PDA

View Full Version : squash

daryn
11-28-2005, 09:43 PM
from voltron's post:

here's what i don't understand. why do people play squash? seems to me like it's just a sucky version of racquetball where the ball doesn't want to bounce.

Ulysses
11-28-2005, 09:45 PM
squash is like 9 million times cooler than racquetball.

11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
squash is like 9 million times weirder than racquetball.

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino
11-28-2005, 09:53 PM
I thought this was gonna be another cooking thread...

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5941/canningpickledsquash4uw.jpg

11-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Racquetball is to squash like T-ball is to baseball.

Voltron87
11-28-2005, 10:04 PM
when you warm the ball up (by hitting it, with your opponent) the ball becomes much bouncier. there is somewhat of a learning curve, this is true, but when played right the ball is not dead. couple tips:

try using a new ball. when balls get old (smoother on the outside, shinier) they lose some bounce and are harder to heat up. You can also buy different types of beginners balls, the standard professional ball is a two yellow dot ball, you can buy one dot balls which are faster and bouncier or slightly larger ones with no dot.

if you have trouble getting the ball warm, try stepping on it and rubbing it against the ground with your shoe. this will get it warm if you do it for 20 seconds or so.

its a really good sport, it is a better workout then racquetball and even though it is more phyiscally demanding it is a thinking game, it is not a power game. its worth it to learn.

RacersEdge
11-28-2005, 10:07 PM
of course, hand ball is the real man's sport..

11-28-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its a really good sport, it is a better workout then racquetball and even though it is more phyiscally demanding it is a thinking game, it is not a power game. its worth it to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave a smart-ass answer but this is the real reason squash is cooler than racquetball. There is a much greater mental element to it.

11-28-2005, 10:23 PM
my ex wife and liked to play handball.....Oh wait thats now really the same thing is it? nevermind

Cubswin
11-28-2005, 10:35 PM
its a really good sport, it is a better workout then racquetball

If you are basing this on calories burned per hour, this is not true. If you are basing this statement on muscle condition, i would say this is also not true.

Voltron87
11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its a really good sport, it is a better workout then racquetball

If you are basing this on calories burned per hour, this is not true. If you are basing this statement on muscle condition, i would say this is also not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

search for racquetball and squash, then do some math (http://www.tooelehealth.org/Community_Health/CVD/Calories_Burned.html)

Voltron87
11-28-2005, 10:44 PM
search for squash and racquetball under activities, do more math (http://www.carlorie-count.com)

Cubswin
11-28-2005, 10:46 PM
search for racquetball and squash, then learn to read (http://www.tooelehealth.org/Community_Health/CVD/Calories_Burned.html) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Voltron87
11-28-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
search for racquetball and squash, then learn to read (http://www.tooelehealth.org/Community_Health/CVD/Calories_Burned.html) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont get it

Cubswin
11-28-2005, 10:52 PM
haha... nice... change the url of your original post when you accidently post a link to a website that proves my point

700 > 650

11-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Racquetball is listed twice. Once at 460 and once at 700. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Voltron87
11-28-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha... nice... change the url of your original post when you accidently post a link to a website that proves my point

700 > 650

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf, i didnt edit any of my posts.

it has racquetball listed twice, i searched in my browser and the first one says 460 for racquetball

chuddo
11-28-2005, 11:01 PM
real men play ping pong. and frisbee golf. and foosball.

chisness
11-28-2005, 11:02 PM
i'm planning on learning squash this winter break. my dad's been playing all the time for years, but it seems a lot more difficult to find a court than for rball.

jba
11-28-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's just a sucky version of racquetball where the ball doesn't want to bounce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brain
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played disc golf in sooooo long. I was throwing with my cousin in CT on Friday and my disc broke. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

11-28-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+ snooker and - frolf

SackUp
11-28-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stop thinking of food tony! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

housenuts
11-29-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
from voltron's post:

here's what i don't understand. why do people play squash? seems to me like it's just a sucky version of racquetball where the ball doesn't want to bounce.

