PDA

View Full Version : never played NL, Advice please

Radio
11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Im considering a move from small stakes limit to small staked NL or POT limit holdem, But iv only ever played limit, so where do i begin? Im going to start at the micro limits and work my way up but what books should i buy and also What are the starting hand requirements when playing NL or PL compaired to limit?. I normaly use the tight starting hand chart from SSH when playing limit is it the same for NL/PL and how big should the pre-flp raises be ect?

JustToast
11-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Read Harrington on Hold'em

Typical pre-flop raise is 4xBB + 1 BB for every limper.

CaptainNoBeard
11-27-2005, 10:48 PM
harrington on hold'em is a fine starting place, but search around 2+2 a bit. you'll get more out of these boards then you will any textbook i can think of.

ajmargarine
11-27-2005, 10:52 PM
--read these forums. Post your hands, discuss/analyze other people's hands.
--4xBB(+1BB per limper) will get you started on PFR's.
--choose one. NL or PL. I find PL more complex, but I never played limit so that might be part of the problem. As there are many more NL games to choose from, I'd advise you to play NL and avoid PL until a time comes where you feel comfortable in NL.

Radio
11-28-2005, 08:37 PM
so are the starting hand requirments the same as a tight limit game? or is there a NL starting hand chart?

xorbie
11-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Starting hand requirements are definitely different. Dominated hands are much more of a liablity (especially in raised pots) and hands like AT and AJ lose a lot of value, while low pairs and mid suited connectors gain a lot because you can play fit or fold for the most part.

Hattifnatt
11-28-2005, 09:01 PM
1. Read Pot limit and No limit holdem by giaffone twice

2. Play only one table and think/analyze the game a lot. If you can afford it, dont play lower stakes than 0.25/0.50 NL. Post hands here you are unsure about if you played it correctly.

11-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I never really played much limit, but my guess is position is much, much, much more important in NL. Don't get involved with marginal aces or baby aces OOP. It usually is a recipe for disaster in NL.

Also, try and avoid the minraise, especially preflop.

4_2_it
11-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Bet sizes should be a % of the pot. Limit players often give huge implied odds for chasers. Make the chaser pay for his flush and resist the urge to pay him off (every time) when he hits it.

Radio
11-28-2005, 09:55 PM
so do the books have starting hand charts in them like the limit books do?

cwsiggy
11-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book is another book on no limit I recommend. Though it applies to tourney's mostly, there is enough info for cash games. He has a great starting hand chart in the book but it is much more readable at the web site. Hands above the diagonal line are suited, hands below are unsuited. Harrington's book talks about starting hand requirements. also, Lederer's video - More Secrets of No limit Hold'em has a starting hand chart.

http://lgb.philgordonpoker.com/index.php?q=node/15

good luck

soko
11-29-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2. Play only one table and think/analyze the game a lot. If you can afford it, dont play lower stakes than 0.25/0.50 NL. Post hands here you are unsure about if you played it correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

A search for 'giaffone "hold em" book' on google returns 9 pages non of which refer to any book on poker.

beavens
11-29-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A search for 'giaffone "hold em" book' on google returns 9 pages non of which refer to any book on poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

referring to PL & NL Poker by Bob Ciaffone & Stewart Reuben i'd assume.