PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee's Best commercial

JJNJustin
11-28-2005, 07:31 AM
I feel that the current wave of Milwaukee's best commercials are overtly homophobic. The motto "Men should act like men," seems to suggest that there is a certain appropriate code of behavior for men to follow, and that anyone who deviates from that code deserves to have a large heavy object dropped on them suddenly as to cause immediate death, without due process or presumed innocense.

Also, the activities which are considered unmanly include finding interest in a stray dog over examining a car engine, removing excess grease from a pizza in the interest of health, telephoning a spouse in order to ease her worrys, and showing up at a party bearing a home-made cake in the interest of being generous. None of these behaviors do I find unmanly. In fact, many of them are quite admirable and responsible.

I find this advertising to be ignorant and stereotypical. I do not feel that responsible behavior or non-stereotypical macho behavior should be a cause for injury or outcast. I feel this advertising may encourage violence and outcasting of others, which is an inappropriate message for any commercial.

All this being said, Milwaukee's best is probably the worst beer on the planet, and it is no wonder their advertising follows suit.

-J

craig r
11-28-2005, 07:51 AM
If "real men" drink Milwaukee's Best, then I am going to be coming out very soon. And I don't mean, telling a few of my friends. I mean "It's Raining Men" coming out. Because, that beer is disgusting and by their logic, me not liking it does not make me a "real man".

craig

siccjay
11-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Stop caring about nothing. The commercials are funny, you nit.

BeerMoney
11-28-2005, 08:31 AM
You sound like a lot of fun.

daryn
11-28-2005, 08:50 AM
how is there anything homophobic about the commercials?

edit: quick reply is stupid, i wasn't talking to beermoney

B Dids
11-28-2005, 09:44 AM
I dislike these commercials too, not because of homophobia, just because they're part of this trend that tends to support a somewhat anti-intellectual, overly macho view of the avg male. Same with the stupid Howie Long truck adds and everything else. It's not homophobia, it's just a celebration of being meatheaded that I can't totally get behind.

I have no idea how JJJJJJJustin isn't banned.

daryn
11-28-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dislike these commercials too, not because of homophobia, just because they're part of this trend that tends to support a somewhat anti-intellectual, overly macho view of the avg male. Same with the stupid Howie Long truck adds and everything else. It's not homophobia, it's just a celebration of being meatheaded that I can't totally get behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. we are 100% in agreement

11-28-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and showing up at a party bearing a home-made cake in the interest of being generous.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm they are wearing matching shirts

Eurotrash
11-28-2005, 09:52 AM
I could be missing a certain "i knew you knew i knew" degree of sarcasm here, but people are taking this too seriously. this thread seems like it's an obvious joke reflecting the recent string of "is this phrase racist?" threads we've had.

if not, then, well.. the OP is gay.

11-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Homophobic, woah chief, there is no way a gay man would be caught dead wearing the same shirt as his partner. Personally, the commercials are funny, and Im sick of the whole effiminate is hot trend.

EDIT- I JUST had to put this in, I really cant believe how big of a douche bag the OP is, it is mind blowing that some people think this nit-like. http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/images/ParasiteImages/G-L/HeadLice/nit_draw.jpg

webmonarch
11-28-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not taking a stance on the issue in this thread except for the folllowing: I do not understand why certain people on this site think that a well written post with reasonable assertations should lead to the OP's banning simply because people don't agree with what the OP says.

vexvelour
11-28-2005, 11:02 AM
The funny part is that the commercials are for what me and my friends affectionately called "BIST"- aka the beast light. This is by far the wimpiest beer in existance if you don't count Michelob Ultra (shudder).

If you're going to drink the beast, make sure it's the beast and not the bist.

B Dids
11-28-2005, 11:04 AM
I suggest that he should be banned based on the body of his work, most of which strikes me as that type of trolling that exists only to gather attention and annoy people, but refrains from using any of the naughty words.

Guyon
11-28-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop caring about nothing. The commercials are funny, you nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny aspects of these commercials come from flannel-clad men getting smashed by comically huge Milwalkee's Beast cans travelling at terminal velocities.

Any ape with discerning taste buds can determine the metallic, toiletwater nature of the Beast. No amount of marketing creativity can make their beer become any more pallatable.

vexvelour
11-28-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any ape with discerning taste buds can determine the metallic, toiletwater nature of the Beast.

[/ QUOTE ]

rotf. couldn't have said it better myself.

BradleyT
11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
I always wonder why they don't use Miller Lite as the sponsering beer instead of the beast. Last time I had the beast was 15 years ago in HS. Used to go on sale three 12 packs for $7.

vexvelour
11-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I drank a lot of the beast before I turned 21- 5 bucks got you a 12'er. I then learned of Amstel Light and Newcastle, so I'm not real sure what it goes for now that they have fancy commercials and stuff.

The first one is always hell, but then you're smooth sailing on your way to angry drunkenness.

11-28-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...removing excess grease from a pizza in the interest of health...

[/ QUOTE ]

If disregard for health is a sign of being manly, why are they drinking LIGHT beer? And another thing, I thought real guys didn't drink light beer. CRAPPY light beer at that. Well said.

ScottieK

jaydub
11-28-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always wonder why they don't use Miller Lite as the sponsering beer instead of the beast. Last time I had the beast was 15 years ago in HS. Used to go on sale three 12 packs for $7.

[/ QUOTE ]

They believe the viewers are either hs / college kids or broke degenerates. They might be right.

DrSavage
11-28-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no reason to ban him, a giant can of beer is going to fall on his head any moment now.

astroglide
11-28-2005, 01:42 PM
he is banned (again)

MonkeeMan
11-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Some of these commercials are pretty damn funny. It's not morally wrong to enjoy the commercials of products you don't like. And they're not homophobic, not that there's anything wrong with that.