PDA

View Full Version : just had chipotle for the first time today..

daryn
11-28-2005, 09:08 AM
the one on the vegas strip, next to the imperial palace.

what can i say? chipotle sucks.

let me explain.. i don't really mean it sucks. it actually tasted good. there was nothing about it (carnitas fajita burrito) i didn't like, and i might even eat another meal there while i'm in vegas.

the thing is, it totally sucks when you compare it to a half-decent taqueria, even the ones i eat at in boston.

let's be honest, the rice situation blows. also i'm pretty sure i got a bad wrap job by the bitch behind the counter. i tried to not let that influence my thoughts though.

anyway, like i said i will probably eat another meal there this trip. it was tasty, but i think most things are, i'm the least picky eater in the world, and it shows to some extent.. but it doesn't even compare to half-decent real mexican.

canis582
11-28-2005, 09:16 AM
"but it doesn't even compare to half-decent real mexican."

Hmmmm, maybe thats because its McDonalds.

I wouldnt say a big mac compares favorably with a burger from a local steak house.

daryn
11-28-2005, 09:17 AM
it's not mcdonald's. i found out the hard way. i tried to order a big mac /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MarkL444
11-28-2005, 09:21 AM
cant you tell us this later? why arent you doing vegasy things?

thatpfunk
11-28-2005, 09:22 AM
the only advantage it has over a real taco shop is that
a) you know the mexicans aren't spitting in your food just for the hell of it and
b) you don't have to worry about the meat being pigeon or dog

its fine for a quick, easy meal that you know isn't going to make you sick

daryn
11-28-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
cant you tell us this later? why arent you doing vegasy things?

[/ QUOTE ]

i just got in, hitting up a little interslice before bed.

stabn
11-28-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be so sure on that. The steak isn't exactly grade a beef.

daryn
11-28-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a) you know the mexicans aren't spitting in your food just for the hell of it and

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it...

regarding point a, why would they be any less/more likely to spit in your food for the fun of it?

i don't buy b either

11-28-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
racist

canis582
11-28-2005, 09:56 AM
http://www.licenseenews.com/news/news317.html

McDonald's, of Oak Brook, Ill., hasn't spelled out its precise ownership
in Chipotle, but it is estimated to be 90%. Chipotle, founded by
restaurateur Steve Ells, has quickly become the nation's fastest-growing
company in the so-called Mexican fast-casual segment of the restaurant
industry.

11-28-2005, 10:01 AM
We dont have chipolte where I live, how does it compare to a Qdoba, or a Taco bell? What items could be found on both menus?

thatpfunk
11-28-2005, 10:05 AM
a) at chipotle you see your food the entire time. that makes it pretty close to impossible, unless you happen to be blind, for them to spit in your food.

b) the meat at many taco shops in san diego is very, very sketchy compared to what you find in a chipotle. believe whatever you want, however.

thatpfunk
11-28-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
racist

[/ QUOTE ]
um, ok?

daryn
11-28-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.licenseenews.com/news/news317.html

McDonald's, of Oak Brook, Ill., hasn't spelled out its precise ownership
in Chipotle, but it is estimated to be 90%. Chipotle, founded by
restaurateur Steve Ells, has quickly become the nation's fastest-growing
company in the so-called Mexican fast-casual segment of the restaurant

industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares who owns what, that says almost nothing about the food itself.

what if mcdonalds corp. all of a sudden purchased one of those hippie chains like whole foods? do you think they would start selling greasy burgers and fries there?

daryn
11-28-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a) at chipotle you see your food the entire time. that makes it pretty close to impossible, unless you happen to be blind, for them to spit in your food.

b) the meat at many taco shops in san diego is very, very sketchy compared to what you find in a chipotle. believe whatever you want, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i was just comparing it to taquerias i've been to where it's the same kind of style. you go up and there's all the food in front of you, assembly line style

thatpfunk
11-28-2005, 10:13 AM
well youll have to swing by santanas next time you find yourself in southern california. it can be a gamble, but pretty damn good.

canis582
11-28-2005, 10:16 AM
what if mcdonalds corp. all of a sudden purchased one of those hippie chains like whole foods? do you think they would start selling greasy burgers and fries there?

They wouldnt buy whole foods and if they did, yes they would.

daryn
11-28-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

They wouldnt buy whole foods and if they did, yes they would.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are stupid. please stay out of my threads. thank you.

Hornacek
11-28-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

the thing is, it totally sucks when you compare it to a half-decent taqueria, even the ones i eat at in boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

holla atcha anna's and boca grande.

IndieMatty
11-28-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well youll have to swing by santanas next time you find yourself in southern california. it can be a gamble, but pretty damn good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ramones!!!

daryn
11-28-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holla atcha anna's and boca grande.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooh... you said anna's and i was like YES! then you said boca grande /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hornacek
11-28-2005, 10:45 AM
??? they're the same family that owns them...

boca has bigger portions, and just as good imo. I'm referring to the one on Beacon... the one next to Cambridgeside kinda sucks.

And Felipe's in Harvard Sq is ok i guess.

offTopic
11-28-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why has darynisright not posted in this thread yet?

11-28-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i don't really mean it sucks. it actually tasted good.

[/ QUOTE ]

you pinhead. Comparing Chipotle to real Mexican food is like comparing the US dollar to the Peso. Sure, both are money - but they're totally different. If it tastes good - and fits your budget - what's there to complain about? If you want good Mexican food - go to a Mexican joint - if you want a quick and fast burrito (a very casual relationship to Mexican food at most) - go to Chipotle.

Slow Play Ray
11-28-2005, 02:04 PM
how does it compare to anna's?

mmm...i love anna's...

*Edit* Nevermind I read on and realized you were probably referring to Anna's. Man I could go for a Super Steak right now. I wish I had discovered that place years ago, instead of 2 months ago. Where are there more, I've only been to the one in Brookline on Harvard.

astroglide
11-28-2005, 02:28 PM
here we [censored] go again with the mdconald's crap (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=exchange&Number=22474 05 ):

"Quote:
Since it's owned by McDonald's

i'm not a chipotle fan/apologist, but this line of reasoning is retarded. if mcdonald's bought apple, would ipods suddenly make us gain weight?

http://www.fastcompany.com/fast50_04/winners/ells.html

Chipotle structured the agreement so that McDonald's would essentially become the 'banker' without changing recipes, ingredients or culture"

jar
11-28-2005, 02:52 PM
How does Chipotle compare to Moe's southwest grill?

haakee
11-28-2005, 02:56 PM
I agree with everything you say here. The food is fine, but good taqueria stuff is much better.

daryn
11-28-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

mmm...i love anna's...

*Edit* Nevermind I read on and realized you were probably referring to Anna's. Man I could go for a Super Steak right now. I wish I had discovered that place years ago, instead of 2 months ago. Where are there more, I've only been to the one in Brookline on Harvard.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the first one i went to also, but there's also beacon street, porter square, and davis square. there might be 2 on beacon st. actually.

i am surprised to hear boca grande is owned by the same people, and almost don't believe it due to the difference in quality. i'll look into that further

daryn
11-28-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
here we [censored] go again with the mdconald's crap (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=exchange&Number=22474 05 ):

"Quote:
Since it's owned by McDonald's

i'm not a chipotle fan/apologist, but this line of reasoning is retarded. if mcdonald's bought apple, would ipods suddenly make us gain weight?

http://www.fastcompany.com/fast50_04/winners/ells.html

Chipotle structured the agreement so that McDonald's would essentially become the 'banker' without changing recipes, ingredients or culture"

[/ QUOTE ]

nice, that's the kind of analogy i was looking for earlier in this thread

daryn
11-28-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i don't really mean it sucks. it actually tasted good.

[/ QUOTE ]

you pinhead. Comparing Chipotle to real Mexican food is like comparing the US dollar to the Peso. Sure, both are money - but they're totally different. If it tastes good - and fits your budget - what's there to complain about? If you want good Mexican food - go to a Mexican joint - if you want a quick and fast burrito (a very casual relationship to Mexican food at most) - go to Chipotle.

[/ QUOTE ]

note that in my original post, i did say it was tasty. don't give me the "if you want a quick and fast burrito" argument though. most very good taquerias have you in and out just like chipotle. i'm not comparing it to a fancy sit down mexican restaurant or anything.

tdarko
11-28-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i am not saying chipotle is using sketchy meat...but the meat is pre-made and put out in a line in front of you. who is to say what grade the meat is that they are cooking? are you some kind of expert that you can stand in a line and from 20 yards away look over the counter and through all that crap back there and tell what cut of meat that mexican is chopping up? give me a break, you have absolutely zero clue what cut or grade of meat that mcdonalds chain is cooking up. the fact that you can "see" it is just comforting for you is all.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i have eaten at sketchy places in actual mexico and all over texas that have used all kinds of animals in their meat. it was frickin' great food too. i think you would be surprised at the crap you have put in your body unknowingly but your cookie cutter life as conditioned your brain to tell what is good for you and bad for you and in reality you have no idea.

daryn
11-28-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i am not saying chipotle is using sketchy meat...but the meat is pre-made and put out in a line in front of you. who is to say what grade the meat is that they are cooking? are you some kind of expert that you can stand in a line and from 20 yards away look over the counter and through all that crap back there and tell what cut of meat that mexican is chopping up? give me a break, you have absolutely zero clue what cut or grade of meat that mcdonalds chain is cooking up. the fact that you can "see" it is just comforting for you is all.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i have eaten at sketchy places in actual mexico and all over texas that have used all kinds of animals in their meat. it was frickin' great food too. i think you would be surprised at the crap you have put in your body unknowingly but your cookie cutter life as conditioned your brain to tell what is good for you and bad for you and in reality you have no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. at the taqueria i go to at home they have this big chunk of carnitas that they cut from and chop up right in front of you.

Slow Play Ray
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

mmm...i love anna's...

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the first one i went to also, but there's also beacon street, porter square, and davis square. there might be 2 on beacon st. actually.

i am surprised to hear boca grande is owned by the same people, and almost don't believe it due to the difference in quality. i'll look into that further

[/ QUOTE ]

are they all the same?

clipset
11-28-2005, 04:02 PM
The steak burrito is the best thing at chipotle if you are getting anything else you are wasting your time

daryn
11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

mmm...i love anna's...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are they all the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, basically identical. some of the crews are interchangable though. at one point if you wanted the best burrito you went to harvard, but if you wanted a quesadilla you went porter square. only very small differences though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MonkeeMan
11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you wanted the best burrito you went to harvard

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of context that is /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luzion
11-28-2005, 07:10 PM
I have to agree with daryn with his review. I tried Chipotle for the first time about 2 months ago. I actually went out of my way to go to the Chipotle location in San Francisco on Montgomery street and got a steak burrito with their hot sauce/salsa. I regretted it as soon as I saw that they used white rice. I also got a load of really bad/cheap steak in my burrito. I had to spit out 4-5 pieces because they were so rubbery.

Anyway, it isnt that bad but Id have to give it a poor grade if I compared it to any decent burrito joint or mom & pop taqueria that Ive gone to in san jose. Im guessing that everyone that hyped it up lives in a location where there are zero burrito joints and have never eaten Mexican food.

But Im real curious why the hell do they just use plain white rice in their burritos? Even taco bell has some form of imitation spanish rice in their food.

Brainwalter
11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipotle burritos are a little bigger, a little less greasy, use white rice instead of spanish, and seem to be wrapped more loosely. They don't give you the chips like moe's, but you can buy a big bag of chips and salsa for like $2 extra.

I like both. I switch it up depending on what I feel like.

gmrankin
11-28-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipotle burritos are a little bigger, a little less greasy, use white rice instead of spanish, and seem to be wrapped more loosely. They don't give you the chips like moe's, but you can buy a big bag of chips and salsa for like $2 extra.

I like both. I switch it up depending on what I feel like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been doing the MOES thing for about a month. Probably 3-4 times a week. IMO Moe's is much better than Chipotle due to all the extras that you can throw in there. and the employees seem to be nicer. The one thing i hate about Chipotle is how you get all your meat on one side and all your rice on the other. When i ask them to mix it up i always get the "I don't get paid enough to mix up your [censored] white dude." Moe's or Baja Fresh. no more Chipotle for me...

thatpfunk
11-28-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
jeeez, i feel like my whole post has been completely misconstrued. i eat at crappy taco shops like santanas, robertos, filibertos, don bravos, etc at least 3 times a week. i love them, i love their food. i never said they weren't good.
the only advantages to choosing chipotle over one of these places are (and i honestly dont even see how this can disputed if you are eating at the type of places that i consider normal mexican) that at chipotle you don't have to worry about someone spitting in your food. this is a fact, you see your food as its being made. at 9 out of 10 traditional shops you order at a widow or front counter. your food is made in the back. these guys deal with a lot of drunk high school and college kids on a regular basis that are [censored] brats and they get pissed. to think they don't spit in kids food occasionally is naive. its just reality that sometimes there is the chance of this happening.

as far as the meat goes, if you don't believe the meat at chipotle is generally of better quality than what you find at these places then youre either crazy or stupid. now, this isn't to say the meat tastes better because this isn't the case. however, chipotle meat has never been too bad on the way out the next day. if you haven't had some SERIOUS battles with traditional mexican the next day (going out either way) then once again you are not eating at the same type of places that i am.

now, does this mean that chipotle is better? no, obviously not. as i said in my first post it is easy and low risk so i go there occasionally. when im not feeling in tip-top shape the last thing i want to do the next day is deal with extreme heartburn and a massive case of the shits.

make sense?

daryn
11-28-2005, 09:15 PM
ok, i went again today. another problem is the size of the burritos. they are too massive.. it's almost a joke how big they are. it's like eating a football. i thought i got a bad wrap job the first day but today it was the same thing. awkward and falling apart, how bad.

adios, chipotle.

Ulysses
11-28-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, i went again today. another problem is the size of the burritos. they are too massive.. it's almost a joke how big they are. it's like eating a football. i thought i got a bad wrap job the first day but today it was the same thing. awkward and falling apart, how bad.

adios, chipotle.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa, no holla back for chipotle! holla!

thatpfunk
11-28-2005, 09:35 PM
leaving the foil on and unwrapping as you eat makes them more manageable, although somewhat retarded.

daryn
11-28-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
leaving the foil on and unwrapping as you eat makes them more manageable, although somewhat retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

what? how is it retarded? as far as i'm concerned leaving the foil on and unwrapping as you go is STANDARD. that [censored] still fell apart.. i mean i had to unwrap a few inches so i don't eat foil. also, when i got down to the stub it was in terrible shape.

PhatTBoll
11-28-2005, 09:54 PM
You forgot to mention the complete dearth of toppings.

Publos Nemesis
11-28-2005, 09:57 PM
daryn, i completley agree. in downtown sf we have both a chipotle and several more authentic burrito shops. we never go to chipotle b/c it does not compare to most places. however, in more surburban places like northern va (where i am from) there are fewer such authentic choices, so chipotle is the standard choice.

wonderwes
11-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Chipotle is decent. If you ever get to visit Texas, this place is far superior.

http://www.tiger-marmalade.com/~yaya/photos/texas_trip_2001_4.jpg

Black Aces 518
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Claunchy
11-30-2005, 03:43 PM
wes and Aces,

I live in Texas, and I wholeheartedly disagree. While the variety of tortillas (especially cayenne) at Freebirds is refreshing, the overall quality of the meat combined with the absence of carnitas and barbacoa make Freebirds vastly inferior to Chipotle IMO.

Claunchy

tdarko
11-30-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in Texas, and I wholeheartedly disagree. While the variety of tortillas (especially cayenne) at Freebirds is refreshing, the overall quality of the meat combined with the absence of carnitas and barbacoa make Freebirds vastly inferior to Chipotle IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
thank you claunchy, seriously thank you. i have now met a texan, no, i now know of someone that has eaten at both freebirds and chipotle and prefers chipotle. thought that would never happen.

FREEBIRDS IS THE SH*T!!!!!! i am going now, mmmmmmmmmmmm!

lighterjobs
11-30-2005, 03:48 PM
atomic burrito
http://bestoftulsa.com/tulsamenus/atomicburrito.jpg

way better than chipotle.

clipset
11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This place is complete crap please if you ever come to austin avoid this place. Also complaining that your getting too much food /images/graemlins/confused.gif That is a first.

tdarko
11-30-2005, 04:33 PM
college station i think is the original and they have one in downtown dallas too. it's weird but i think the one in CS is better than the one in dallas, i have never eaten at the one in austin.

asofel
11-30-2005, 04:52 PM
http://www.planet99.com/pix/13279_1.jpg

Black Aces 518
11-30-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wes and Aces,

Claunchy

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like the Carnitas, and if 'Birds had it, it would be a complete KO. But the Cayenne tortilla and Bad Ass BBQ sauce, properly mixed ingredients, and lots o'cheese without looking at me like I just farted are the decisive factors IMO.

MonkeeMan
11-30-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wes and Aces,

Claunchy

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like the Carnitas, and if 'Birds had it, it would be a complete KO. But the Cayenne tortilla and Bad Ass BBQ sauce, properly mixed ingredients, and lots o'cheese without looking at me like I just farted are the decisive factors IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freebird also addresses the complaint of burrito size by offering a smaller or humongous one. I do think the chicken is a little better at Chipotle but overall the Freebird wins.

And lets not forget the fact that Freebird's hires nothing but freaks.

daryn
11-30-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.planet99.com/pix/13279_1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

yes!

did you go to school in boston or something?

tdarko
11-30-2005, 05:53 PM
i have never heard anything bad about that place, next time i am in that area i am definately going to have to check that place out. any recommendations?

asofel
11-30-2005, 05:55 PM
daryn,

i went to andover back in the day, and have lots of friends in the boston area. an ex took me there once when i went back for a visit and it definitely is a place one remembers...

asofel
11-30-2005, 05:57 PM
tdarko,

two at the same time man, two at the same time.

edit: ok...........so what the [censored] is wrong with quick reply, this is really starting to piss me off....originally i thought it was related to opening a thread and trying to post a reply, but it failing when someone replies to it while your page has completed loading.....but that doesn't seem to be it......what gives!?

daryn
11-30-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have never heard anything bad about that place, next time i am in that area i am definately going to have to check that place out. any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh boy.. the carnitas is just CRAZY DELICIOUS. i used to get steak all the time but then tried carnitas and never went back. the other thing i like about this place is it's kind of soup-nazi style ordering. i think they get a little pissed at you if you don't know what you're doing. anyway..

i usually order a super carnitas, black beans, cheese (comes on the tortilla already), salsa, lettuce, hot sauce, jalepenos, guacamole, and possibly a slight touch of sour cream. some of these items are optional of course.

or you could go the quesadilla route. a quesadilla at anna's isn't like the traditional "mexican pizza" style quesadilla. it's almost like a burrito, but the tortilla is grilled with more cheese, and everything inside is all melty. mmmm... so you could go with a carnitas qusadilla, guacemole and sour cream. the possibilities are endless.

wow i am craving anna's now but i am stuck in vegas! arhghagagaghdagh

wayabvpar
11-30-2005, 06:10 PM
This place is the [censored] (http://www.casads.com/)

The one in Bellevue is like 2 blocks from Chipotle, and right next door to Baja Fresh or some such place. Stabn, have you been there yet???

jhall23
11-30-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I only went to Anna's once or twice (definetly once sober) and I thought it was good but not great.

I think Picante (Davis and Central) is great. How do they compare to you guy's? Maybe I need to give Anna's another chance.

daryn
11-30-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I only went to Anna's once or twice (definetly once sober) and I thought it was good but not great.

I think Picante (Davis and Central) is great. How do they compare to you guy's? Maybe I need to give Anna's another chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have heard picante is "just as good if not better" than anna's from a friend of a friend. i have always been skeptical but still i meant to try it. i will definitely try it out when i get back and then find this thread and post what's up.

bobbyi
11-30-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's how I felt. It's good, but I never saw why people made such a big fuss about it. I've eaten at the Porter Boca (on Mass Ave) many times and Anas only once because even though the latter is better, it didn't seem worth walking the extra five blocks or so given that Boca was on my walk home.