PDA

View Full Version : OT: STTF NYC Get together

sofere
11-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Is this thing still going on this Saturday? I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

durron597
11-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Yes, it's going to happen, we are still looking for places to go. Plus citanul and I don't know the city real well. We think we have an idea for a place for dinner... anyone know anything around 72nd street?

pooh74
11-28-2005, 11:52 AM
We should stay away from uptown if at all possible...but if you guys found a place where you want to go that's fine by me.

durron597
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We should stay away from uptown if at all possible...but if you guys found a place where you want to go that's fine by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see you suggesting places, grrrr

pooh74
11-28-2005, 12:03 PM
I dont know squat around 72nd...

durron597
11-28-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know squat around 72nd...

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have to be around there, citanul and I both suck at the city.

Hornacek
11-28-2005, 12:08 PM
If you're looking for good food, check out Park Avenue Cafe. 63rd and Park Avenue; right now they have a promotion til the end of the year called "Pay Your Age". It's a good three-course meal for a minimum of $25 and max of $65. Deal is every day after 8:30 PM.

I went there a few weeks ago with the gf and got a nice scallop appetizer, filet mignon, and some ridiculous dessert for $25... not a bad deal.

Pretty ritzy, not a good beer place though.

Maulik
11-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Churrascaria

316 W 49th St

Brasilian BBQ.

$35 before 3p $50 afterward, they bring you unlimited meat, you tell them when to stop...

citanul
11-28-2005, 12:35 PM
i don't know if everyone wants to be spending 50 bucks on dinner, pre drinks. i'd prefer if this were more accessable, not less accessable. the food doesn't need to be particularly high end. more important is that they have a good space for a dozen or so people to chill out for a few hours.

Maulik
11-28-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't know if everyone wants to be spending 50 bucks on dinner, pre drinks. i'd prefer if this were more accessable, not less accessable. the food doesn't need to be particularly high end. more important is that they have a good space for a dozen or so people to chill out for a few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was skeptical whether this was worth the deniro, but this place is golden. Do yourself a favour and have dinner @ Churrascaria.

pooh74
11-28-2005, 12:56 PM
If its gonna be 12 or so ppl...places for food/drink should be a place like Reservoir on University (11th st?). 5 TVs big tables, never too full during the day, so maybe calling ahead might not even be necessary. Also, Cedar which is close by there. Josie Woods which has a good juke box, TVs, 2 pool tables, and, most importantly Golden Tee which I will pwn anyone at. Reservoir also has pool and GT.

All of the above have decent bar grub and are all cheap.

citanul
11-28-2005, 12:57 PM
i've done dinner at several all you can eat brazillian bbq places, and i like them a lot, and personally, i have no problem paying a pile of money for dinner every once in a while. but i don't want there to be a price barrier that would cause even a single person who wants to attend to say "eh, i'd like to go but i'd prefer not to blow $x on dinner tonight."

c

r2p
11-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry but 72nd street, Saturday nite, cheap and hang out for a few hours is a difficult if not impossible mission. An alternate would be to hit a place like Westside Brewing Co (340 Amsterdam ave & 76th (212) 721-2161 for beer/burger or Dynasty (212-355-1200) on 511 Lex & 48th 2nd floor for some primo Chinese food (there are a lot of private dinning rooms) and then hit a local pub to hang out.

citanul
11-28-2005, 01:01 PM
well, the 72nd street thing was brought on by having found a cool looking restaurant that was inexpensive. there is no tie to that area beyond "we know a good looking-ish place in this area to do the dinner part of the night, is there anything else to do around there?"

adanthar
11-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah, $50 for dinner w/o drinks is a bit much guys. There's even a similar Brazilian place in Brooklyn somewhere that charges maybe half that.

If we're doing that kind of restaurant and the BBQ is out, what about Houlihan's? It's in the mid-60's on the East Side and I really love their food/they have no problems seating 12.

