PDA

View Full Version : $10+$1 KK - did I play too weak?

11-28-2005, 06:18 PM
$10 + $1 Sit & Go, Table 1 - 50/100 - No Limit Hold'em -

Seat 1: (1,470)
Seat 2: (5,775)
Seat 3: Irontoof (1,195)
Seat 4: (1,230)
Seat 5: (1,260)
Seat 9: (2,570)

Seat 2 posts the small blind of 50
Irontoof posts the big blind of 100
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Irontoof [K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif]
Seat 4 folds
Seat 5 raises to 350
Seat 9 folds
Seat 1 calls 350
Seat 2 folds
Irontoof raises to 600
Seat 5 raises to 1,260, and is all in
Seat 1 folds
Irontoof calls 595, and is all in

Seat 5 shows [Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif]
Irontoof shows [K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif]

Ok so I lost, he hit his Ace, that's not the point. I'm concerned about my play before the flop.

Seat 5 has clawed his way back from very few chips by playing aggressive poker. I've got him on any pair or Ax from his raise.

My image is of a tight player not playing many hands, the hands I have played I've either picked up the pot without showing, gone to showdown with something or folded early. So that may well be weak/tight not just tight.

Now I'm unsure what to do in this situation. I don't know if I should try and tempt him into the pot and take my chances or if I should just go all-in hoping to take the pot without showing. I've only recently come back to tournaments from cash games where I'm sure the correct answer is to get him to commit and take the 70/30 for all the chips.

What is the collective 2+2 board wisdom on this. I'm not bothered about the result of this particular hand, I'm bothered about the play at this point in a sit and go.

Thanks

citanul
11-28-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
50/100

Seat 3: Irontoof (1,195)

Seat 2 posts the small blind of 50
Irontoof posts the big blind of 100

Seat 5 raises to 350
Seat 1 calls 350

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you've got 1200 chips. if you push and take down the pot, without a caller, you'll have picked up to 2k. that's a lot. chances are that you'll get at least one caller though. as you'd really prefer to run this out with one player, and don't want to foster bad habits, you should push this preflop.

11-28-2005, 06:27 PM
I think you played well... I would have re-raised a little more, but you got what you wanted... to go heads up with a high percentage to double up. You just got unlucky and he hit an ace... Hopefully it wont happen next time.

eniven
11-28-2005, 06:30 PM
definately should have pushed preflop. You've only got 12 BB's. Any re-raise that you can make basically pot commits you. Better to push than to raise and call his push.

11-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Well, the way I saw it, I had three options.

Call, check the flop and hope to draw them in. I didn't like this because I'll end up against 2 villains.

Push and see what happens. I'm going to scare off one villain possibly two. My greed got the better of me and I was worried this option wouldn't make the most from the kings. As Citanul points out however, even getting both of them to fold is almost doubling me up at that point.

Raise some hoping to get heads up all-in with only one villain. Make it look like a 'please fold I have very little' bet and then go all-in anyway. Has the potential to net me the most chips but puts my tournament life on the line.

The question was, is the potential extra profit worth the chance of busting out? You have also got to factor in the fact that at $10+$1 buy-in I may not have pushed both villains out of a pot that size no matter what thier holdings.

I have a long history of 'over-thinking' these types of decisions!

11-28-2005, 06:39 PM
If you had aces, the smaller raise wouldn't have been as bad since you're always significantly ahead against his holdings. With kings, a caller, and the stacks/blinds, this is a definite push.

11-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Push preflop. Just taking the pot now is a great result in itself, but I imagine you'll get at least 1 caller from just pushing anyway, no need to get cute with a small raise.

11-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I push here.

If you just call PF, you're giving two people to draw over your KK. If they both miss, they might not contribute any extra chips but a push PF would get a hand that you dominate like AQ to call you. With such a big raise from UTG+1 and a caller, it would be rare to see the raiser fold to your push anyway. If they do, you should be happy to pick up that huge pot uncontested.