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw this topic the other day and was keen to read/reply but then the forums stopped working.

now i see it is an uneducated post. racquetball is for goofs who lack coordination and game sense. you can't really do a drop shot in racquetball because the ball bounces too much. squash requires more skill, finesse, and game sense.

evil_twin
11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Squash is an awesome game. If the ball is "dead" then you're not warming it up. Use a red or blue dot ball which requires less warming and is easier to use. Once you're any good, move to a yellow dot ball.

Regular squash players are some of the fittest people you will meet, an hour on the court with a well matched opponent is like an 8+ mile run. Not only is it utterly great cardio exercise, you actually have to use your brain a lot while playing, and try and outwit your opponent.

Those who don't like it are either ignorant or fat and lazy (or physically unable to play due to disability of course). It's that simple. I've never heard of racketball, some US only thing I suppose.

housenuts
11-29-2005, 08:12 PM
racquetball is similar but has a big blue bouncy ball and fat stubby racquets. it's quite the same however you don't really have to move because at some point in the balls path it will come within your swinging area.

evil_twin
11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Probably quite a fun game, just not squash /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh and people get rather badly injured playing squash, it's not some weak game. Squash balls in the eye socket (this is why people wear goggles), or massive bruises and welts from a 90mph+ projectile hitting you, or broken bones from the other guy swinging his racket too close.

Voltron87
11-29-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably quite a fun game, just not squash /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh and people get rather badly injured playing squash, it's not some weak game. Squash balls in the eye socket (this is why people wear goggles), or massive bruises and welts from a 90mph+ projectile hitting you, or broken bones from the other guy swinging his racket too close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely wouldn't say it's a dangerous game. I've been playing for over 5 years and I don't know anyone who has been seriously injured playing it. It is not really bad on your knees either, which some people initially think.

The whole "racket hitting eyes" fear is waaaay overhyped, this just doesn't happen very often. Don't let this deter you from playing the game, it happens very very rarely. I don't know anyone who has had an eye injury, and I know a lot of players. You should wear eyeguards, theyre not a big deal though. Beginner players tend to have big awkward swings and don't really know how to move well around the court, so there is a slightly higher risk from them. but still a v. small one. getting hit by the ball hurts and leaves a mark for a day or two but is not serious. And for this to hurt you have to be playing someone who can hit it hard. the ball is soft anywway.

housenuts
11-29-2005, 09:13 PM
if the "danger aspect" of squash scares you then you belong in front of your computer all day long.

haha, this reminds me of a game i played the other day with some random guy. i'm on a squash ladder so i meet up with him for a game. before it starts he says "ok, if i'm ever in front of you, in the way of your shot, don't shoot and it's your point, because no one wants to get hit in the back"

i said to him, 'alright, but i don't care if you hit me. you can smoke me in the back for all i care'

he looked a little perplexed. a little into our game he was sort of in front of me. i hit it off to the side, not really very close to him, and he stopped and said 'see, that's what i'm talking about those. don't hit those'

ok buds, grow a pair.

oh ya, haha, at the start he also said "where's your goggles? i got an extra pair if you forgot yours"

please.

beckham9
11-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Here is some real squash videos (http://www.guide-to-squash.org/pages/gam1/engl.html)

I am a pretty serious squash player, and have been playing since I was about 9 years old. I am nationally ranked. I entered into a raquetball tournament for fun, into the A division, and won my first match, then lost my second match. A good squash player is automatically a good raquetball player, but a good raquetball player is probably not a good squash player.

evil_twin
11-29-2005, 09:53 PM
I admit I never wore goggles while playing, it's only the novices who look round to see what you're doing and get the ball in the eye problem. I also wasn't too worried about getting hit with the ball in the back or whatever, although if someone did it to me with any kind of regularity I'd get massively pissed off with them, it just shows lack of care.

Perhaps I played with people who could hit hard, I got hit in the back of the leg once and couldn't walk for days, and many times couldn't lie on my back from huge bruises.

