PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Night Atrociousness

Jack of Arcades
11-28-2005, 12:43 AM
On the Sunday Night Broadcast of Saints/Jets, Joe Theismann said Curtis Martin should be re-signed and he "doesn't care how much money it takes." Then he says Curtis Martin is their "best offensive player."

Umm.. what? Have you been watching the same league I have? Curtis Martin is running the ball for what, 3.5 ypc this season? Less? Curtis Martin probably shouldn't have a starting job next season, let alone be re-signed!

This game is absolutely disgusting though. Sloppy play, penalties, fumbles, general shots in feet. This is why it's so stupid to schedule all these SNF and MNF broadcasts before the season because you end up with games like this. Check out these great, marquee matchups on MNF:

Oakland at New England
Green Bay at Carolina
Green Bay at Minnesota
St. Louis at Indianapolis
New Orleans at Atlanta
Green Bay at Baltimore
New England at the Jets

And Sunday Night?

San Francisco vs. Arizona (Mexico City)
Houston at Seattle
Buffalo at New England
Cleveland at Pittsburgh
Kansas City at Houston
New Orleans at New York
Detroit at Green Bay
Denver at Buffalo
Minnesota at Baltimore

Come on!

Back at the game, the Jets had a pretty good drive going and were in FG range. Then a stuffed run and aborted snap… Mike Nugent misses a 53-yard fig just short. What the hell is that? The Jets and the Saints did everything to lose this game with stupid penalties at inopportune moments. Way to go, Jets, you're the best at shooting yourself in the foot. You win, New York! You're worse than the Saints.

PS: The ebst player this game? By far Aaron Brooks. Stuff it, Jason Whitlock.

B00T
11-28-2005, 12:47 AM
the only thing keeping us Jets fans happy is the hopes of losing out and landing Reggie Bush.

brettbrettr
11-28-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't necessarily agree with your comments but I will never defend a Theisman point. That guy needs to be shot.

I hope we draft Reggie Bush.

That is all.

Brett

ps--FWIW, Curits is not even a FA. I have no idea what Joe was talking about.

Pudge714
11-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Part of the TV contract says that every team needs to play in primetime.

Also how would Fox and CBS feel if all the marquee games got moved to primetime.

TheRover
11-28-2005, 01:00 AM
On a somewhat related note (as in ESPN sucks, here's another reason why) I just listened to Stuart Scott read poetry for over 5 minutes on Sportscenter. I'm speechless.

Jack of Arcades
11-28-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also how would Fox and CBS feel if all the marquee games got moved to primetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, hell, I'm not saying they have to be marquee games, but avoiding [censored] like this would be pretty gravy. It's what ESPN does for MLB games.

Ulysses
11-28-2005, 01:24 AM
Hey,

What's the deal w/ the touchdown that was overturned on replay? Looked to me like he caught it, took a couple of steps, then hit the ground and the ball came out.

The announcers said something about having to keep possession after hitting the ground.

I thought that as long as you had control and broke the plane, it was a touchdown.

What's the actual rule here?

11-28-2005, 01:28 AM
I think we need to start a thread each week were people just quote dumb things the Sunday Night crew says. I honestly think you could pick three guys of the street who would be better.

TheNoodleMan
11-28-2005, 02:02 AM
As far as the monday night games that you listed, I think the Rams at Colts game was shaping up to be a pretty good one until Bulger got hurt, taking their chances for that game and their season down with him.

VarlosZ
11-28-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we need to start a thread each week were people just quote dumb things the Sunday Night crew says.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before kickoff tonight, Joe Theismann said that Jim Haslett should win Coach of the Year. Buddy, the Saints are 2-8 (now 3-8). Degree of difficulty doesn't count for much if you don't stick the landing.

VarlosZ
11-28-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the deal w/ the touchdown that was overturned on replay? Looked to me like he caught it, took a couple of steps, then hit the ground and the ball came out.

The announcers said something about having to keep possession after hitting the ground.

I thought that as long as you had control and broke the plane, it was a touchdown.

What's the actual rule here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bit of a judgement call. If you catch it with two feet down while in the act of falling, and drop the ball when the you hit the ground, you're ruled never to have had possession in the first place (otherwise you wouldn't have lost it). OTOH, if you make a football action after catching it and getting both feet down, that's possession.

I guess the question is whether the receiver caught the ball, took two steps, then fell down and dropped it, or whether he caught the ball, happened to touch both feet down while falling, then lost it when he hit the ground.

I think it was a bad call, but it's close enough that I can't be outraged over it.

imported_CaseClosed326
11-28-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only thing keeping us Jets fans happy is the hopes of losing out and landing Reggie Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Texans proved that they are going to do the most to win the Reggie Bowl.

brettbrettr
11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Texans proved that they are going to do the most to win the Reggie Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, it could be close:

The Texans (1-10) have Balt, Tenn, Arizona, Jax and SF.

NYJ (2-9) have NE twice, Oakland, Buff and Miami.

Of course, these two aren't the only players...

CCass
11-28-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. I offer up the Titans schedule as one example.

hoopsie44
11-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Agreed that Curtis Martin is past his prime but do you think the fact that they've used 5 QB's this year and have a non-existent passing game has affected CM's production? In addition the offensive line has basically been a patchwork group for most of the season.

Jack of Arcades
11-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Obviously, but their passing game was horrible last year after Chad got hurt. It's a pretty big drop. OL has something to do with it, but also age and workload.

kenberman
11-28-2005, 02:43 PM
not enough people have commented on the atrociousness of the last minute, as you pointed out.

WTF was with the Jets running a draw play w/ 1 minute left, and no timeouts, only in VERY long field goal range? just terrible. they needed to get at least 10-15 more yards for a comfortable field goal attempt, and a pass attempt - complete or not - would have helped them much more.

then the aborted snap was just terrible. not a mental/coaching mistake, but bad nonetheless.

brettbrettr
11-28-2005, 03:30 PM
The OLine has more to do with it than you think, I think. Its just so hard to evaluate given that the OLine has clearly sucked and the passing game has also sucked.

FWIW, I think the Jets O Line was the biggest factor in the jets recent success over the past 8 years or so.