PDA

View Full Version : I get check raised 3 times, no (censored)

car ramrod
11-28-2005, 05:37 PM
SB is new to the table, stats are 31/8/1 over about 100 hands, no other real reads thus far.

SB completes. I'm in teh BB with 89o

Flop: 9T7 rainbow

sb checks, I bet, sb raises, I call (should I have 3bet)

Turn: 9

sb checks (right now I figure him for a draw), I bet, sb check raises again. (maybe he has the straight now, but I have boat outs) anyone 3bet here?

River: 5

sb checks again, I think no way is he raising me again and bet, (censored) he does it again. fold, call, 3bet?

did I screw this whole hand up?

Dathan

jt1
11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
did you just open limp on the button?

I'd have 3 bet the flop

I'd have played the turn and river the same. You did call the river cr, right?

11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's Big Blind.

I would probably 3 bet the flop or even play it the way you did. His line is so wierd that I would probably call his river bet.

yellowjack
11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
The villain is a lucky idiot who happened to have a line which happened to work against your hand. I would 3-bet the flop (while b/f the turn and river if they were blanks), but given the line you took you played it fine.

11-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I would have 3-bet that flop. Now given how you played it. You cant fold(since I so want to see his hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

11-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Was this on Stars>? I think it was me lol
I flopped the nuts, and played it like I was buying a free draw card to pull off the 3x CR
cdl

car ramrod
11-28-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
SB completes. I'm in teh BB with 89o

[/ QUOTE ]

by the way, I am in Columbus also, do you play anywhere around town?

car ramrod
11-28-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was this on Stars>? I think it was me lol
I flopped the nuts, and played it like I was buying a free draw card to pull off the 3x CR

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, he didn't have the nuts, but I will wait a few minutes for results.

My big question was whether or not I should have 3bet teh flop. Seems most agree I should have.

jt1
11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
what is this?

11-28-2005, 06:54 PM
1. Consider raising this preflop

2. I'd three-bet the flop, but not the turn.

3. Definitely call the river.

You run into some monkey playing AA or KK pretty often.

11-28-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What are your reasons for this?

11-28-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What are your reasons for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against players who can fold before the river, and who tend not to "play back" at you, raising preflop rewards your position and punishes their passivity. You materially increase your fold equity for betting the flop/raising the turn when the board looks scary. Be careful about using this against players who will play back by limp-reraising preflop, or checkraising any flop.

callmedonnie
11-28-2005, 07:18 PM
sb is my new hero. yea, three bet the flop.

car ramrod
11-28-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sb is my new hero

[/ QUOTE ]

yea I know pwned /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, I called, he had J9 and got me w/ his kicker.

11-28-2005, 10:58 PM
i like the 3 bet if ur reads correct and u think hes reall aggressive, cap = check call, im only calling a turn bet, but im bet calling his raise, and checking or calling the river

B00T
11-29-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like this at all.

imported_AlphaGun
11-29-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I dont like this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like that you don't like this at all. This is a must raise.

mvoss
11-29-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should check this article (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/seetin1105.html) out.

MyTurn2Raise
11-29-2005, 06:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karmadog
11-29-2005, 07:04 AM
This happened to me once and I was the one check-raising, did it 3 times. It was when I first started out in poker. When I check-raised on the river he folded in my case though. I think it's a creative way to try and get more money out of donks who just constantly bet, chase draws(call re-raises) but I am not sure if this would work enough to make a habit of it.

deception5
11-29-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should check this article (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/seetin1105.html) out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The article is interesting but does not mention the advantage of raising now to keep the SB from completing in future hands. Next time he thinks about completing he'll have to consider that it's going to cost him 1.5SB rather than .5SB.

mvoss
11-29-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm not saying never to raise here, but when somebody says this is a "must raise", I think they could benefit from reading the article I referred to.

Again, I weren't trying to be a jerk, I just thought that the poster saying to always raise this might benefit from reading an article that argues to sometimes a different line.

imported_AlphaGun
11-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Interesting article. It neglects to discuss some of the important advantages to raising in this situation but does make an interesting argument. I guess the situation in the post is the borderline case where your hand is an average one. Any better hand and I think a raise is suitable here.