People shouldn't let it put them off that's for sure, just be aware of the possible problems and don't do anything stupid.

Sadly I can't play anymore, great game, I miss it.

SossMan
11-29-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
squash is like 9 million times cooler than racquetball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Q: How did i know El D would like squash
A: I live in Fremont

Sorry, Bay Area inside joke.

Godfather80
11-29-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
from voltron's post:

[/ QUOTE ]

And voltron was right.

EliteNinja
11-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Tennis is way better.
Spins actually do something.

Also, Foosball owns.

housenuts
11-30-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tennis is way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. and it's generally outside in the sun

daryn
11-30-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
racquetball is similar but has a big blue bouncy ball and fat stubby racquets. it's quite the same however you don't really have to move because at some point in the balls path it will come within your swinging area.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
you can't really do a drop shot in racquetball because the ball bounces too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

these two quotes basically inform me that you are mentally retarded

housenuts
11-30-2005, 06:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

these two quotes basically inform me that you are mentally retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
why do people play squash? seems to me like it's just a sucky version of racquetball where the ball doesn't want to bounce.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

housenuts
11-30-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can't really do a drop shot in racquetball because the ball bounces too much, unless of course you are playing against a slow fat guy

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP

Ulysses
11-30-2005, 06:14 AM
daryn,

Perhaps you should give squash a try before getting involved in arguing the relative merits of squash v. racquetball.

Your friend,
El Diablo

daryn
11-30-2005, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
daryn,

Perhaps you should give squash a try before getting involved in arguing the relative merits of squash v. racquetball.

Your friend,
El Diablo

[/ QUOTE ]

if you notice, i say nothing definitive about squash, and i actually mention that i have never played.

i am just defending racquetball. housenuts is clearly retarded if he thinks you can't hit drop shots. the court is big. and he thinks you can get to the ball wherever you are on the court?

i probably weigh at least 50 lbs. more than him and i would gladly bet up to $5,000 on a game of racquetball if he wanted

Ulysses
11-30-2005, 06:23 AM
daryn,

Are you familiar with the Quick Reply feature? You should give it a try.

Helpfully yours,
El Diablo

daryn
11-30-2005, 06:24 AM
ok..

nice!

housenuts
11-30-2005, 06:30 AM
play squash for a bit. you will quickly realize racquetball is for amateurs.

as for a $5,000 bet it is enticing. i don't exactly have the money for that but if i ever do i'll look you up. this is probably a +ev spot for backers.

one day daryn we will be at the same poker tourney and we'll meet up for a game.

daryn
11-30-2005, 06:33 AM
btw i have nothing against squash, and would play it. i watched the video and it seemed like the guys always hit it so high up on the wall. where are the kill shots? no ceiling ball? back wall? bah!

housenuts
11-30-2005, 06:44 AM
no ceiling, but you can use the back wall.

evil_twin
11-30-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tennis is way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who say Tennis is better just haven't played squash. Tennis is a good game, I used to play a lot, but very different. It's nice to be outside, but it's like going for a long walk compared to going for a long run. Very different games. All that time between games, clearing balls up etc, makes it much slower.

You proved you never played squash (or hardly ever) by suggesting that spins don't do anything in squash. Drop shots and topspin are used just as much.

housenuts
11-30-2005, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i probably weigh at least 50 lbs. more than him

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been trying to sleep for the past hour but i can't. i just thought of something funny too. if you weigh 50 lbs. more than me no way you can beat me in almost any physical activity.

11-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I dunno, I weigh 265 and unless you're D1 A bball player, I would bet anything on earth that I would smoke you in one-on-one.

sry for teh mini hijack, but that statement reeks of not true.

hmm, where would I be able to go to check out this... squaaashh? a typical gym?

housenuts
11-30-2005, 12:33 PM
you don't way 50 lbs. more than me

stoxtrader
11-30-2005, 01:10 PM
The amount of calories burned in squash is directly corelated to your level of play - the better you are, the more you burn because the points last longer. pro matches can sometimes become a test of will as much as skill.

raccquetball is also a fun sport, better for novices imo, and easier to get competent at.

