PDA

View Full Version : Do I like the river?

Ulysses
07-04-2003, 02:31 AM
15-30. Terrible, semi-aggressive, wacky player (The Martian, The Ice-Cream Man, The Florida Cap) open-raises in the SB. I have KT in the BB and 3-bet. He calls.

Flop AK4r

He checks. I bet. He calls.

Turn (AK4)Q

He checks. I bet. He calls.

River (AK4Q)T

He checks. I bet.

What do you think?

Michael Davis
07-04-2003, 02:41 AM
Good bet.

PokerPrince
07-04-2003, 04:32 AM
In my experience, terrible players almost always just bet out when the fourth broadway card falls and they have it. Actually, most players will simply bet out for fear it will get checked behind them. I think it's a profitable bet.

PokerPrince

Softrock
07-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Ulysses - I think you probably won a decent pot but my read on this depends on HOW this is a terrible player. If he's terrible in the sense of overly aggressive plus calling if he has anything (which is what I suspect from the tone of your post) then you played it well and are in great shape. If he's a weaker-tighter player that I encounter with some frequency who would back off with AT fearing you had AK or AQ and then also fear you had a J for the straight on the river then you could be beat. I often end up in trouble against such players where I assume I'm in the lead only to find out that their fear of me caused them to play way too passively.

Ulysses
07-04-2003, 04:30 PM
He called. My hand was good.

Here are my thoughts on all streets.

Pre-flop: This guy will raise here w/ anything marginally playable. Easy 3-bet w/ KT.

Flop: Nice, a pair. His check-call here could mean anything - a straight draw, a weak Ace, a pocket pair.

Turn: OK, I'm probably still good. He still calls? He has either a pair or a weak Ace. Good chance he has an Ace. I'm going to check behind on the river unless I improve.

River: If he has a Jack, he'd bet this. If he has AK/AQ, he would have checkraised me on the turn. The only hand he might have that can beat me is AT. And he won't checkraise me w/ that hand. In fact, he'd probably just bet that out. I suspect he has a weak Ace and will call me down.

Ulysses
07-04-2003, 04:36 PM
If he's terrible in the sense of overly aggressive plus calling if he has anything

Important distinction to draw, and yes, that's basically the kind of terrible he is.

Even with the possible straight on the turn, he'd check-raise me w/ two pair 100% of the time, so there's no chance I'm up against AK/AQ. However, I think it's 50/50 that he checks/bets AT on the end. I bet because he'll call w/ any Ace (and potentially even a King against a player like me).

skp
07-04-2003, 05:53 PM
A case of mixed emotions: despair when the river card lands, euphoria (okay, I agree that's too strong a word) when he checks.

In any event, it's a gimme bet IMO after he checks. It's rare to find checkraise attempts when the nuts are so obvious and so relatively easy to have. He is not folding a better hand but he will call with lots of inferior hands

Ed S.
07-04-2003, 06:34 PM
"What do you think?"

Ship It!