PDA

View Full Version : 200NL River decision with a set

KowCiller
11-28-2005, 05:00 PM
So I've been trying to work on my river play especially trying to work multi-purpose bets, such as block/value or bluff/value bets in certain situations.

Villain is something like 18/4, TAG with weak-tight tendencies. He's a multi-tabler and probably a winner in this game.

Party Poker $200 NL

Hero ($200)
Villain ($280)

I limp UTG with 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. 3 folds, MP limps, fold, Villain limps in the CO, folds to BB who checks.

Flop ($9) 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets $8, MP folds, Villain calls.

Turn ($25) 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets $19, Villain calls.

River ($63) T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets $25, Villain ...

All comments appreciated.

KoW

RiverFenix
11-28-2005, 05:08 PM
It would be nice to know what villian does...

I like leading all 3 streets on a board like this w/ no resistence, id bet slightly higher than 30 on the river

soko
11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
I like the $25 bet just fine, if he rasises you you have to fold.

4_2_it
11-28-2005, 05:14 PM
If villain had an OESD on the flop then you are dead in the water, so the blocker looks fine. I assume your plan is to fold if pushed?

Hoopster81
11-28-2005, 05:21 PM
I would bet that he has got a 9. I think you have to consider a c/f here for the simple fact that [ QUOTE ]
Villain is something like 18/4 . . . multi-tabler

[/ QUOTE ] and he is not going to bet this river unless you are beat. What range do you have him on here? The only hands in my range that don't have a 5 or a 9 in them are 66/88 (which will check behind on this river) Only realisic hand you are beating that might call that block is 66.

emil3000
11-28-2005, 05:23 PM
I like the river bet just fine.

KowCiller
11-28-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would be nice to know what villian does...

I like leading all 3 streets on a board like this w/ no resistence, id bet slightly higher than 30 on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to bias any results by stating villain's action or results.

4_2, the plan was fold if raised.

What do you all think about a check-call a river bet instead of leading? It's a pretty scary board that might induce a bet from busted flush or weird top pair?

Do you think villain's calling range is as wide or wider than his bluffing range?

The purpose of the bet at the time was to slow down hands that have me beat (5, 88) and get value out of hands I beat (some weird 2pair or smaller set? but would they raise an earlier street?)

KoW

KowCiller
11-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Hoopster,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I think c/f has to at least be considered here. I did consider it, but villain is on the button and while 18 VPIP is tight, it's not set-miner range. I'm wondering if there might be a few flush draws he would bet if checked to or use the scary board against my UTG limp. He has shown signs of weak-tightiness though.

I'm know there's not "right" or "wrong" answer here, just wanted to spur some discussion.

KoW

RiverFenix
11-28-2005, 05:29 PM
If he is as weak-tight as you said in OP, then dont check since he wont be betting a missed flush or a TP type hand anyway but will be likely to call

Hoopster81
11-28-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but villain is on the button and while 18 VPIP is tight, it's not set-miner range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think the set is very likely here. His stats are similar to mine, so all I can tell you is what hands I would play like this, and they all contain either a 5 or a 9.

RiverFenix
11-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I dont think a 5 is in his range unless he is playing 55... Besides, a 5 probably raises the turn.

9 is likely, but not likely enough that Im going to be shutting down on this river.

4_2_it
11-28-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you think villain's calling range is as wide or wider than his bluffing range?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think villain's bluffing range here is zero. No way this type of player bluffs at that board. If he was calling he has a hand that he wants to showdown.

Check/calling is your worst option (Check/fold is next, followed by a blocker). I think the way you played this hand will lose you the least amount of money when you are behind which is an important consideration when you have a hand that you want to show down on a scary board.

KowCiller
11-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Results

Villain shows 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for flopped two pair. I was very surprised by a couple things:

1) I never heard a raise from him. I'm not sure why, perhaps he wanted to wait for a safe turn, but then felt his hand was too good against my range (I'VE GOT 2 PURR, NO WAY I'M FOLDING!!11) But I didn't expect that from a "tag"

2) I'm surprised he called my river bet. All he beats is a busted flush draw. I had been playing draws aggressively (got AI with bottom pair + OESFD draw that didn't get there on another table a few hands ago). Maybe he noticed but perhaps unlikely.

Oh well.

KoW

pho75
11-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I like it all.

pho75
11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
He was worried about the str8.