PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting table read - perhaps ($22)

Scuba Chuck
11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP2 (t730)
MP3 (t770)
CO (t775)
Button (t1700)
Hero (t810)
BB (t790)
UTG (t230)
UTG+1 (t1390)
MP1 (t805)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t95</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t85, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 folds.

Flop: (t235) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

I was so baffled by his check. Virtually any hand bets here. There are only two exceptions to this. Sometimes, and I want to emphasize sometimes, AK checks here. But otherwise, I think KKK checks here. In fact, I almost wrote "Do you have 3 kings?" in the chatbox. Thoughts?

durron597
11-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Can you please add what the turn was? If we are going to discuss a plan for the rest of the hand (given your thoughts on a read), it would be helpful to know what the turn was.

Also I think this isn't time to get cute preflop in a $22 sng.

bluef0x
11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
I think AK checks here a lot.. $11/$22'ers love to slowplay AK/KK when they hit and overvalue pocketpairs preflop and sometimes on the flop.

Check is definately fishy, but I wouldn't automatically put yourself behind villiain. I say bet out 175 to see where you're at. He might have a PP and scared of the King- or trying to slowplay AK/KK.

citanul
11-28-2005, 04:13 PM
hero reraises to ~225 or ~250 preflop. this isn't the wsop, the guy's going to put in a ton of chips with whatever he has.

SonnyJay
11-28-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm reraising this preflop. I don't think you're seeing someone who reraises folding to another raise at a $22 very frequently.

Given that you played it the way you did, I can't imagine any turn card making me unwilling to play the hand. I've seen too many crazy plays at these levels that I can't immediately think "set" when I get a check here. You'll definitely see it sometimes, but I don't think it's enough to give up on your hand here.

But again, reraise preflop.

-SonnyJay

Scuba Chuck
11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hero reraises to ~225 or ~250 preflop. this isn't the wsop, the guy's going to put in a ton of chips with whatever he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's generally how I play. I just didn't this time. This was a non-standard hand for me.

citanul
11-28-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's generally how I play. I just didn't this time. This was a non-standard hand for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, no worries. i just think there's very close to actually 0 value to mixing up my play in low stakes sngs.

in this spot, if you think his range is AK or KK, put some nice distro on which is which, and play accordingly. there's no shame in occasionally playing a small pot with AA when you've dicked yourself preflop and are out of position and have a bad feeling about the procedings.

might he have played QQ and JJ this way? AQ?

c

Scuba Chuck
11-28-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

cool, no worries. i just think there's very close to actually 0 value to mixing up my play in low stakes sngs.

in this spot, if you think his range is AK or KK, put some nice distro on which is which, and play accordingly. there's no shame in occasionally playing a small pot with AA when you've dicked yourself preflop and are out of position and have a bad feeling about the procedings.

might he have played QQ and JJ this way? AQ?

c

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think so. If I put him on a range of hands preflop that makes a raise like this, even a smallish pair like 99 or TT (assuming those are sets also - not looking at HH), I see all of them making a c-bet minimally. Furthermore, I think AK bets here more than 50% of the time. Perhaps as often as 80-90% of the time.

Anyhow, yeah, I can see why playing for a small pot here would be wise when my sensors are going bezerk. I saw the showdown, so I know he had KK. But it was interesting to me. If I had to put %'s to it, I would have said that it was like 90% KK, and only 10% AK. At least, that's how I felt during the hand.

citanul
11-28-2005, 05:01 PM
if you're able to put your guy on a range that small, i'd:

1) call only tiny little bets going down unless i improve
2) fold if i felt like it

there's no shame in playing a small pot and there's also no shame in folding if you think you're behind.

aces be damned.

Scuba Chuck
11-28-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're able to put your guy on a range that small, i'd:

1) call only tiny little bets going down unless i improve
2) fold if i felt like it

there's no shame in playing a small pot and there's also no shame in folding if you think you're behind.

aces be damned.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the hand, I really had a sense for how to think about playing in situations like these with deeper stacks. It was the first time I've had that kind of epiphany.

citanul
11-28-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the hand, I really had a sense for how to think about playing in situations like these with deeper stacks. It was the first time I've had that kind of epiphany.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like it's time to move to cash games chuck

microbet
11-28-2005, 05:31 PM
I promise an afterlife with 72 virgins to the first person who posts a hand played in a similar way by villian preflp and on the flop where the villian had bupkis.

The second poster will get 71 virgins, and so on.

11-28-2005, 05:32 PM
You might be overthinking for this buy-in level. At $22 everybody's not aware of cbetting, and somebody might be just too weaktight to bet this when scared of K. At higher levels that check would be more suspicious.

downtown
11-28-2005, 06:30 PM
3-things immediately pop into my head as I read this thread:

1) No need for non-standard play here. Raise it up PF. With a raise and a reraise, I may even push here in a 22 (50% of the time, let's say). At the very least you must raise though. It's not just a non-standard line, it's bad.

2) You're not really that deep stacked here.

3) Just play ABC poker. He will have 45 other random hands (ok maybe not 45, but you know what I mean) for every time he has a set of kings.

If I can't get it all in preflop, I am sure as hell trying to get it all in on the flop. The only reason to check behind on this flop is to induce a bluff on the turn.

I think this is a dangerous results-oriented post that could lead some players in the wrong direction. Overpairs are very profitable in the 22s. Scary check on rag board or not, you're gonna lost a lot more with AA in the long run than you win if you play it like this.

11-28-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might be overthinking for this buy-in level. At $22 everybody's not aware of cbetting, and somebody might be just too weaktight to bet this when scared of K. At higher levels that check would be more suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, he could hold QQ, JJ, AQ, anything here "afraid" of the K on the flop, maybe players are too weak to even c-bet. I defiantely re-raise PF, I very much doubt villian will fold here to a re-raise, he'll at least call your raise and helps build the pot.

J-Lo
11-28-2005, 08:31 PM
u guys are weird.... Today i had AA at lvl 2 in a $55 in MP... UTG limps, i raise to 125, CO calls, BB pushes w/ 400 chips, UTG pushes w/ 995, i push w/ 1,000, CO call 985... Hands

BB KQ
UTG 33
ME AA
button AK

of course 33 wins, but doing anything but pushing in YOUR spot is foolish. I know people are saying, "be more open minded, and try and win more chips," but FPS is something that is creeping back into this forum.

golfcchs
11-28-2005, 08:59 PM
First of I reraise pre flop, I mean common its a 22.

Now on the flop I think you are way over thinking here, but if you want to go with your line here you have to check call any bet. You will diffinatly see enough random hands bluffing here if you check call. Let me repeat that you cannot fold especially if you check the flop.