.

GrinningBuddha
07-05-2003, 08:15 PM
My guess: You came in 2nd to BB's K3s and CO's AQo.

Once the BB 3 bets, you are probably beat once if not twice. Depending on the opponents, you could lay down here on the flop, or try and see the river as cheaply as possible, on the off chance that your kicker is good. Once the J comes on the turn, you are now beating every Ace except A3, but still losing to that cursed random 3 that the BB may just be holding.

Given that it's unlikely that the CO has a big club, calling the turn and river might be best if you want to see the river.

cosmo kramer
07-06-2003, 03:03 AM
I expect the BB to have a 3, however some info on the player would be helpful. You raised preflop, bet the flop, got raised by someone else and he still 3-bet. This 3-bet makes me think he is not scared of an A. He slowed down on the turn, so I suspect he was afraid of the flush. I think I would fold on the flop with its two more bets back to me, but this would depend on the type of player the big blind is.

Louie Landale
07-06-2003, 09:40 AM
[1] Its a tough flop call unless the BB is particularly assertive. One option is to call the flop figuring he he doesn't have a 3 he'll stop betting against 2 players that obviously have an Ace.

[2] The best you can do is hope both remaining Aces are out and they both have weak kickers. So out of the 2 remaining Aces and 2 remaining 3s, you hope they both have an Ace.

[3] Loose-passive types are likely to call with a 3 and unlikely to raise without it. You've got a chance only against assertive types that call too many raises.

[4] You have no reason to raise on the turn. If CO has AK you are giving him 3 outs; if he has AT he's drawing dead. Combine that with the fact that you are probably beat by BB, and flat calling is a no brainer. OK, I guess except if CO is likely to have raised with a flush draw.

- Louie

lil'
07-06-2003, 10:06 AM
I think SB must have been sitting on a big ace, which is probably better than yours. I would consider folding here, depending on my knowledge of this player.

KefAAAA
07-06-2003, 10:28 AM
It's a tough call when you've got a pair on the flop. Your play to raise pre-flop was done well. That could help get any of the players with small pairs or flush draws out. In doing this you inadvertently probably knocked out the player with the third three.

I would have checked on the flop to see how other players react to the flop.

You caught the Jack which was good but I think that someone holds that fourth three that remains. Let me know if I was right if you get a chance.

Allan
07-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Louie,

Thanks for the response. Regarding your thoughts:

[1] Its a tough flop call unless the BB is particularly assertive. One option is to call the flop figuring he he doesn't have a 3 he'll stop betting against 2 players that obviously have an Ace.

If BB bets again and you get no improvement do you fold?

[4] You have no reason to raise on the turn. If CO has AK you are giving him 3 outs; if he has AT he's drawing dead. Combine that with the fact that you are probably beat by BB, and flat calling is a no brainer. OK, I guess except if CO is likely to have raised with a flush draw

If I believe CO raised the flop on a flush draw isn't my turn raise one very stupid action once the flush card comes in?

Allan

Allan
07-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Buddha,

Given that it's unlikely that the CO has a big club

I thought the flop raise was one of 2 things, a weak ace or a flush draw raise.
Does the Ace of suit being out on the flop make it more likely for you to read it isn't a flush draw? Just wondering how you came to this conclusion.

Thanks,

Allan

Allan
07-06-2003, 12:37 PM
KefAAAA,

I would have checked on the flop to see how other players react to the flop.

I don't see how this can be correct. I have what looks like a great hand on the flop and I don't want to allow a free card to a flush draw. I'll also get some action from anyone with a maller kicker than me and if they were loose enough to call my raise with A crap I think they will be getting to the river for a showdown. A bet will also give a reaction........can't say that I made the correct decision to those reactions but I think a bet is the only thing to do on the flop.

Allan

Allan
07-06-2003, 12:48 PM
I take down the pot

I was up against CO A2suited BB AKo.

Allan

GrinningBuddha
07-07-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm assuming a reasonable opponent here, which would mean he'd have to have Ax K /forums/images/icons/club.gif or Ax Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif , unless he cold-calls raises and UTG limpers with KQo. That means there are two cards in the deck that he could have to have a high club, and most players won't raise a single high club hoping to go runner runner. Given the raise on the flop, it becomes quite unlikely that he has exactly AK or AQ with the club. More likely, he has exactly Ax, since he won't be calling raises with a 3 in his hand either. Usually.

The BB is much more likely to have a 3 given that he's getting 7 - 1 odds to call your raise. Not that most low limit players really care about that. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif