PDA

View Full Version : Second best home game ever (LONG!)

Josh W
11-27-2005, 10:50 PM
They gathered at 5:00. But I digress.

Boris was down in the LA area. A number of us had heard that he was much more than a fish, so we decide to throw a homegame at my place. At 5:00, Boris shows up with mike l., DeathDonkey, gabe, Andy Fox, Justin A, and Sooga.

The 8 of us head out to dinner at a greasy Mexican food joint, where DD, Justin, and myself begin drinking to give others a fighting chance. We head back, but have to stop by at a liquor store so Justin can get some domestic swill beer (he doesn't like Newcastle or hefeweizen....but I think he likes gabe, so it's cool).

We spend the next 45 minutes divying up chips, then the next 6 hours losing them to DD.

Andy, to his credit, did manage to get even. But he got lucky. In most joints, his dealer abuse wouldn't be tolerated and he'da been 86'd more than a few times.

We decided that we now know the rules to Padoogi (Badugi), so we play some of that. Justin whispers to me that he's been running bad, and wants to make some side bets (see my "How I lost $100" post from 2 weeks ago). I politely decline, then duck because Andy's muck is headed for my forehead.

Boris, in an attempt to avoid Andy's contempt, tries to sit in a chair with wheels and takes a bit of a spill. This provided a much needed break from the poker festivities. DD appreciated this the most, because it gave him a chance to stack his chips. I began this paragraph with the sole intent of putting "attempt" and "contempt" in the same sentence. Whack.

Shortly thereafter, Boris leaves us to head back to Carlsbad (long drive), and Boris, I trust you made it safely.

We then devised a new game. It was called "Texas Hold em".

Oh, but it had a few twists. The blinds were different, but I won't go into it. Most importantly, we decided that the second best hand would get the pot. The best hand would get 2.5 Big Bets out of the pot, though.

After a few hands of this, we decide that the best hand should instead get 5 Big Bets. This actually proved to be a supertastic game. Nobody knows the perfect strategy except for me, so I won. In fact, I think it was said that I played that game at an expert level.

And really, it's good that I was an expert at that game. See, I had the worst seat in the house, since mike l. was on my right. He was definitely the favorite in the game. He played so many games at an expert level, it was really dizzying.

See, we were playing Omaha hi/lo. He scooped a nice pot with K732 then another one with 9885. See, I had always heard that those were...um....iffy hands. mike l. then tells me that he is actually able to 'play a few more hands since he plays at an expert level'.

I knew I was outclassed.

We switched games a few more times, and played PBadouokgi again. Sooga played a hand this particular orbit. Really, that's the "News" portion of this post. It really is newsworthy. He's a little on the snug side.

He stood pat from the get go and pumped the hand the whole way. mike l. expertly called down with like trips or something, just to be shown Sooga's smooth 6. Only because mike l. plays expertly was he able to play that hand to begin with.

We decide to switch back to "second best hold em" after taking a small break to pick up the cards off the floor (Andy missed the dealer with his toss). We now throw a new wrinkle in the game. We decide that if the best hand is a straight or better, it will scoop the pot.

One hand comes up where DD has 53 on a J642 board. People are pumping with there small pairs, hoping they are second best. However, DD is set to scoop it. River is a 5, and mike l. wins a big pot with his 73o. Ni han.

I look to mike l. and start to profess undying love. I tell him:

"mike l., the way you played that hand was...."

DD interupts:

"XXXXXX you XXXXX XXX XX XX luckXXXXXXX".

I continue...

"you played it...."

mike l. fills in the blanks for me:

"The word you are looking for is "expertly"".

Funny thing was I didn't think I was looking for that word. Turns out I was wrong.

By now, I'm pretty sure that the best possible hand in SBHE (Second best holdem) is the hand that I hold. This means that for this particular hand, the best hand is 88.

I limp or raise or drink. Maybe all three. Justin comes along, as does gabe. Gabe is complaining that "this dealer always kill me" because he keeps flopping sets. Gabe is not Persian.

So, yeah. I digress. I have 88, and Justin and Gabe are behind me. There's probably 5 or 6 others in the pot, too. Flop comes Q72, rainbow. Sweet. Somebody must have a Q, 7s will think they have 2nd best, but really I will. I pity my opponent. I really play this game at an expert level.