I have played a fair amount of both and much prefer squash if there is a decent game - i would compare the workout to wrestling, boxing or swimming sprints, for a good squash singles player. I think i would prefer racquetball if my opponent was a novice though. but either was is fine, you can play squash in such a way as to entirely and sadistically maxmimize the amount of running your lesser skilled opponent does, with the point ending only when he refuses to run anymore, not when either of you hits a winner (or rarely anyways).

If anyone in NYC is decent at squash and looking for a game, PM me.

DeadMoneyOC
11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I played squash my freshman year of college. We almost went to the national championship but apparently Duke took our spot. I play a horrible game but my team was filled with a couple Indian dudes who were pretty nasty. We played in the Rhode Island league btw. RIISA or something like that?> Lots of fun, If I still went to school in RI I would definitly play. Squash kept me in amazing shape.

Runner Runner
11-30-2005, 02:00 PM
I prefer squash over racquetball when I am playing another player that is at my level. The game has great action, more intense points and it's a great workout.

I find that I don't enjoy the game when I am playing someone who is a level or 2 higher or lower then me. The points aren't long enough and it is not a great workout. I think that racquetball would be a preferable in these circumstances, when the person you are playing plays at a different level then you, the bouncier ball would at least allow for some longer points to be played and a good workout for both players.

housenuts
11-30-2005, 02:03 PM
this is very true. it's not fun playing someone who is no good. basically you can get by with barely having to run at all and just watch them run around like a monkey.

i've never played someone that much better than me that it wasn't fun, but i'm sure there's many people that would just embarass me.

beckham9
11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
one key difference which I think says a lot about the games is that they better you get at squash, the longer and more intricate the points become. While the better you get at raquetball the shorter the points become becaues both players become so good at killing the ball.

Becuase it is difficult to kill the ball in squash, you have to move your opponent out of position before you can hit a clean winner, either by hitting a good shot to the front and then hitting a winner to the back, or by hitting good length which sets up an easy shot to the front.

Part of the fun of squash is that slowing down the ball is an effective strategy, using a lob and drop, unlike in raquetball where these shots do not exist except as extreme defensive measures. You don't just have to bash the ball

daryn
11-30-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been trying to sleep for the past hour but i can't. i just thought of something funny too. if you weigh 50 lbs. more than me no way you can beat me in almost any physical activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're simply incorrect. i don't know how else to say it

edited to say i guess i'm not 50 lbs. more than you

housenuts
11-30-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're simply incorrect. i don't know how else to say it

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, if you beef up to 270, what sport do you think you could beat me in?

EliteNinja
12-01-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tennis is way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who say Tennis is better just haven't played squash. Tennis is a good game, I used to play a lot, but very different. It's nice to be outside, but it's like going for a long walk compared to going for a long run. Very different games. All that time between games, clearing balls up etc, makes it much slower.

You proved you never played squash (or hardly ever) by suggesting that spins don't do anything in squash. Drop shots and topspin are used just as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I've never played squash in my life. I'd definitely like to try though.

Tennis doubles is definitely slowass. And it's hard for beginners to get rallies going.

chisness
12-01-2005, 06:30 AM
is it just me or is it considerably harder to find a squash court than a raquetball one?

GuyOnTilt
12-01-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. I just watched the squash Iron Chef this weekend. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GoT

housenuts
12-01-2005, 06:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is it just me or is it considerably harder to find a squash court than a raquetball one?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably just you. my university has 7 squash courts, and 2 racquetball courts. most gyms around here only have squash courts.

edtost
12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably just you. my university has 7 squash courts, and 2 racquetball courts. most gyms around here only have squash courts.

[/ QUOTE ]

it varies; my school has eleventy-billion squash courts but there aren't any racketball courts anywhere near here, at home, i can find about even numbers of each.

on an unrelated note, badminton courts are impossible to find.