Hornacek
11-28-2005, 01:09 PM
for easy food, TGIF is on 54th and Lex as well...

r2p
11-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Got it then you may want to consider:

Virgils's BBQ on 44th between Broadway and 6th (Good BBQ and a great tequila selection.
Zocalo (Mexican) on 82nd between 3rd and Lex (High end mexican with cold brew and tequila).
There is also a pile of Korean BBQ joints that are easy on the wallet around 36th street between 5th and 6th.

Let me know what you decide as I am trying to get up there for a few drinks.

citanul
11-28-2005, 01:21 PM
thanks for the assist.

durron: i think that the place we were looking at was "dallas jones bbq" no?

there's another location in the village area at 178 W Houston, i can't call right now, phone 212 741 7390.

they are a couple blocks from the comedy cellar, and the area is rife with clubs, pubs, lounges, cafes, whatever. also, for those so inclined there's slutty nyu girls.

lemme know if you're able to give them a call.

c

pokerdirty
11-28-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for those so inclined there's slutty nyu girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been here 3 1/2 years, and have yet to see these slutty nyu girls you speak of.

bones
11-28-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've been here 3 1/2 years, and have yet to see these slutty nyu girls you speak of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sluts dig mods.

citanul
11-28-2005, 01:40 PM
it's the cloak.

burningyen
11-28-2005, 01:50 PM
For a place that's good and cheap and that can handle a big group, I suggest Village Yokocho down on 9th St. & 3rd Ave. Japanese bar food, with some Korean stuff too. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going yet.

There's also Lombardi's for great pizza on Spring and Mott.

pokerdirty
11-28-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's the cloak.

[/ QUOTE ]

i gotta git me one of them.

pokerlaw
11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
some good places were mentioned so far, I would like to add one more, its called Croxley Ales House (Link (http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/38452456/)) and its in the village. burger type menu, can get food for $15 and $5 beers, of which they have a wide selection. I think a place along the lines of this rather than a full out restaurant would be better.

citanul
11-28-2005, 05:04 PM
you get a chance to call the 2nd bbq location i put up? the burger/bar type place posted near the bottom of the thread also seems fine to me, i almost posted it as well. the area is really rife with things approximating or actually being lounges as well, so we could chill/drink at those if we wanted.

durron597
11-28-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you get a chance to call the 2nd bbq location i put up? the burger/bar type place posted near the bottom of the thread also seems fine to me, i almost posted it as well. the area is really rife with things approximating or actually being lounges as well, so we could chill/drink at those if we wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I was waiting for you to make an executive decision, since we have a lot of good ideas now.

citanul
11-28-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I was waiting for you to make an executive decision, since we have a lot of good ideas now.

[/ QUOTE ]

gah.

durron597
11-28-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gah.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am at work you know, I don't spend all day reading this forum.....

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

vinyard
11-28-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am at work you know, I don't spend all day reading this forum.....

[/ QUOTE ] Cit's working, too! Just ask him and he'll tell you all about it

citanul
11-28-2005, 05:20 PM
dude, i am boringly entering data about all transcripted speaches my boss has made in the last 15 years or whatever so that he can have a good clean access to them for his book. this is non thrilling.

c

yabastid
11-29-2005, 01:56 AM
I grew up on the Upper West Side and still live in the city. Try Dallas BBQ on 72nd between Columbus and CPW- used to go there in high school (1990- yikes!) and would get smashed on their fishbowl sized beers. Or Amsterdam Ave has a bunch of good bars in the early 80's. Brother Jimmies on 82nd-ish and Amsterdam is a good option for burgers and beer. I was at Churrascarria (sp?) last weekend and had a blast, although you'll need reservations on a Saturday night fo sho. Park Ave Cafe is cool, but the waiters may treat you like [censored] if they think they're only gonna have a $400 check for 12 people. Houlihans is a good suggestion, and so is any bar on 2nd Ave from 49thstreet up to about 66th. In fact, 66th and first has a great bar/restaurant called Fitzgerald's where they'd love to see you guys. Plus there's a poker room right near by there called the Newer Club (65th and 1st) which you could go and pwn! after a few burgers and beers. Anyway, PM me if you need more suggestions I've spent 30 years in this city and can point you in a good direction.

ilya
11-29-2005, 02:19 AM
I have no useful suggestions I'm afraid, but I will say that I'm happy with whatever.

