PDA

View Full Version : Played Too Weakly?

tj00
07-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Party $2/$4 Ten Handed

A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif in SB

EP Calls, MP Calls, LMP Raises, CO Calls, Button Calls, I call, BB Folds, EP Calls

First Question who re-raises here with AQ suited?

7 to the flop for 2 SB

Flop A /forums/images/icons/club.gif , K /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I Bet, EP Folds, MP Raises, LMP Re-Raises, CO Calls, Button Folds, I Fold, MP Calls

Second Question is the fold too weak who calls/raises?

Turn 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

MP Bets, LMP Raises, CO Calls, MP Calls

River 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

MP Bets, LMP Raises, CO Folds (Flush Draw?), MP Calls

MP Has A9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif For Turned 2 Pair
LMP Has ATo

So I folded the best hand on the flop. If I had 3 bet pre-flop and bet the flop I probally would not have faced 2 bets back to me. All advice welcomed.

Ginogino
07-04-2003, 08:49 AM
tj:
Preflop I believe that you do want to re-raise AQs against this many limpers from SB. Part of your reason for raising is that the pot is giving you proper odds on your money. Part of your reason is to build the pot so losing hands will call you down if you hit your flush (or better).

The answer to your second question is very player-specific. There are players (weak tight; ABC players, and others) against whom I'd fold without regret. There are other players whom I'd confidenly re-raise. And others against whom I'd raise without quite so much confidence.

FWIW, I think you saved money by your actual betting here -- I don't think extra aggression by you would have gotten most opponents (who play this way) to fold.

Gino

SoBeDude
07-04-2003, 10:26 AM
I think you played classic 'weak-tight' here.

Its a huge mistake not to re-raise before the flop with AQs. And its a big mistake not to re-raise the flop.

If LMP's hand was really huge he'd wait until the turn to raise. So he's protecting his ace-marginal kicker and hoping people with a better hand (you) will fold on the flop.

If you had re-raised preflop and on the flop, HE might have folded instead of you.

-Scott

bernie
07-04-2003, 02:42 PM
was this the 1st hand you noticed that theyd play like this with lesser hands? if not, pay better attention. otherwise, it can be a tough call on the flop

b

bernie
07-04-2003, 02:51 PM
"Its a huge mistake not to re-raise before the flop with AQs. And its a big mistake not to re-raise the flop."

the reraise preflop is optional. it's not a huge mistake not to do it. especially if the original raiser has tight raising standards.

the LMPs hand could easily be AK. players usually wait for the turn with a set, but not 2 pair. he raised preflop, and 3 bet the flop. that's alot of power shown so far.

since we're looking at hindsight, there is now way in hell players playing their aces this strong are going to fold for a flop raise. it would be suprising. though if the hero were on the button i could see going for the raise a little more

b

Ed Miller
07-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Its a huge mistake not to re-raise before the flop with AQs.

I strongly disagree with this comment. When you have AQs and it is raised in front of you, you have to worry about domination among other things. Especially when I am out of position like this, I will often just call instead of 3-betting.

If you always 3-bet with AQs every time it is raised in front of you, you are making a huge mistake.

I do think that our hero made the mistake of underrepresenting his hand preflop and then not compensating for it after the flop. My approach to this hand would have been to attempt a checkraise on the LMP raiser.

tj00
07-04-2003, 06:37 PM
If I had gone for the checkraise I would still most likely have been facing two bets back to me. Would you checkraise 3 bet?

Ed Miller
07-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Would you checkraise 3 bet?

Against most opponents, yes.

JTG51
07-04-2003, 09:32 PM
If LMP's hand was really huge he'd wait until the turn to raise.

That's a very dangerous thing to assume. If I was in LMPs shoes with AA, KK, or AK, I'd 3-bet the flop almost every time. In fact, I can't think of a single hand that I'd raise preflop then just flat call 2 cold on that flop with.

tj00
07-04-2003, 09:42 PM
I fear that my game is a little weak-tight. I built my online bankroll playing .5/1 and 1/2 and playing a little weak tight was to me the best approach for these games. I now have the bankroll for 2/4 and almost enough for 3/6. I think the weak-tightish aspects of my game will be a liability at these limits. The point about paying more attention is also well taken. I tend to do other things while playing, e.g. reading/posting in 2+2 fourms.

lil'
07-04-2003, 10:01 PM
...and playing a little weak tight was to me the best approach for these games
Why would you want to play weakly at all, no matter what the limit? How about if you play "tight" instead of "weak-tight." /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

tj00
07-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Maybe weak-tight is not exactly what I was trying to convey. I think the lowest limits require a less aggressive approach. Things like not bluffing or semi-bluffing. Not pressing with just overcards. These thoughts could be completely wrong so feel free to contradict.