PDA

View Full Version : WSOP2003 Documentary on ESPN??

dj_jazzyjeff
07-05-2003, 03:14 PM
I heard from somone that ESPN is going to be airing a documentary of the 2003 WSOP (I think I may have read it on Cardplayer.com). Does anyone know any more about this?? When it will air, how long it is, etc.

Also, I can't wait for /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Tuesday /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . This year's WSOP is going to be the best coverage of the event that there's ever been. I bought it on PPV on the internet, but I hear ESPN had hole-cameras and had many more cameras on tables during the early rounds (possibly for the documentary).

<font color="red"> </font color> There were over 800 entrants in 2003. I'm predicting that w/ the explosion of online poker and spectacular coverage recently, there will be over 1100 next year. Anyone have any other predictions?
<font color="red"> </font color>

dj_jazzyjeff
07-05-2003, 07:43 PM
ESPN's documentary should be sweet. This is the little bit of dirt that I could dig up on it.
If anyone finds out anything more, let me know. This is going to be HUGE for poker!!

"Because the media coverage this year was not just huge, it was intense. The World Poker Tour’s impact cannot be overestimated. Poker is in, and against the banal laws that seek to restrain it, poker holds up as a game. ESPN was more than there, in TV fashion they sought to take it over, the players seemed willing when offered a seven show series. The TV table of the day, ringed by rolling cameras on every side and a boom swinging wildly and zooming on in. The horizontal cameras embedded into every table that would have caught all the hole cards when they were bent up in secret and had a direct feed to a tape that was called always off-line. Every player wired for sound, on Day 1 featured conversations between Robert Varkonyi, Doyle Brunson, Padraig Parkinson, and Scotty Nguyen. Day 2 was Phil Hellmuth and TJ Cloutier, Bruce Van Horn and Kevin Song. Day 3 featured Lederer, Darden, Moneymaker, and Chan. Day 4 is Phil Ivey, on a day that saw every player started at the TV table go out, Phil Ivey the last to fall in tenth position. Day 5 will doubtless belong to the champion."

This is the article I got it from (http://www.thegoodgamblingguide.co.uk/spotlight/wsop2003/wsop2003_jessemayreports.htm)