PDA

View Full Version : AK against Captain Insano

djoyce003
11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Stack sizes

Hero - $50
Villain - $250

Villain is like 90/35 and most of the 35 is minraises.

He's got a big stack and i want some of it...hard to make a dent in it with $50 so I'd like to double up as quickly as possible. I've seen him call all ins with suited connectors and small pairs as well as aces as bad as ATs. With that in mind.....

Hero is UTG with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero raises to $2.
2 folds.
Button Calls.
Villain (SB) raises to $3.50
BB calls
Hero pushes.
Button Folds
Villain Calls
BB folds

Like it, hate it?

beavens
11-28-2005, 05:56 PM
i like it - even bad players get good hands, but with someone that plays that many hands (and also only minraisses) i think you're definitely the favorite right now.

as i'm impatient, could you plz PM the results? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GrunchCan
11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't like it becasue you're just going to force the opponent to fold so often when you have the best hand. If you call you induce further action from Captain Insano.

Edit: and I don't think I like the quick reply feature, as it didn't reply to the right post.

Kyriefurro
11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
I'd like it a lot better with a big PP, AA-TT.

AK is a coin-flip against any PP, all the way down to 22. On the other hand you've got anything else you think he's likely to call with badly dominated. In this case you DON'T want him to fold, so the fold equity you're getting out of this move is irrelevant.

All said, this play is a gamble. As long as you're happy with that, then I guess it's fine.

xorbie
11-28-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain had red AA board came 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/spade.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif and hero had it in the bag with the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif but 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif falls for the split. Bad beat.

djoyce003
11-28-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it becasue you're just going to force the opponent to fold so often when you have the best hand. If you call you induce further action from Captain Insano.

Edit: and I don't think I like the quick reply feature, as it didn't reply to the right post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we know he'll call with bad hands, and I should have put this in the original post but he isn't a complete idiot post flop....he's definitely crazy preflop and willing to gamble but if he has something like JJ and an ace flops and I start betting, he's going to fold.

djoyce003
11-28-2005, 06:03 PM
LOL...not quite xorbie....way off.

beavens
11-28-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain had red AA board came 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/spade.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif and hero had it in the bag with the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif but 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif falls for the split. Bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh.. i feel so unsatisfied.

Andrew Fletcher
11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All said, this play is a gamble. As long as you're happy with that, then I guess it's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is only a strong hand for it's fold equity. If you're trying to get his stack, pushing with AK is pretty -EV. Like the other commenter, I'd like it a lot more with TT-AA. This looks like a classic case of overplaying AK PF.

Guin
11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Hopefully you have him dominated here with him holding k10o or some other similar hand. I like the play because you had a goal and got it done... I am sure if you lose this hand you reload and go do it again... the question is how many times are you willing to keep this type of pressure on this guy?

Or is this a quick double up and then tighten up and play solid poker strategy? It should help your table image as well as a mini Captain Insano.

Guin

xorbie
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is only a strong hand for it's fold equity. If you're trying to get his stack, pushing with AK is pretty -EV. Like the other commenter, I'd like it a lot more with TT-AA. This looks like a classic case of overplaying AK PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, folks. Of course everyone wants to do this with TT-AA. That's obvious. The point is, this guy will absolutely call with hands with as little as 30% equity, and taking a flop is just going to force us to very often make a huge mistake by folding the best hand (why let him keep betting postflop with KJo UI)?

4_2_it
I wish you wouldn't post my new Party screen name in your thread titles. If nothing else, you showed the Captain that you like to gamboool.

sting
11-28-2005, 06:15 PM
If he would call all in with no more than 2 broadways or any pair (and based on OP's read that he was crazy preflop, he would) then a push is a no brainer IMHO.

Andrew Fletcher
11-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm actually not worried about Villian. Instead, I'm looking at the BB and Button. Both of them are still active in the hand and might wake up with something serious.

I guess I should refine what I'm saying: You might have villian dominated, but there is a strong possiblity some of your outs are dirty and that any of the other active players in the hand might wake up with something that destroys you. Even if both of the non-villian players fold, they might be folding As or Ks you need. We can find a better spot against Villian.

djoyce003
11-28-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Or is this a quick double up and then tighten up and play solid poker strategy? It should help your table image as well as a mini Captain Insano.

Guin

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly my goal...I need to get a stack of 200 bb so that his mistakes are that much worse....i'm ok with taking 50/50 to a small pocket pair and there's no way BB in this hand has anything that's calling a raise/reraise/push he'd have already pushed when it had been raised and reraised to him...I think he'd have pushed after the second raise, that only leaves button and I doubt he's smart enough to play second hand low here...i'm ok with risking it there. I'm fairly confident against villain that i'm at worst a coin flip and at best I have him dominated...i'm also confident that if he reraises he'll call a push, which he did.

Again, this isn't for me to win $50 although that's nice...this is so that I can get a stack of $100 so that I can hit him for $100 later.

nietzreznor
11-28-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would only be true if he wasn't getting called by suited connectors and dominated aces, which it sounds like he will be.

RiverFenix
11-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Xorbie has said everything that needs to be said in this. If you want to get a bigger stack you need to gamble some with people who will call you pf, and if youre taking coinflips AKo is a pretty good one to take

djoyce003
11-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Results:

He called me with 77, I flopped two pair and he didn't set up, so MHIG. Unfortunately I was never able to double up my $100 off of him as I hit a run of cold cards, but still ended up $50 up at this table mostly from this hand. I think this is a great line to take when you figure to be at worst a coin flip and at best having him dominated...also it gives me the shot at doubling up to $200 off of this guy later because he'd call a 200bb all-in in the same situation.

GrunchCan
11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Question. Would this opponent have 2-bet you with T7s? If so, would he have called your push?

djoyce003
11-28-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question. Would this opponent have 2-bet you with T7s? If so, would he have called your push?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure he'd 3bet with T7s. If he did he'd call my push preflop more often than he'd call a bet on an Ace hi flop.