PDA

View Full Version : AA in a battle of the blinds

ajmargarine
11-28-2005, 03:39 PM
I played this hand last nite. At the time I thought I played it poorly, now when I am posting it I am not so sure. Reads: jury is out on villian. I've seen him make some donk plays and seen him take some great lines. I think he might just be a decent thinking LAG.

On another table, 10 minutes prior to this hand, I make a PFR with AKo. Villian is only caller in BB. Flop comes 336. He c/c's my CB. Turn comes 4. He c/c's me again when I fire a second barrel. River board looks like this: 3364[6]. He fires out a PSB. I take some time and fold. He shows 47. I tell him nh in chat and I fib and tell him I folded KK. So that hand is in the back of my mind as I play this hand, and my first thought is that he is trying to push me out of the hand.

.50/$1 NLHE 5-handed

Villian has $140, Hero covers.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
3 folds, Hero raises to $3, Villian calls $2.

Flop: ($5.75) Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players)</font>
Hero bets $4, Villian raises to $8, Hero raises to $16, Villian calls $8.

Turn: ($36.25) J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players)</font>
Hero bets $16, Villian raises to $32, Hero calls $16.

River: ($99) 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villian bets $29, Hero calls.

I usually raise a bit more preflop. But I wanted action from this guy, and I guess I got my wish. Comments on all streets welcome.

beavens
11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
what's up with the flop min-reraise and leading for less than 1/2 pot on the turn?

11-28-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what's up with the flop min-reraise and leading for less than 1/2 pot on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like some wierd form of blocking/pot control type betting. I think the line is ok.

KowCiller
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
I think if you're going to 3bet the flop, make a real raise.

As played fold the turn.

My default would be stop-n-go this turn for 2/3 the pot and block the river for 1/2 pot.

KoW

RiverFenix
11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Raise more pf. I think he is more inclined to fire again on turn if you call his raise on flop. Id try and 3bet all in on turn which requires close to a PSB.

His river bet is odd and I dont like this line very much. It makes you look donkish and gives him a lot of control since youre OOP and fire so weak on the turn after 3betting flop.

gunslingner
11-28-2005, 04:38 PM
You're calling the turn raise and the fold to 1/3 pot on the river??? Yuck.

Flop 3bet is even more yuck. Dunno what you tried to accomplish but I think you have to fold the turn now.

I think i would call his flop raise, c/c turn, lead river...

Or lead turn, lead river... Problem is with this kind of villian you have to go allin or fold on the the turn if he raises your lead... AA sucks...

ajmargarine
11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Maybe I should have kept my original title: My WHOTM.

My Worst Hand Of The Month.

4_2_it
11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I give your play a 3 using your "Check Your Line" scale (only because you resisted the urge to fold pre-flop). I admit I chuckled at the min raises.

djoyce003
11-28-2005, 04:59 PM
this hand sucks pretty bad but I don't think i can fold either.....there is too great a chance villain has something like QJ which i'm beating. I probably play this in a similar fashion.

Hoopster81
11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My default would be stop-n-go this turn for 2/3 the pot and block the river for 1/2 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

gunslingner
11-28-2005, 05:12 PM
If you would have just called the flop, whats your plan for the rest of the hand after that turn?

I find this a somewhat tough spot.

And I dont like 3betting the flop BIG because... well, i'm just running bad with aces recently /images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, whats yor line on the flop, and the rest of the hand...

ajmargarine
11-28-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my problem in the hand was that I really didn't have a line nor a plan for the hand.

gunslingner
11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my problem in the hand was that I really didn't have a line nor a plan for the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm asking because I got my ass kicked in similar situations
(blind battle) twice. I led flop then went for the turn c/r.
Both times villian turned the nuts(str8 and 2pair) dunno if my line sucks or I'm just running bad...

Cant figure the best ine in these type of hands... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

orange
11-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Villan seems very loose PF, and as seen in that earlier hand, will defend his blind with ATC.

Sometimes, I like to c/c, lead turn (sng) this flop (for obvious reasons), but you have to ask yourself how much value/pot control you can maintain before going to showdown. In this case, I think we lost control of the hand with all of villan's quirky mini-raising.

I generally bet this flop almost all the time, just thinking of some other lines we could take.

Villan showed a tendency to bet his weaker hands (2 pair on 3344 board). Did c/c turn/river down seem sensible? I don't mind your stop-n-go play on the turn, I just hate the possibilities of creating a big pot with just 1 pair.

I think lead, c/c, c/c could work better. lead, c/c, block might be work too. tough hand.

Hattifnatt
11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Fold to his turn raise.

11-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Bet bigger on the turn, so you can comfortably fold to the raise.

ajmargarine
11-28-2005, 09:17 PM
And the results on this one, were, of course, he had a 6. A6 to be exact and MHING.

fathertime
11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
The following is of no help for this hand but rather is a standard line I have been taking against any decently aggressive bb player:

In a post a while ago TWP mentioned that in the sb he limp reraises his premium hands in a blind battle because bb never buys the reraise. Since I've started doing it, I've had good success.

In the hand it looks like he hit the 6. I try to get to showdown cheap.