PDA

View Full Version : Live Versus Online

dedoessc
11-28-2005, 07:20 PM
I am having a hard time deciding whether to focus on more live versus online play. I have a smallish bankroll (2-3k) and only play to supplement my income. I have been back and forth between whether it is better to play live or online. I personally feel that it is not worth it to play limit live unless I have bankroll for 15-30 and above. I can multi table 2-4 to 5-10 and get about the same win rate. Recently I started playing some live 1,2 and 2,5 no-limit and found that it is a very profitable game. Is it to my advantage even though I live in Vegas to be playing online, because of less rake and more hands or should I be taking advantage of all the B & M around me. I am having a hard time figuring out which is best for win rate and rake. Are the 1-2 NL online games as easy as the live game?

xtingshun
11-28-2005, 07:24 PM
For money, you can't beat the online game. More hands, ability to datamine helps (I'm just now starting serious online play after alot of live play) and the game selection. You can really pick and chose the table(s) you play on.

I really really enjoy playing live and won't stop my random trips to the cardroom but I see more oppurtunity online.

Solami17
11-28-2005, 07:30 PM
I am pretty sure it is illegal to play online if you live in Vegas

TheBlueMonster
11-28-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure it is illegal to play online if you live in Vegas

[/ QUOTE ]
it's illegal to play online in most states.

Solami17
11-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Really, I thought only a couple states made it illegal

obsidian
11-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Online is most certainly more profitable per hour if you multitable. Probably if you single table too.

11-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Not to mention the rake that you pay online v. live makes online a no-brainer. You also don't have to tip the dealer and waitress.....so if you want to maximize your money play online. The only benefit of live play is being able to read people.

TexArcher
11-28-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really, I thought only a couple states made it illegal

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much the legality of gambling online that will get you (if they ever decide to start going after people, which is highly unlikely), it's the violation of interstate commerce laws when you cash out.

TexArcher
11-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Online all day -- no tipping, multi-tabling, much greater table selection, etc, etc. The only real downside is not being able to read physical tells and the occasional computer glitch, still outweighed by the pros by a lot in my opinion.

11-28-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the rake that you pay online v. live makes online a no-brainer. You also don't have to tip the dealer and waitress.....so if you want to maximize your money play online. The only benefit of live play is being able to read people.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. From a money standpoint you are correct, but in a live game it is so much more fun. The social aspect makes it worth it to me to pay that rake, as opposed to online being extremely unsocial.

ThaHero
11-28-2005, 09:03 PM
I really like playing live better. Personally, for me it's more fun. Real cards, real chips, real people, hot waitresses, etc. But you can just make more money online.

If you are only playing for fun, just play whichever form you have more fun at. Simple as that.

If your main concern is money, then you HAVE to play online.

Only other advantage I can think of that wasn't listed here, is that live you can play much higher in limits against worse opponents. The 1/2NL live is a LOT easier than the 1/2NL online. This fact is sort of countered by the ability to multi-table lower limits online to achieve the same winrate as you would playing a higher limit live.

11-29-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. From a money standpoint you are correct, but in a live game it is so much more fun. The social aspect makes it worth it to me to pay that rake, as opposed to online being extremely unsocial.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very true. Nothing compares to being able to play live- sitting next to people, playing with chips and real cards, definitely makes live playing better. I was speaking from a purely financial aspect.

damaniac
11-29-2005, 01:04 AM
I disagree with your disagreement. Online, I can turn off the chat. Live, I gotta listen to everyone bitch about how aces never win and other tips they want to give me to improve my poker game. And though I love the mistakes they make, I really hate listening to people who have no clue what they are talking about trying to educate me.

Sometimes I have a good time, but since i'm mostly interested in earning money I'd really rather play online.

11-29-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with your disagreement. Online, I can turn off the chat. Live, I gotta listen to everyone bitch about how aces never win and other tips they want to give me to improve my poker game. And though I love the mistakes they make, I really hate listening to people who have no clue what they are talking about trying to educate me.

Sometimes I have a good time, but since i'm mostly interested in earning money I'd really rather play online.

[/ QUOTE ]
A respectable disagreement to my disagreement. You are right, there is always is the know-it-all. But IMO there is nothing better than the overall atmosphere of playing live.
-From a money standpoint, I do agree that online is better.
--Oh and I just thought of this damaniac, you don't have to smell other people's disgusting smoke when you are at home in front of your computer.

dedoessc
11-29-2005, 06:08 PM
I think I did not explain my question.

I have played a lot of limit, live(2-4 to 40-80) and online (.50-1 to 15-30) I do not like playing online limits higher than 5-10 because I don't need a winrate that high or have the bankroll to support it. I also do not like playing live less than 15-30. I was 4-6 tabling 2-4,3-6 before party broke off from their affiliates and do not receive rakeback anymore. That is when I started playing No Limit live more. I am wondering if it is more to my advantage to be playing NL (specifically) online vs. Live. I get bored playing low limit online like a robot and can't do it anymore. I can't even focus so I don't play.

Also how does multi-tabling NL online differ your strategy because my successes have come at NL when I am focused on the players and making reads. Will it be easier and quicker to build my roll by playing about 20-30 hours a week of live NL 1-2 blinds or just stick to online.

Thanks a lot for the repsonses.

adamstewart
11-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Try This:

LINK (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php)

Then, for Futher discussion on this novelle topic, you may do the following:

1. Click "Search" link at the top of the page.

2. Click the "In Subject" option, as opposed to the "In Subject and Body" option.

3. Enter "+live +online -re:" (no quotations) in the "Keyword Search Terms" box.

4. Ensure you are searching "All Forums".

5. Extend your "Date Range" to "5 months."

..... Holy $hit!! Look at that!!!! 42 Old Threads on the exact same subject within the last 5 months!!!! That's right, approximately every 3.5 days someone starts a brand new fcking thread on this subject. Awesome, eh?

Adam

Recliner
11-29-2005, 10:09 PM
When I multi-table NL I don't have a hard time following the action and watching what players do. I usually look for someone to do something really stupid and focus on trying to take all their chips. Poker Ace HUD and taking notes make it much easier to figure out if I am ahead or behind in a hand.

You said you had a 2-3k bankroll which should be plenty for a live 1/2 NL game, because you'll have horrible players trying to give you money. If you are good you should be able to pull in a decent hourly rate playing these games.

After you get your BR to 4k I'd suggest taking 1k start clearing bonuses playing NL50 or NL100 online. This is because playing these games will help you become a better player much faster than 1/2 NL live is going to. Plus this allows more flexibility and lower costs.