PDA

View Full Version : Least likely to make WSOP final table again

11-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Which final table 2005 WSOP Main Event finisher is least likely to make a final table in any WSOP event ever again?

henrikrh
11-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Post Deleted -Dids

TheBlueMonster
11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Post Deleted as the post to which it replied was deleted. -Dids

citanul
11-28-2005, 02:58 PM
this is a close call between dannenmann and kanter.

i didn't see all the coverage, but it seemed that dannenmann played pretty poorly throughout. kanter it seems only played really terribly in a couple of spots, but fossilman seemed to imply once that he was pretty bad throughout. without more info, i'd have to say dannenmann because my coin came up tails.

B Dids
11-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Citanul- based on what we saw, Dannenmann played pretty solid, Kanter was much worse (but almost all we saw of Kanter were just bad hands, so it's hard to say).

I really don't think we have enough information to make this decision and am tempted to lock this thread. What say you, unwashed masses of the WPT forum, should posts like this live or die?

citanul
11-28-2005, 03:06 PM
I think that posts like this, posts calling people coke heads, posts about well, basically all that stupid non poker crap, should be locked pretty quick. but i took a shower today, so i don't count.

citanul
11-28-2005, 03:07 PM
also, cool, yeah, i didn't see many hands with kanter, i saw a more coverage just from dial twisting of dannenmann, and he always seemed to have a lot of money in with the worst of it.

TomCollins
11-28-2005, 03:15 PM
How are people voting for Danneman? The dude made 3rd in the WSOP Champions Event. Steve got game.

Ulysses
11-28-2005, 03:23 PM
The answer to this is pretty much whoever is likely to play the least number of WSOP events in the future.

Tom Bayes
11-28-2005, 04:04 PM
In all seriousness, the mostly likely event is that NONE of these 9 men ever make the main event final table again.

Since the poll is really asking "who do you think, based on a small and extremely biases sample of hands, is the worst player of this group", I voted for Lazar.

11-28-2005, 04:12 PM
What are all the Dannenmann detractors basing their opinions on? Ok, he should have gotten away from his top pair against Hachem's straight, and he spewed chips to Lederer earlier on. Aside from those two incorrect reads, though, how exactly did he play badly? To me, Lazar's play was definitely more questionable (Steve wouldn't have tilted like that), and Kanter's probably was too.

11-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I think all of them played masterfully. In fact, I will never say a harsh word about any player portrayed on television every again. I've learned my lesson as we don't want to offend them. That being said, Kanter played like a donkey and gets my vote.

istewart
11-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Lazar is back to binge drinking so I'll go with him.

Ulysses
11-28-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, the mostly likely event is that NONE of these 9 men ever make the main event final table again.

Since the poll is really asking "who do you think, based on a small and extremely biases sample of hands, is the worst player of this group", I voted for Lazar.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the question asked about "any WSOP event."

11-28-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that posts like this, posts calling people coke heads, posts about well, basically all that stupid non poker crap, should be locked pretty quick. but i took a shower today, so i don't count.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the end of this forum pretty quickly. (The pointless posts, not your shower.)

11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
I saw no point in voting in a meaningless poll (I didn't vote for Bush or Kerry either), but seeing it made me think of Black as the least likely to be heard from again. After all the trauma to his kharma in the WSOP, he is likely to re-retire to years of meditation in a Tibetan temple. By the time he re-emerges, the Main Event will be an online tournament, with tens of thousands of entrants, most qualifying through sats. The Main Event will consist of 6 months of sats follwed by the actual online MTT, which will also take 6 months. The final table will consist entirely of bots from India.

tpir90036
11-28-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What say you, unwashed masses of the WPT forum, should posts like this live or die?

[/ QUOTE ]
live.

it seems that the mods of WPT and OOT like to think that their forums are not dumping grounds for random crap.... but they are, deal with it. there will be more annoying crap and trolls in these threads, duly noted.... but threads like this seem in the spirit of things as long as people are not being called child molesters or something.

just my 2 cents,
tpir

Tom Bayes
11-28-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the question asked about "any WSOP event."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, reading comprehension skills are lacking today. Since we are talking about any WSOP table, it's hard to imagine that the better professionals at the table (particularly Matusow, but also Hachem,Black,Barch) won't make some future FT. The others, it depends upon who decides they are a full-time tournament pro and plays a lot over the next few years and who stays an amateur who plays a limited number (or no) events. Maybe Dannenmann, since he was one of the older players at the table and doesn't strike me as a guy who will think he's a world class player based on one tournament.

shaniac
11-28-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Citanul- based on what we saw, Dannenmann played pretty solid, Kanter was much worse (but almost all we saw of Kanter were just bad hands, so it's hard to say).