I pump it with Justin and gabe. I think gabe has a 7, because he thinks. I think Justin has two cards. Solid read, as it turns out. The turn is a 2, which is ugly. If somebody has a 2 and somebody has a queen, I'm now in third. Boo Hoo. It gets checked around. Oh yeah, there were 2 clubs on the flop.

River is 5c. I check, and Justin bets. He looks hesitant. Or regretful. Maybe both. gabe shakes his head and calls. I should note that if gabe ever calls, it's w/ head shaking. I'm sure I got 2nd best, so I checkraise. Justin then notes that his bet was retarded. Gabe concurs by subtely saying "YOU IDIOT!!!!!"

Gabe has a 7, Justin has a queen. He gets his 5 big bets, but had to put in 2 on the river. Gabe's head is about to go supernova.

A few minutes later (and a few minutes after that, and a few minutes after that and a few minutes after that and) I say "hey, Sooga, you see that river checkraise". Gabe quietly acknowledges that he remembers it by looking at Justin and whispering "YOU IDIOT!!!"

I think Andy then threw the cards.

We switch back to Dewgi, and mike l. is unhappy with the game. Somebody asks what we haven't played yet, and i say "third best holdem". Laugher ensued. Justin started to say something, but it really couldn't be heard over gabe whimpering "YOU ******* IDIOT".

It was the second best homegame ever. If anybody wants some domestic swill beer, stop on by.

Josh

Sooga
11-27-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

We switched games a few more times, and played PBadouokgi again. Sooga played a hand this particular orbit. Really, that's the "News" portion of this post. It really is newsworthy. He's a little on the snug side.

He stood pat from the get go and pumped the hand the whole way. mike l. expertly called down with like trips or something, just to be shown Sooga's smooth 6. Only because mike l. plays expertly was he able to play that hand to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, I didn't start with a pat 6. I drew 2 on the first draw and made it then. And also, to his credit, Mike did at least have a padoogi (it was a T or J, I think). I was almost afraid to bet my 6, fearing that with his vaunted expert play that Mike was setting me up for a raise with a 5 or 4 or something. Also, it's no joke - Mike truly does play padoogi on an expert level. Earlier in the game, he took my folded starting hand of KK97 double suited (we had a rule in place where you could play others' folded cards pre-draw), and somehow managed to turn that into a winner.

You also left out the part where you took a pot that was going to be mine and gave it to DD instead. As if he needed more chips.

mike l.
11-27-2005, 11:56 PM
thanks for hosting that great night of poker josh. i would just like to go on record that i once again won, although only $75 this time. death donkey won approximately $14,000.

but the important thing to note is i still have a perfect winning record in 2+2 home games. something like 7-0.

it should also be noted that i do not play either deuce to seven or padoogi at an expert level, but those are the only two.

best wishes,
mike l.

Justin A
11-28-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Gabe has a 7, Justin has a queen. He gets his 5 big bets, but had to put in 2 on the river. Gabe's head is about to go supernova.

A few minutes later (and a few minutes after that, and a few minutes after that and a few minutes after that and) I say "hey, Sooga, you see that river checkraise". Gabe quietly acknowledges that he remembers it by looking at Justin and whispering "YOU IDIOT!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I explained afterwards that I was fully willing to put in two extra bets on the river just to spite gabe. After hearing this mike l. decided that I had played the hand expertly, and he's the authority on these type of things.

Gabe
11-28-2005, 01:08 AM
YOU IDIOT

NLSoldier
11-28-2005, 03:55 AM
God dammit I should have cut my thanksgiving travels short to get back for this one /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Josh W
11-28-2005, 04:05 AM
It was honestly great. I hurt from laughing so much. There's a certain combination of personalities that are totally flamable when together. You get Andy's passive stubbornness, Sooga's quiet nittiness mike l.'s mikeldotedness, justin and my compulsive gambling, gabe philosophic ponderings of idiocy, etc...

flammable.

