PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Bond films

splashpot
11-28-2005, 12:16 AM
I've been watching some of the Spike TV Thanksgiving Bondathon. I haven't seen most of the old Bond films so it got me wondering which of them are worth watching. List your top 5 here. I imagine Goldeneye is the only Brosnan film that would be a contender.

istewart
11-28-2005, 12:20 AM
MOONRAKER.

slickpoppa
11-28-2005, 12:25 AM
1. Goldfinger
2. Dr. No
3. From Russia with Love
4. Thunderball
5. Live and Let Die

Blarg
11-28-2005, 12:29 AM
From Russia With Love
Dr. No
Goldfinger
You Only Live Twice
Thunderball

Those are my favorites and my estimate of which ones are probably best, in the right order. For fun factor, I'd place You Only Live Twice a very close second.

None of the Moore movies count in the running at all except for Live and Let Die, which still maintained a little of the familiar Bond tension and actually had a good scene or two. The boat jumping gets a little absurd at the end, though, so it's still a Moore flick, just a better one.

Brosnan is way too wimpy to ever have been a Bond, so I don't even count him.

Dalton had potential, but the "new Bond for the Age of Aids" never quite made it as a concept, so he's out.

splashpot
11-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Hrm...so Goldeneye isn't anywhere near the top? I thought it was pretty good. Certainly in the better half. Or maybe I'm being ignorant.

diebitter
11-28-2005, 02:04 AM
1. OHMSS
2. You Only live twice
3. Live and Let Die
4. From Russia with Love
5. Spy who loved me

Landon_McFly
11-28-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hrm...so Goldeneye isn't anywhere near the top? I thought it was pretty good. Certainly in the better half. Or maybe I'm being ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts as well. Might be biased due to the video game though /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Colonel Kataffy
11-28-2005, 02:40 AM
1. Gold Finger
2. Golden eye
3. From Russia with love
4. Thunderball
5. Dr. No

PoBoy321
11-28-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1. OHMSS

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, sir.

Blarg
11-28-2005, 02:57 AM
I just find Brosnan inappropriate. Sort of like having a chap like David Niven as Bond -- he can pull off sophisticated, but though they are very good of their type, it's not the Bond type.

I like Bond to have a bit of threat to him. The smoothness becomes much more smooth and interesting, and the violence becomes much more violent and interesting, when the two sides of the guy have a strange simultaneous coexistence.

Brosnan is all smoothness, no threat. You never get the feeling that he might leap out of the chair and grab your throat or break your arm. It would probably kill Brosnan if he even tried. I wouldn't trust Brosnan to make his way safely through the dark and protect my country. There's no Navy Seal lurking underneath the tux. He's just pure tux. Sophisticated, sure, but he's just too frail. He doesn't look like a guy who could do lots of stuff I couldn't do; he looks like a guy most people could do a lot of things better than. Action things, the things that make action movies exciting. I can't picture Brosnan ever having a better response to a fight than running like hell.

ilya
11-28-2005, 03:01 AM
1, Goldfinger
2, Octopussy
3, wait, is there even one called Octopussy?

samjjones
11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. OHMSS
2. You Only live twice
3. Live and Let Die
4. From Russia with Love
5. Spy who loved me

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd replace "Live and Let Die" with "Goldfinger". Other than that, this is good.

pokerdirty
11-28-2005, 10:42 AM
this needs to be a swede bracket poll

Lazymeatball
11-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Althought not the top film, my favorite is probably
'Diamonds are Forever'
I like it's campy style and the interesting characters in it. Good sense of humor, nothing ever drags.

my second favorite is probably 'Goldfinger'
followed by 'You only live twice.' I just love any movie with a huge underground army of asians working for crime.

'Goldeneye' is the only mentionable Brosnan movie. I think Pierce does well in the role, but his movies are only good as action films, they don't have the same charm as the original Connery movies.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy the entire Bond collection on DVD nowadays.

kenberman
11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the trouble w/ Goldeneye, and most of the new ones, is that the movies aren't that much different than Mission Impossible, or other spy/action movies. they are ok movies, though.

splashpot
11-28-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would make one but as I haven't seen most of the old films, I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to seed them. I'm in the process of downloading them all now. We'll see if I have the patience to watch them all.

diebitter
11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would make one but as I haven't seen most of the old films, I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to seed them. I'm in the process of downloading them all now. We'll see if I have the patience to watch them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just put them in one big poll, like my Christmas thing. gives a clearer idea of ranking of popularity.

pokerdirty
11-28-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just put them in one big poll, like my Christmas thing. gives a clearer idea of ranking of popularity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone knows limecat makes the movie brackets around here.