PDA

View Full Version : How do you play a very early big stack?

11-27-2005, 11:07 PM
I was in an SNG a while ago and the first hand I look down to find pocket aces in the sb. There is a ton of action until it gets to me where I push all in and am called by one person. I win and by the second hand I am chip leader with 4200 chips!

Now what I was wondering is if this advantage would make a normally tight player become aggressive in the early rounds or would you just sit back on your chip lead?

Any comments or ideas would be very helpful because I want to know if I made the right decision.

11-27-2005, 11:34 PM
maybe my question or topic wasn't appropriate but to further elaborate in case of confusion

should my early big stack be considered in playing ahnds and making plays I usually wouldn't make in order to put more pressure on my opponents?

Pokerscott
11-27-2005, 11:44 PM
I would play normal tight until 50/100+ blinds. At that point I would start to pressure the 2nd/3rd stacks with 2.5x-3x raises on their blinds.

It doesn't change my play too much except I am a lot pushier on the bubble.

Pokerscott

durron597
11-27-2005, 11:50 PM
If you are comfortable playing in all gears, I would loosen up and start going for those pots no one wants. If you aren't comfortable playing anything other than your normal game, I wouldn't change a thing.

Big Limpin'
11-28-2005, 12:17 AM
i usually think:

"i have FE for the bubble, and id like to keep it that way"

not saying this is necessarily good thinking, but its how i go about it. what i mean is that i am basically playing the same with 1000 chips or 4000 chips that early...tight/passive without a big hand. Whats key is that you have the option of folding your next 40 hands and still have an average(ish) stack, so you have no pressure to make a move from desperation.

tigerite
11-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Steal a few more pots at 25/50 and especially 50/100 because, if you're played back at, you still have loads of chips for 75/150 and even 100/200..