PDA

View Full Version : My bad beat

B Dids
11-28-2005, 05:26 PM
My friend has a tournament he used to put on. A bunch of people collect up north of Seattle and pony up 20 bucks to try and win like... more.

I'm probably one of the 3 best players there, and this was before I was good, which says more about them than it does me.

I have JJ at some point, and raise preflop in early position. I get raised by this dude "[censored] Face".

Anyway- [censored] Face raises me, and I call, but I should probably fold, because he's boring and wouldn't raise me w/o something huge. (basically his range is 4 hands, only one of which I beat, and I'm a slight fav over that one) Instead I call, and decide I'll suck out and piss him off.

The flop gets dealt, first card, A JACK. I think this is pretty awesome. Second card, A king, ok, maybe [censored], 'cause there's a 1/4 chance he's got KK, but maybe awesome, 'cause there's a 1/4 chance he's got AK and will give me his stack. The 3rd card is... ANOTHER JACK. As a wise man (bisonbison or "The Daver") once said "CHRISTMAS TIME IN MY PANTS".

I check, he checks. Please note that at this time I was a pretty lousy player, and that this is story- not a question about how I played this hand.

Turn is a K. Hmmm... this is good. V. unlikely he's got KK, and maybe he'll take a stab with QQ. I check. He checks ([censored], he's got nothing, I'm not going to make any money with QUARDS!!!)

River is a blank. He shoves, I insta call. He has this shocked look on his face, like a "really, you call". I take this to mean "[censored], you have a K or a J and my AA is no good".

In fact this means that he's turned a one outer and is amazed that somebody called him when he had the nuts. He flips up KK and says "bye" (he has me covered).

Now at the time this guy was a friend, we'd talk poker every day. We worked together. A friendship wherein you wouldn't say "bye" like a dick when you'd just laid a sick beat on somebody. My heart fills with spite and rage.

The tale closes as we hit up the 2/4 game in the local card room. He buys in for 50 bucks and busts (leaving him down for the night) because "These low limit players don't fold, this is like bingo!" I cleaned up in the sidegames before we hit the card room, and won a big pot (AK 6 way on a K7742 board with 3 clubs, where 42 didn't understand why I won, sadly, I check the river last to act /images/graemlins/frown.gif ) there, and finished ahead like $100 on the evening.

The moral: Being a lucky fish is nice, but being a dick is mean, and actually knowing how to play poker is even better. Take that [censored] Face.

B Dids
11-28-2005, 08:20 PM
I am totally bumping this.

Justin A
11-28-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only forum where this type of bumping is acceptable and actually encouraged.

11-28-2005, 08:30 PM
That really does suck losing quads vs. quads. Must have been rigged.

cnfuzzd
11-28-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bump

cnfuzzd
11-28-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bump

[/ QUOTE ]

bump

SomethingClever
11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Quick Reply Bump

cnfuzzd
11-28-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quick Reply Bump

[/ QUOTE ]

http://elliottback.com/wp/wp-content/speed-bump.png

TheBlueMonster
11-28-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The moral: Being a lucky fish is nice, but being a dick is mean, and actually knowing how to play poker is even better. Take that [censored] Face.

[/ QUOTE ]
don't we all wish that the ass clowns that talk [censored] get what's coming to them.

ZenMusician
11-28-2005, 10:58 PM
The part when Bird first pokes his head out and then a bit more
had me on my office floor in tears.

Other than JP you are my hero!

-ZEN

B Dids
11-28-2005, 11:13 PM
The avatar is credit of Stuey- who rules!

ZenMusician
11-28-2005, 11:17 PM
I think you should hold a contest...maybe a holiday/seasonal type one.

The best Bird avatar gets used by Dids and maybe other such privileges!

I would enter...I have Adobe CS2 right here...!

-ZEN