PDA

View Full Version : End of the Month - Is it OK to limp home? (LC)

kevstreet
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
I've had a month of struggles but find myself, somehow, on the plus side. I wouldn't mind taking a day or two off just to finish positive. Anyone ever do this?

11-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Taking some time off is an absolute necessity! You had a rough month, give yourself a break.

11-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Yes... but it's bad, very bad. And I must stop! There's a good little extract from Mike Caro in Super System II about this sort of thing. It's -EV.

11-28-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had a month of struggles but find myself, somehow, on the plus side. I wouldn't mind taking a day or two off just to finish positive. Anyone ever do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The logic's clearly wrong, but if it makes you happy, go for it.

I do tons of things like this, like cashing out most of my BR to let myself see my profits more easily (going from $2k to $2.1k isn't very impressive to me; going from $50 to $150 is.) or dropping down in stakes after the hundreds digit in my BR changes so I lower my chances of falling under.

They're -EV in the short run, but may be +happiness and certainly -insanity.

handsome
11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
No way. You should do whatever is in your power to get yourself further positive.

FlyWf
11-28-2005, 07:43 PM
All the time, in a lot of different ways. It's shortrun -$EV, but so is sleeping and eating and having sex with my girlfriend.

[censored] money. Do whatever makes you feel good.

ZeroPointMachine
11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
If it helps your mood and improves your focus it is +EV longterm to take a short break regardless of the actual reason. I'll take my "A" game 20 days a month over my "B-" game 30 days a month.

I had a brutal holiday weekend and made a huge comeback with a nice profit Sunday. Tonight I'm going to go play in a crappy live tourney just to relax, have a few drinks and splash some chips.