I really don't think we have enough information to make this decision and am tempted to lock this thread. What say you, unwashed masses of the WPT forum, should posts like this live or die?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think this thread should be locked, as it is completely harmless and is actually less useless than your average WPT-forum thread. It actually has the potential to generate some interesting discussion.

FWIW, I too think Dannenmann plays good.

11-28-2005, 06:08 PM
nh sir

Army Eye
11-28-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What conceivable reason could there be for locking this thread?

We don't have enough information? So what? That's why it's fun to talk about. It's not like the results of this poll are being sealed and sent via armored car to Harrah's so they can ban the winning player. It's just a poll on a message board. The results don't affect anything.

B Dids
11-28-2005, 06:55 PM
My reason for thinking about locking this:

Questions for which there can be no correct answer, especially about people that we don't know, tend to turn into pretty horrible threads wherein people pretend to know something but really don't. I just wasn't sure it was an exercise that would go anywhere.

I'm very happy to see that this thread turned out pretty good, so like, yay WPT forum and stuff.

11-28-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw no point in voting in a meaningless poll (I didn't vote for Bush or Kerry either), but seeing it made me think of Black as the least likely to be heard from again. After all the trauma to his kharma in the WSOP, he is likely to re-retire to years of meditation in a Tibetan temple. By the time he re-emerges, the Main Event will be an online tournament, with tens of thousands of entrants, most qualifying through sats. The Main Event will consist of 6 months of sats follwed by the actual online MTT, which will also take 6 months. The final table will consist entirely of bots from India.

[/ QUOTE ]
Winner.

utmt40
11-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Without looking at the poll its going to easily be Aaron "Luck Box" Kanter.

bluef0x
11-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Kantar won $40k and a WPT at Bay 101..
Danneman did good in the TOC..

Is Lazar the fat guy? Is he known outside this WSOP? He seemed to make a lot of questionable plays to me...

11-28-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Questions for which there can be no correct answer, especially about people that we don't know, tend to turn into pretty horrible threads wherein people pretend to know something but really don't. I just wasn't sure it was an exercise that would go anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've just summed up a big chunk of OOT, 83.6683920% of Politics,
and I'm still working on the numbers for SMP.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Miles Ahead
11-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Any WSOP event?

I'd be shocked if Matusow didn't make another one.

Hachem has already made another WSOP final table (Las Vegas circuit event).

Danneman made the final table of the TOC.

So, they are all out (or should be).

Even if you don't consider those WSOP events, they have shown the ability to make final tables repeatedly.

Barch has finished in the money in WSOP and WPT events before, and if he plays long enough I imagine he'll make another WSOP final table.

Black has had a lot of good results, including a high finish in a previous WSOP main event. So, he's also someone I would expect to eventually make another final table in some event if he keeps at it.

That leaves Lazar, Kondracki, Bergsdorf and Kanter.

It seemed from the TV coverage that Kanter made some pretty donkish plays, but he has managed to win a couple smallish San Francisco Bay Area events since then. He also has a WPT cash finish. He at least seems to play in a lot of tournaments, which makes it more likely that he'll make a final table in some event some day. Hey, if Doug Lee can keep making final tables, why not Kanter?

So, my money is on Kondracki, Bergsdorf or Lazar. As far as I know, this is the only event anywhere in the world that Bergsdorf has ever cashed in. He's based in Europe, and so it would not surprise me if he didn't make the WSOP regularly (or ever again).

For that reason I guess I'd go with Bergsdorf, if I were forced to choose.

4 High
11-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Lazar, this shouldnt even be in question.

DHamilton97
11-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Anyone else believe that Dannenman has been playing a lot longer than he says ? No way you could play no limit hold em for 3 months and make it through that big of a field, without someone having trapped you earlier in the tournament. It's IMPOSSIBLE.

11-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Robert Varkonyi. Oh wait, he's not on the list. I'll go with Kanter.

B Dids
11-28-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else believe that Dannenman has been playing a lot longer than he says ? No way you could play no limit hold em for 3 months and make it through that big of a field, without someone having trapped you earlier in the tournament. It's IMPOSSIBLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that it's totally NOT impossible. This is a very important fact to understand when thinking about tournament poker.

Also- some people learn quick. I'd wager that Danneman was probably a much better player by the end of the WSOP than he was at the start. Can't really ask for a better crash course in poker.

LearnedfromTV
11-29-2005, 12:32 AM
THis is a stupid poll because several of them are almost certain to never make a FT again, but I voted Kanter b/c he was the only one at the table who i didn't like

11-29-2005, 05:14 AM
kantor- cant tell from 8 hands from each player out of 7 days of poker play
my vote is actually for the lock however

Joseph Busti
11-29-2005, 12:58 PM
[censored], i voted for dannenman and hit submit then realized its definately kanter