ChrisW
11-29-2005, 05:07 AM
Around 72nd, definitely go to Dallas BBQ. The quality/price ratio for the ribs and drinks is virtually unparalleled in NYC.

arod15
11-29-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was skeptical whether this was worth the deniro, but this place is golden. Do yourself a favour and have dinner @ Churrascaria.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have 12 people of more at churrasquierria you can get all you can eat dinner dessert and all you can drink wine for 75 a person plus tip. Or for 90 dollars plus tip open bar as well. It is the best...

durron597
11-29-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you have 12 people of more at churrasquierria you can get all you can eat dinner dessert and all you can drink wine for 75 a person plus tip. Or for 90 dollars plus tip open bar as well. It is the best...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i've done dinner at several all you can eat brazillian bbq places, and i like them a lot, and personally, i have no problem paying a pile of money for dinner every once in a while. but i don't want there to be a price barrier that would cause even a single person who wants to attend to say "eh, i'd like to go but i'd prefer not to blow $x on dinner tonight."

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Roman
11-29-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds awesome if they would let 18yos in.

citanul
11-29-2005, 11:54 AM
well, when prompted with "around 72nd" we got a "go to dallas bbq" which is the place around there that durron had independently found.

we also got a "don't go around 72nd," which is totally reasonable.

however, there's another dallas bbq place in the village right in the middle of things, that i posted the phone number for in this thread. it sounds like a good, all ages, place. hopefully durron can find a time to call them today.

c

durron597
11-29-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

however, there's another dallas bbq place in the village right in the middle of things, that i posted the phone number for in this thread. it sounds like a good, all ages, place. hopefully durron can find a time to call them today.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah yeah yeah

pokerdirty
11-29-2005, 01:02 PM
dallas BBQ = meh, or in citanul's case, 'gah'

JS0085
11-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Just a quick heads up on this gathering:

Make sure you don't get too close to pooh for fear that his "daily-use chick-repellant" spray accidently rubs off on you.

By his posts I can tell that this tool couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a fist full of pardons.

citanul
11-29-2005, 05:41 PM
friend of yours pooh?

pooh74
11-29-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
friend of yours pooh?

[/ QUOTE ]

no...ban him.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah, only a friend of mine could have such a vehement hatred torwards me.

wildzer0
11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
I moved out of the city a few weeks ago so I have absolutely nothing to do with the meetup. But I'll throw my 2c. in anyway because I lived right next door to the Dallas BBQ in east village. Food is so-so, but cheap, big and strong drinks. And they don't care if you hang out for hours.

durron597
11-30-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the assist.

durron: i think that the place we were looking at was "dallas jones bbq" no?

there's another location in the village area at 178 W Houston, i can't call right now, phone 212 741 7390.

they are a couple blocks from the comedy cellar, and the area is rife with clubs, pubs, lounges, cafes, whatever. also, for those so inclined there's slutty nyu girls.

lemme know if you're able to give them a call.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just dallas BBQ, that number is wrong lol. I just called, they don't take reservations, I should just call them an hour in advance.

132 second ave at st. marks place

212-777-5574

Voltron87
12-02-2005, 01:42 AM
i want to come to this and say hello. what exactly is on the agenda? someone fill me in.

durron597
12-02-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i want to come to this and say hello. what exactly is on the agenda? someone fill me in.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are finalizing details, citanul and I are city noobs but one of us will post everything in a few hours, check back with us.

Voltron87
12-02-2005, 07:30 PM
update plz

ilya
12-02-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
update plz

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what's happening?