PDA

View Full Version : Fix my router, win $5!

bobman0330
11-28-2005, 02:51 AM
The first to solve this problem will receive $5 via pokerstars transfer. I have a Hawking wireless router, connected to a cable modem. I have a Tivo and a Dell Latitude using the wireless signal. It was working fine until a week ago, when I went on vacation for a week and returned to find it not working (windows shows a connection, but no internet). I checked the cable connection, it works when hooked up by Ethernet (directly. No signal when connected by ethernet through router). I get excellent signal on both devices. I can access the firmware through my laptop, wirelessly or wiredly, but load times are very very high. I reset the router, no change. Anyone have any ideas? (I'm working on their tech support, but Hawking CS is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!) BTW, if I get Hawking to fix it before a correct reply is made here, no one wins (except me).

swiftrhett
11-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Buy a WRT54GS. Put Sveasoft firmware on it. Use QoS to make sure nothing kills your poker bandwidth again. (I know this is not a $5 worthy post)

smoore
11-28-2005, 11:18 AM
verify that you do indeed have an internet connection either with another machine or by calling your ISP and having them ping the router.

whoops, morning coffee... I just reread it.

Leave the router off for awhile?

Reset it again?

Return it.

Percula
11-28-2005, 12:43 PM
From your PC (assuming modern Windows OS) in a command prompt window issue... ipconfig /all and post the results. Also while still in the command prompt window do a ping 4.2.2.2 and post the results.

ninjaunderwear
11-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Try unplugging the router's power and then power cycling the cable modem for 5 minutes or however long you can remain patient. After the cable modem's lights settle you can repower the router and let the good times roll.

CrazyN8
11-28-2005, 04:29 PM
I had a problem with a Netgear router that was sorta like this ....it was a bad power supply (something that it appears almost everyone with that model was having an issue with) - sent too much juice to the router.

bobman0330
11-28-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From your PC (assuming modern Windows OS) in a command prompt window issue... ipconfig /all and post the results. Also while still in the command prompt window do a ping 4.2.2.2 and post the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran ipconfig and got these results:

IP= 192.168.1.1
Subnet mak = 255.255.255.0
Default gateway = 192.168.1.254

the ping timed out.

Meech
11-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I assume you tried power cycling everything in the correct order?

Computer Off -> Router Off -> Cable Modem Off
Cable Modem On -> Router On -> Computer On

(Pause between power ons to allow hardware to initialize)

Percula
11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Based on everytihng you have said and the results from the ipconfig and ping, your router is blocking/dropping your traffic in some way.

It could be something to do with the NAT configuration or maybe something with the WiFi configuration.

Either way, there should be some way to reset the router to factory defaults (assuming that is not what you have already done). If the router fails to work after resetting to factory defaults on ethernet, it is most likely hosed or beyond casual trouble shooting.

If you want, PM me your information and I can take a look at the router config and see if I can see anything a miss or not.

bobman0330
11-28-2005, 06:25 PM
That's what the Hawking guy just told me. Fortunately it's still under warranty. One last tantalizing detail. When I'm connected to my router, under the network connections screen (WinXP Pro) There's a section labeled "Internet Gateway" above the one labeled "LAN or High-Speed Internet." There's one item in this section: "Internet Connection." Under its titled, it says it's "Disabled." I right-clicked and selected "Enable," which brought up a dialog box titled "Internet connection" that said "Connecting..." then "Connection failed!" The same item does not appear when I'm connected to my neighbor's wireless, which works fine.

Percula
11-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I hope you did not run at worthless "internet connection wizard" thing... it tends to hose up network connections.

Look and see if any of your connections are "bridged". If they are, break the bridge.

If you have another PC there, hook it up and test. But frankly if you hookup to another WiFi network and everything is fine, more times than not, it is your router.