PDA

View Full Version : how to play top set on the flop?

BigBiceps
11-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Say you raise preflop.
You flop top set with JJ QQ KK or AA.
Let's say you are in middle position with first to act check to you and one to act behind you.
Let's say there are 2 cards to a broadway straight and 2 cards to a flush.

I have been making my normal continuation bet here, but the last 3 times in the last session AAA KKK and QQQ, I got no action.

Is there a better way to play this? Or is the only way to check and to risk getting drawn out on?

JaBlue
11-27-2005, 09:35 PM
I always bet in these spots. Sometimes opponents will be drawing to gutshots or flushes or crap and will not pay you off unless they hit. It is then bad to give a free card, even if you don't make money when they don't call. Also giving them a chance to bluff-raise you or semi-bluff with a draw is good

zaphod
11-27-2005, 09:41 PM
I would have been betting here most of the time anyway, so why not bet when i hit?

It must be better to win a small pot than to loose a big one. Say you check and all check on the flop. What are you going to do if one of the drawing cards hits on the turn?
And if no drawing card hits on the turn, chanses are that you will not get much action anyway.

Since you got no action maybee you should change table, or if you stay start raising more, and continue taking the pots down on the flop.

stu-unger
11-27-2005, 09:45 PM
if u c-bet when u miss, u must bet when u flop a monster. i find it really scary when someone makes a PFR then checks a broadway flop...

11-27-2005, 10:23 PM
I think you have to bet in this spot. When you slowplay it, you're basically hoping that someone will improve their hand on the turn enough so they'll call a bet that they wouldn't have on the flop, but not enough to beat you. The problem is, with a broadway straight draw and a flush draw, there are more scare cards out there than cards that will improve your opponent to the 2nd best hand. Sometimes you won't even be able to tell the difference. Let's say you have KK with a Kh Td 6h flop. A Qh comes on the turn and your opponent starts betting. Did he just make a straight? A flush? Pair of queens? You have no idea. Can you really fold a set here? Now you're in a tough spot because you have no idea where you stand. I'd rather just take down the 3x your preflop raise that's in the pot on the flop than be in that situation on the turn. Plus, like others have said, you have to bet your made hands if you want your continuation bets to get any respect. It sucks, but sometimes you just can't get paid off for your good hands. I'd still rather win a small pot than lose a big one though. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

scdavis0
11-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Feel free to slowplay the nut full or quads

11-27-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been making my normal continuation bet here, but the last 3 times in the last session AAA KKK and QQQ, I got no action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this strategy is correct. You just can't give free cards when the next street is more likely to help an opponent break you than you break him. Also, you probably don't want to bet much smaller than your normal c-bet since an aware opponent will quickly pick up on this. You bascially just have to hope that someone hit two pair or a smaller set.