Josh

Justin A
11-28-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It was honestly great. I hurt from laughing so much. There's a certain combination of personalities that are totally flamable when together. You get Andy's passive stubbornness, Sooga's quiet nittiness mike l.'s mikeldotedness, justin and my compulsive gambling, gabe philosophic ponderings of idiocy, etc...

flammable.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that I was playing at a level less than expert?

DeathDonkey
11-28-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It was honestly great. I hurt from laughing so much. There's a certain combination of personalities that are totally flamable when together. You get Andy's passive stubbornness, Sooga's quiet nittiness mike l.'s mikeldotedness, justin and my compulsive gambling, gabe philosophic ponderings of idiocy, DeathDonkey's ridiculous lucksacking, etc...

flammable.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

-DeathDonkey

DeathDonkey
11-28-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that I was playing at a level less than expert?

[/ QUOTE ]

There were times when you were playing at a level less than conscious..your case of budweiser probably helped.

-DeathDonkey

andyfox
11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
That was the latest I've stayed out since the John Quincy Adams administraton. I kept threatening to leave, but I had to get even. I was winning the whole night, and it was hard work, but I did indeed manage to do it. Which was my best home game performance since the Magna Carta.

My favorite SBHE (second-best hold-em) hand was when the river ended up T-6-A-2-2, no flush possible. There were about eight of us who were still in the hand. Checked around. I was the small blind, so I proudly turned up my 8-7. Justin then turned up his 5-4, claiming, "Second best!" Alas, my 8-high didn't hold up for best, much to our chagrin.

My favorite omaha-8 hand was when DD ended up heads-up on the river against mike l. Now mike had been claiming expertise in omaha-8. Which, compared to the way the rest of us played, was a semi-accurate claim. So on the river, DD bets and mike calls. DD shows his cards and says, accurately, "6-low and a 7-high straight." mike lays down his cards, stares confusedly at the board, stares questioningly at DD's cards, stares perplexedly at his own cards, and politely asks, "Did I win any of this pot guys?"

Justin was nothing short of incredible. He decided to bank. Everyone gives him $200, he gives everyone $200 in chips, then proclaims he's $200 short. Josh graciously recounts the cash and discovers that Justin is not short, it's just that he can't discern the difference between $20 bills and $100 bills. Thus you see my concern to finish the evening's festivities with exactly $200, so as not to further confuse the young man.

I'm not sure which was funnier, Gabe's "YOU IDIOT!" or his apology to the family restaurant when he let out an expletive at something mike said that was almost a near-expert comment.

I too haven't laughed that hard in a long time, maybe since the Cro-Magnon era. And I am surely improving at card-throwing. It's all in the wrist.

Thanks, Josh.

andyfox
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Nothing to do with this thread, or anything else for that matter, but I just noticed that, above, it says:

"Please report anomalies to the forum master."

Doesn't that sound like something from a sci-fi movie?

mike l.
11-28-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stares perplexedly at his own cards, and politely asks, "Did I win any of this pot guys?"

[/ QUOTE ]

this was merely a ruse to trick any of you who might be catching on to the fact that i was playing o8 so expertly that i might bust the whole table.

Boris
11-28-2005, 06:50 PM
I thought it was pretty messed up how you guys colluded against me and then how Justin made a "funny" by pulling out the chair as I was sitting down. Real cool guys. I hope you had fun chopping up my $200 after I left. And as for Andy Fox being a nice guy and a non dealer abuser, well that's BS. I've seen the guy throw cards and you don't get aim and velocity like that without lots of practice. I should know. He must be a real live one to not get banned from the Commerce by now.

Seriously, it was a hoot meeting all of you. Let's do it again some time.

andyfox
11-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Second-best hold'em. DD bets out, as is his wont, and mike l. raises. Justin, Sooga and me are on the other side of the table. We all cold-call.

Mike says, "See, somebody's not thinking properly here, and it's not me. I think it's some of those guys over there."

I don't know how he knew, but he was right.

Sooga
11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Second-best hold'em. DD bets out, as is his wont, and mike l. raises. Justin, Sooga and me are on the other side of the table. We all cold-call.

Mike says, "See, somebody's not thinking properly here, and it's not me. I think it's some of those guys over there."

I don't know how he knew, but he was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's obvious by now that he knew because he was playing the game at an expert level.